IGNORED

Top 10 Best Amiga Games of All Time - Do You Agree?

Top 10 Best Amiga Games of All Time - Do You Agree?

I decided to rank my personal top 10 Amiga games of all time and unleash my controversial views in this fun video. Did your favourite game make my list? Or am I crazy?! All feedback appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think you have both Monkey Island, and they were better on the PC VGA for sure ... at that time I confess I did not like much the Lucasfilm style adventures so I was a little surprised by your choice ... (I did put some quality time with Loom but I don't think I completed it).

You have not a single Bitmap Borther game or Cinemaware game or Psygnosis game .... weird.

Only Zool as action/platform ... mmmhhh.

Posted (edited)

I was hoping for fewer massively-multiplatform games, since it gives me a lot less to work with exploring a system I'm not too familiar with. I generally played those titles on MSDOS, but when I hit the Amiga collections there are just so many exclusives or amiga/st games that I've barely heard of.

I do miss bullfrog. For a few years they were really on top of the world.

Edited by Reaperman

Posted (edited)

You're missing some very good games:

Populous

Warhead
Laser Squad

UFO: Enemy Unknown (aka X-COM)
Wings

Lemmings

Kingdoms of England

Elite (available on almost every platform except Atari 8-bit, but the Amiga version was one of the best)

F/A 18 Interceptor (and how could anyone leave that out... it must have sold more Amigas than any other game from the demo running in the shop windows!)

But fair enough, we all prefer different things.

Edited by aeberbach
how could I leave out Warhead...

On 5/18/2024 at 6:36 AM, cwilkson said:

Need the TLDR text version!

Where's the game list?  :)

NoteGPT comes to the rescue:

“North and South,” “Theme Park,” “Zool,” “Syndicate,” “Moonstone,” “Another World,” “Dune II,” “Monkey Island 2,” “Sensible World of Soccer,” and “The Secret of Monkey Island.”

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, newtmonkey said:

NoteGPT comes to the rescue:

“North and South,” “Theme Park,” “Zool,” “Syndicate,” “Moonstone,” “Another World,” “Dune II,” “Monkey Island 2,” “Sensible World of Soccer,” and “The Secret of Monkey Island.”

Yay!  Thanks for that.  Glad to see Dune II and Monkey Island there.  And ***SYNDICATE***.  That's a great one!

I'm surprised to see no mention of Pirates! or Civilization (or Settlers or Cannon Fodder).

But tastes vary and so too does exposure.  Anyone who hasn't played those games should do it right now.

And Lemmings.  Lemmings is an absolute must!  And Worms.  And Cannon Fodder!  God, those tombstones...

And Turrican II.  That game was beautiful.  And the sound would get stuck in your head for days.

Thump, thump, thump, thu-thu-thump......

Most of my gaming was console based at that time.  Because Amigas were sadly too exensive.

I did manage to play a few once I got to college and had friends in animation studies (Video Toaster, FTW!!).

I would camp out in the Calc Lab where my friend worked and play Pirates! sometimes for 2-3 hours at a time.

But most of my Amiga time was probably concentrated in the fall of 1990.  One of my frat brothers had an Amiga....A1000?

We decided that as an MIT frat we were duty bound to beat The Lurking Horror.  Not an Amiga exclusive, or even a particular standout.

But it's tied with Pirates! for "most Amiga screen time for me".  For about 2 weeks that Amiga was never turned off (try that on a PC!!) and neither were we!

Go to class, come home and play, eat at the keyboard, homework and sleep (maybe) beside the active player, then back to class.

We tag teamed the game and even sent scouts out on campus to gather ideas when we got stuck.  That actually helped once or twice

because the game is based at MIT ("G.U.E. Tech" in the game).  At one point I came in to find them trying to disassemble the game manually.

so they coudl squeeze the optimally short path out of the game.  There was always someone playing the game or working on the scoring effort.

Usually with a few people clustered around laughing and shouting at the game and each other.

Who knew playing a text adventure could be such a strong a social experience??!

We beat it.  And then we set about maximizing the score/moves.

I think they eventually got the game into something resembling source code including the interpreter and the data files.

Wish I still had that!

Edited by cwilkson
  • Like 1