IGNORED

Extra stuff, supplemental material, additional contents, mail away, etc.

jeremiahjt

Has anybody ever compiled a list of all the extras that came, or could be sent away for, 2600 VCS games?  I searched, but I could not find anything.  I mean the stuff that came in the box originally, and the the things that could be sent away for.  Here is an early list of everything I could think of off the top of my head.

Came with the game when it was new:

Indy 500 (and Race)-Driving Controllers in separate box *Atari Corp. rerelease was game only

Star Raiders-Video Touch Pad in separate box with overlay

Alpha Beam with Ernie-overlay

Big Bird's Egg Catch-overlay

Cookie Monster Munch-overlay

Oscar's Trash Race-overlay

BASIC Programming-two overlays

Star Trek: SOS-controller overlay

Sub Scan-score target card, target score stickers, extra stickers

Tac-Scan-score target card, target score stickers, extra stickers

Space Shuttle-4 and 6 switch overlays, deck card *later releases omitted these

Bridge-partner bidding insert

Starmaster-Power of Starmaster insert

E.T.-tip sheet *not always included

Bermuda Triangle-story sheet

Frankenstein's Monster-story sheet

Spy Hunter-Dual Control Module and Velcro pads

Eli's Ladder-wall chart and stickers

MagiCard-overlays

Track & Field-controller

Berenstain Bears-cassette tapes

Omega Race-Booster Grip

Tron two game pack-joystick

Games which had a controller that you may consider that you bought the controller and the game(s) came with it

Spitfire Attack-Flight Commander

Survival Run-Cosmic Commander

Mogul Maniac-Joyboard

Video Jogger and Video Reflex-Foot Craz

Phaser Patrol-Supercharger

Smurfs Save the Day-Kid Vid Voice Module with casettes

Material sealed outside of box:

Superman-wallet (not all copies had it)

M*A*S*H-tee shirt (pretty sure not all copies had it)

Things you could send away for:

Raiders of the Lost Ark-Solution Sheet and Tip Sheet

No Escape!-joystick (nothing on the joystick connects to No Escape!, so not sure this should count)

I am sure I missed some stuff, or could be wrong about something, too.  If anybody knows of another thread that covered this, link to it please.

Okay, off the top of my head...

• Omega Race (CBS Electronics) came bundled with the Booster Grip controller.

• Lots and lots of games came with poster/catalogs or catalogs without the poster, warranty and registration cards.

• Sub Scan and Tac-Scan (by Sega) both came with a "Performance Tracking Card" and five little circular stickers to apply to the Tracking Card.  They also came with 3 additional, larger stickers to put on whatever you want.

• Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator (also by Sega) came with a joystick overlay.

• Keystone Kapers came with a "Katch the Krook" scratcher card where you could win prizes.

• Riddle of the Sphinx (Imagic) came with a "Can you Solve the Riddle of the Sphinx," which was a single sheet $1,000 cash prize entry form. When the contest was over, it then included a "Secrets of the Sphinx" single sheet of Hints to help you solve the Riddle of the Sphinx.

• No Escape! (Imagic) came with an offer form to get a FREE Zircon Video Command Controller. The form is part of the game's instruction manual, on the back of the last page.

• Solar Storm (Imagic) came with a Free "Survivor" T-Shirt form, which required only a photograph of your score of 5,000 points or more playing the game. The form is also on the back of the last page of the game's instruction manual.

• Most Activision games had embroidered, iron-on patches you could win for free, provided you mailed in a photo of your qualifying high score.

• Rescue Terra I came with a single-sheet $1,000 contest entry form.

• There is a blue M-Network "Tron" controller, which I am not sure how you got it but most likely it came with or could be sent away for with either (or both?) of Tron Deadly Discs or The Adventures of Tron.

I am certain there are plenty of others.

-Ben

2 hours ago, Atari_Warlord said:

Are you counting comic books?  If so, the 3 Swordquest games and the He-Man one had them.  Also the Atari Force series came in Defender, Berzerk, Star Raiders, Phoenix, and Galaxian.

Good point, I forgot about the comic books.

1 hour ago, Pitfall Harry said:

Omega Race (CBS Electronics) came bundled with the Booster Grip controller.

Already got it.

1 hour ago, Pitfall Harry said:

Lots and lots of games came with poster/catalogs or catalogs without the poster, warranty and registration cards.

