IGNORED

Exclusive commercial releases for Atari 8bit computers.

Posted (edited)

Has anyone created a list of Atari 8bit titles released exclusively for the Atari computer range. I can think of a few like some Romox titles, Starion and Sea Chase and Datamost released Tail of Beta Lyrae which was not released for other systems. I’m sure there are a ton of them.

I ask because I have been adding a top 100 list my “Atari Dreams” project and thought a list of exclusive titles might be interesting to many.

The Atari Dreams project was inspired by Zombeaver’s C64 Dreams and eXo’s eXoDOS. It is built on the Launchbox platform and will contain not only games but educational and productivity software all with manuals. I have been meticulous in hunting down box covers and spines and media to compliment the collection. There is also a Literature section that contains magazines, hardware manuals and books.

There will also sections for the ST, 2600, 5200, 7800, Lynx and Jaguar. I have made a minor start on these machines but have been concentrating mainly on the 8bit computer systems. So far I have 2k commercial titles cataloged with plans to add type-ins over time.

I hope to have a torrent release for v.1 toward the end of this year. I have attached some game play screens for 8bit and ST.

IMG_0064.jpeg

IMG_0063.jpeg

Edited by k1w1
  • Like 1

It's an interesting topic, as there are different types of "exclusiveness". For example:

•  there are games that are A8 exclusives only among other popular 8-bit machines (like "Alley Cat"),
  •  there are games that were exclusives, but homebrew developers converted them to another platform in recent years (like "Nadral"). 
  •  there are titles which are unique, although the games actually are clones of other popular games

So it depends on your definition of the word ;)

As I understand, you want to count only commercial releases, so "Nadral" would fit, but what about "Alley Cat", which was released commercially also for IBM PC?

Also, I assume that you're interested in English language only exclusives? I'm asking, because there's a bunch of Polish and German unique games.

Top ten exclusives thread:

Here is a discussion about "exclusives" but just by comparing Atari 8-bit games to Commodore 64:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, k1w1 said:

Thanks Adam, that is very helpful. I searched the site prior to my post and didn’t see these.

You're welcome :) So which type of exclusiveness is interesting for you in this case?

I suppose I am looking at those titles that were released initially only for the A8 class systems and no other computer. The collection will encompass all commercial releases foreign and domestic and at this stage I will not be including unreleased, prototype, homebrew and recently released (post 2000) software.

• Like 1