IGNORED

P-Card disk set marked "Internal Use Only" -- what is this?

I have a set of disks for the P-Code card.  They are marked with a sticker which says, "For Internal Use Only, Not For Resale."

Is there any historical reason for these to be special?

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

I have a set of disks for the P-Code card.  They are marked with a sticker which says, "For Internal Use Only, Not For Resale."

Is there any historical reason for these to be special?

Maybe a early beta test release. Or the later control data version. Make a disk image of them and then we can compare to the current known ones.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gary from OPA said:

Maybe a early beta test release. Or the later control data version. Make a disk image of them and then we can compare to the current known ones.

I should get around to that later this week.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

These are the four disks marked "Internal Use Only."  Note that the Assembler/Linker and Utilities disks both have bad sectors.

Edited by OLD CS1
Removed failed images.
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Vorticon said:

I was intrigued by a program called XCOPY.CODE on the utilities disk, but it won't execute.

Perhaps that spans one of the bad sectors.

I assume the SuperCard and FD-5025 will return the same results as the KyroFlux, but I will try the disks with bad sectors on each of those later on.  I will also try another disk drive, as I am to be testing drives this week.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JasonACT said:

Looks like the 2nd half of each of the disk images are all >00 bytes.

Well, I do not have a way to determine whether these disks are any good or not.  Someone else is welcome to take them on at this point.  I have no use for them, and without a promise of their fidelity, there is no sense in me keeping them for archival purposes.

5 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

Well, I do not have a way to determine whether these disks are any good or not.  Someone else is welcome to take them on at this point.  I have no use for them, and without a promise of their fidelity, there is no sense in me keeping them for archival purposes.

Try dumping a known good & full 90KB disk to an image file...  I suspect something else is going on here.  All 4 (so 6 now) files in your archive(s) look like they are missing data.

Just now, JasonACT said:

Lots of zeros in the 2nd half of the image.  From >B400 onwards to the end @ >16800.  (That's exactly half the disk.)

I think something is going wrong with how you're dumping these.

I am using KyroFlux with a DSDD drive, using a custom image mode (see attached.)  At this point, I do not have the time nor patience to continue mucking about with this.  If someone wants these disks, they are welcome to them.  I will suss out the drive imaging issues when I get back next month.

Clipboard02.png

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

I am using KyroFlux with a DSDD drive, using a custom image mode (see attached.)  At this point, I do not have the time nor patience to continue mucking about with this.  If someone wants these disks, they are welcome to them.  I will suss out the drive imaging issues when I get back next month.

Clipboard02.png

I've got a GreaseWeasel 4.0, don't know if it'd do any better than a Kyroflux, but I can give it a try?

58 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

Clipboard02.png

Based on your selections, it looks like you may only be reading side 0, as it looks like you are set up to read a SS, 90K disk from those parameters.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ksarul said:

Based on your selections, it looks like you may only be reading side 0, as it looks like you are set up to read a SS, 90K disk from those parameters.

Are the P-Card disks DSSD?  I am generating 90k images, with the last 45k (per @JasonACT) is all >00.

1 minute ago, OLD CS1 said:

Are the P-Card disks DSSD?  I am generating 90k images, with the last 45k (per @JasonACT) is all >00.

p-System disks can be SSSD, DSSD, SSDD, or DSDD, although most of them from TI will be SSSD or DSSD. Any DD disks that TI made will be 16 sectors per track instead of the more usual 18 of third-party controllers (other than Myarc, which supports both formats). Those disks would have been for the Hex-Bus floppy controller though, and thus would have come from very late in the development cycle.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ksarul said:

p-System disks can be SSSD, DSSD, SSDD, or DSDD, although most of them from TI will be SSSD or DSSD. Any DD disks that TI made will be 16 sectors per track instead of the more usual 18 of third-party controllers (other than Myarc, which supports both formats). Those disks would have been for the Hex-Bus floppy controller though, and thus would have come from very late in the development cycle.

Setting up for double-sided reports the second side as unformatted.  I expect the KyroFlux to detect the correct number of sectors, if the SSSD format has any sector oddities.

• Like 1

I am up later than expected, so I gave it one last whack while I am waiting for a task to complete.  I changed the settings for my 90k profile, and while the image is now 180k, there is 90k of data in the image.  Give this a try.  After this, I am done for a while, though I would appreciate someone who gets actual 90k images using KryoFlux sharing their profile settings with me.  Everything else I do seems to work just fine, just the TI images are giving me fits for all of a sudden.

(I think I figured it out... I have been too distracted and too tired to realize that I should be using HD drives with these devices, not real DD drives.  Hell with it.)

P-Card Disks Marked Internal Use Only (Last Try).zip

• Like 4

Those images are comparing well with the p-code disks we have, but there's a few differences.

asm-lnk:

Disk names switch between using "-" and "/".

Directory sector seems a bit older (less modified).

No other differences.

compiler:

Disk names "COMPILR" vs "P-COMPILER".

No other differences.

editor-filer:

Disk names switch between using "-" and "/".

Directory sector seems a bit older (less modified).

Missing "MODRS232.CODE".

Due to the missing file, there's a lot of "never written" sectors on this disk.

utility:

There's quite a few sectors on these disks which seem to have been redacted.

1/ Names mentioning "EXTRAOI", "STRINGOP", "HEAPOPS" and "PASCALIO" appear, where the release version doesn't have them.

2/ Name "XGROM" has been removed in the released version.

3/ ? not sure about this one (file offset >14700 - 256 bytes)

4..onwards/ >E5 (sector formatted but never written) appears, where the release disk seems to be just repeating bytes of various meaningless values.

• Like 2

The names listed as item 1/ on the utility disk are reserved for segments that are a part of the file SYSTEM.PASCAL. 

That file is on the OS: volume, but can be updated by supplying selected segments in another SYSTEM.PASCAL on the boot disk.

Either these segments are planned updates that then never happened or they have been included in OS:SYSTEM.PASCAL and thus aren't needed.

Edited by apersson850
  • Like 3