I do not want to include catalogs and warranty cards.

2 hours ago, Pitfall Harry said:

Sub Scan and Tac-Scan (by Sega) both came with a "Performance Tracking Card" and five little circular stickers to apply to the Tracking Card.  They also came with 3 additional, larger stickers to put on whatever you want.

Already got it.

Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator (also by Sega) came with a joystick overlay.

Already got it.

Keystone Kapers came with a "Katch the Krook" scratcher card where you could win prizes.

Hmm. I think that would count.

Riddle of the Sphinx (Imagic) came with a "Can you Solve the Riddle of the Sphinx," which was a single sheet $1,000 cash prize entry form. When the contest was over, it then included a "Secrets of the Sphinx" single sheet of Hints to help you solve the Riddle of the Sphinx.

I was thinking I should not include contest entry forms, but maybe I should. Definitely the hint sheet, though.

No Escape! (Imagic) came with an offer form to get a FREE Zircon Video Command Controller. The form is part of the game's instruction manual, on the back of the last page.

Already got it.

Solar Storm (Imagic) came with a Free "Survivor" T-Shirt form, which required only a photograph of your score of 5,000 points or more playing the game. The form is also on the back of the last page of the game's instruction manual.

Another one I am not sure about.

Most Activision games had embroidered, iron-on patches you could win for free, provided you mailed in a photo of your qualifying high score.

I did not want to include the Activision patches.

Rescue Terra I came with a single-sheet $1,000 contest entry form.

Another contest entry form, hmmm.

There is a blue M-Network "Tron" controller, which I am not sure how you got it but most likely it came with or could be sent away for with either (or both?) of Tron Deadly Discs or The Adventures of Tron.

Already got it.

3 hours ago, Atari_Warlord said:

Are you counting comic books?  If so, the 3 Swordquest games and the He-Man one had them.  Also the Atari Force series came in Defender, Berzerk, Star Raiders, Phoenix, and Galaxian.

There's also The Qotile Ultimatum comic book inside Yars' Revenge, and also a Centipede comic book inside Centipede.

-Ben

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Asteroids included a 1-sheet flyer titled, "Attention: Atari Asteroids Game Program cartridge owners," telling new owners how much the VCS game is like the original coin-op arcade game and how it is different.

I believe Rescue Bira Bira, a homebrew hack of Jungle Fever, included a tiny wooden Tiki statue (presumably of Bira Bira).  But somebody who knows for sure better check on that.

-Ben

Edited by Pitfall Harry
  • Like 1

The original 1967 vinyl  release  of The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band came with a single sheet of paper cutouts, which included the following items:

•    An illustrated picture of the fictional Sgt. Pepper

•    A pair of sergeant stripes, to wear on each sleeve

•    A fake moustache, so you can look like Sgt. Pepper

•    Two badges - one with a picture of Sgt. Pepper, the other with the Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band logo.

•    A picture of the four Beatles decked out in their Sgt. Pepper's band uniforms.

Of course, none of this has anything to do with Atari videogames.  I just wanted to put it out there. And yes, I've got the complete set.

-Ben

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pitfall Harry said:

The original 1967 vinyl  release  of The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band came with a single sheet of paper cutouts, which included the following items:

•    An illustrated picture of the fictional Sgt. Pepper

•    A pair of sergeant stripes, to wear on each sleeve

•    A fake moustache, so you can look like Sgt. Pepper

•    Two badges - one with a picture of Sgt. Pepper, the other with the Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band logo.

•    A picture of the four Beatles decked out in their Sgt. Pepper's band uniforms.

Of course, none of this has anything to do with Atari videogames.  I just wanted to put it out there. And yes, I've got the complete set.

-Ben

You probably also have the Cheech & Chong Album, with the giant rolling paper. :P 

6 minutes ago, cvga said:

Didn't Popeye have a scratch off similar to "Katch the Krook" with Keystone Kapers?

Ha, now I am curious and have to look at my Parker boxes, I think I actually have that.  IIRC, it was spinach cans you rubbed off.

31 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

You probably also have the Cheech & Chong Album, with the giant rolling paper. :P 

Nah.  I'm not a record collector.  It's just something I inherited from my parents, who bought the album on its first day of release in the U.S.

-Ben