IGNORED

Looking for 65XE PAL ROM file

On 5/16/2024 at 1:47 PM, reifsnyderb said:

Attached is Atari's OS 3 with the bank fix:

atarios3f.rom 16 kB · 10 downloads

Here is the same but with the HIAS high speed SIO:

atarios3f_hs.rom 16 kB · 11 downloads

I got the EPROM today, pulled the Arabic ROM off (surprised it is a standard 27128 EPROM from the factory with an atari label covering the window)... Socketed the board and used the 3f ROM and it worked like a charm. PAL sure feels slow compared to the NTSC version...

What is the HIAS SIO? does that make all read/writes fast like a Happy 1050?

Any conflict with it? Fujinet etc?

Fast SIO is only of use if your drive supports it, though of course practically all emulated devices do so making it worthwhile.

The key repeat rate is annoyingly slow regardless of TV standard.  In theory the Rom image could be patched to customize such things though it can also be changed by poking the Ram based variables.  Custom Rom though would mean you need to recalculate the Rom checksums.

Are all 65XE boards a 130 XE board with half the RAM? I assume you cant simply add more RAM...

Yeah, I just meant since PAL has aa slightly slower clock. If you are used to NTSC then you really notice it.

41 minutes ago, sideburn said:

Are all 65XE boards a 130 XE board with half the RAM?

Most PAL 65XE's are; you can tell by the presence of an ECI connector.

43 minutes ago, sideburn said:

I assume you cant simply add more RAM...

Yeah, you need the EMMU chip too, which supports bankswitching.

10 hours ago, MrFish said:

Most PAL 65XE's are; you can tell by the presence of an ECI connector.

That's not strictly true - the C100455 "65XEN" mainboard has ECI but has space for only 64 KB. Coincidentally, AFAIK all Arabic 65XEs we've seen so far contained this board type.

11 hours ago, sideburn said:

Yeah, I just meant since PAL has aa slightly slower clock. If you are used to NTSC then you really notice it.

It's less than 1% slower, I doubt you would notice. The difference you see is probably caused by the slower frame rate.

Posted (edited)

It is the frame rate - in fact with the default Gr. 0 screen in effect, a PAL machine is actually faster because less cycles are lost to Antic graphics and refresh steals, plus fewer VBlank NMIs leave some extra cycles as well.

Edited by Rybags

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Kr0tki said:

That's not strictly true - the C100455 "65XEN" mainboard has ECI but has space for only 64 KB. Coincidentally, AFAIK all Arabic 65XEs we've seen so far contained this board type.

It's less than 1% slower, I doubt you would notice. The difference you see is probably caused by the slower frame rate.

Mine is the Arabic board. says 130 xe on it. 

I can totally notice the speed difference. Immediately. It was the first thing I noticed and thought wow it’s a lot slower. And I was surprised because I knew it wasn’t a much slower clock. when I powered up with a game in it, the music was slower and the game play is. It’s a pretty big difference with games. The ntsc version is zippier. 

**** oh. Yeah I’m sure you are right. It’s probly the frame  rate. I was going to say the tempo is about 10 steps lower and that’s about the difference in Hz on the frame rate. 

also get a bit of letterboxing on top and bottom of the screen on the 4:3 aspect ratio. 

I can’t remember off hand what PAL is vs 640x480 ntsc 

Edited by sideburn

Posted (edited)

I’ve been doing conversions of old retro machines to “laptops” or portables (here’s a link to one I just did, a 1977 Superboard II -  https://osiweb.org/osiforum/viewtopic.php?t=882 )

anyway now I’m doing an XE portable as my next one so I bought a 4:3 new LCD monitor off Amazon that can do PAL to take apart and pull the lcd out and to my surprise the whole LCD and speakers  are all hot glued into place, no screws.. Crazy! I guess that’s how they do modern manufacturing now on low cost electronic stuff. 

should be a fun challenge with the dremel tool and hot air gun trying to get them out of there. 

Edited by sideburn

2 hours ago, Kr0tki said:

I thought that might be the case -- after I posted. Here's the board you're talking about.

Atari65XENMotherboard.thumb.jpg.7f6badceecbf61c97736941bf2b9c04a.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrFish said:

I thought that might be the case -- after I posted. Here's the board you're talking about.

Atari65XENMotherboard.thumb.jpg.7f6badceecbf61c97736941bf2b9c04a.jpg

It would probably be easier to expand the memory in this type of motherboard using an SRAM solution. The 800XLF is similar in that there is no easy conventional upgrade path due to FREDDIE and no space for an EMMU. At least it has an ECI port!

If the motherboard is of the 130XE type then going to 320KB conventionally is very straightforward using the 800XE320 EMMU design from Jurgen. I have done a few 65XE/130XE like that.

7 minutes ago, TZJB said:

It would probably be easier to expand the memory in this type of motherboard using an SRAM solution. The 800XLF is similar in that there is no easy conventional upgrade path due to FREDDIE and no space for an EMMU. At least it has an ECI port!

If the motherboard is of the 130XE type then going to 320KB conventionally is very straightforward using the 800XE320 EMMU design from Jurgen. I have done a few 65XE/130XE like that.

On the other hand, if you're got an ECI, you can skip internal upgrades altogether and just get an AVG/SUB Cart, TurboFreezer 2011, or Sys-Check, etc. for extended RAM.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MrFish said:

On the other hand, if you're got an ECI, you can skip internal upgrades altogether and just get an AVG/SUB Cart, TurboFreezer 2011, or Sys-Check, etc. for extended RAM.

1090XL + ECI adapter + ECI pin A fix + whatever cards you want.   :-D

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MrFish said:

What is that?

Connect ECI pin A to pin 16 of the MMU (U3 / CO61608) so as to provide the missing EXTENB signal required by some memory upgrades.

(I've made a card that re-creates that signal on a 1090XL.  But it's a lot cheaper to just add a wire, internally, to a 130XE.)

1 minute ago, reifsnyderb said:

Connect ECI pin A to pin 16 of the MMU (U3 / CO61608) so as to provide the missing EXTENB signal required by some memory upgrades.

OK

2 minutes ago, reifsnyderb said:

(I've made a card that re-creates that signal on a 1090XL.  But it's a lot cheaper to just add a wire, internally, to a 130XE.)

What's the difference in cost?

23 minutes ago, reifsnyderb said:

I've developed but haven't priced a card yet.  It would probably be close to $30.  If you can solder, it's much cheaper to just add the wire.

I don't have a problem with soldering; I was just curious about the difference in cost between the two approaches. So, you're saying without the ECI pin A fix, the cost would be $30 more for the same memory upgrade?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MrFish said:

I don't have a problem with soldering; I was just curious about the difference in cost between the two approaches. So, you're saying without the ECI pin A fix, the cost would be $30 more for the same memory upgrade?

No.  On an XE, an ECI is required to interface with the 1090XL.  However Atari did not supply the EXTENB signal to the ECI but left pin A disconnected.  So, in order to use a normal 1090XL memory upgrade, you need to either add that signal back to the ECI.  (This would allow the ECI to PBI adapter to have the EXTENB signal.)  Or, you need extra logic to generate the EXTENB signal on the 1090XL.

Edited by reifsnyderb

1 minute ago, MrFish said:

Right... so, I'm asking, what is the added cost for that?

To just add the wire?  A piece of wire and some solder.  The card hasn't been priced yet.  Figuring normal markup.....probably $20 to $30.  Bare boards cost $5, or so, with the shipping cost.  The components cost at least another $5.  Then there is chip programming, soldering, board cleaning, and testing.

Also needed is the ECI to PBI adapter board.

Adding the board also takes up a card slot.  So, I recommend connecting the ECI pin A, if possible.

4 minutes ago, reifsnyderb said:

To just add the wire?  A piece of wire and some solder.

I obviously wasn't asking about wire and solder, because my question was posed quoting your statement "you need extra logic to generate the EXTENB signal on the 1090XL". So, I was asking about the cost of that.

39 minutes ago, MrFish said:

I obviously wasn't asking about wire and solder, because my question was posed quoting your statement "you need extra logic to generate the EXTENB signal on the 1090XL". So, I was asking about the cost of that.

True.  Maybe I should have phrased that differently.  Adding the wire is the ideal solution.  The board is the plug and play solution.  But the board isn't ideal. 

It's a shame Atari never connected the EXTENB line to the ECI when they even had a pin available to do so.  Instead, they added a /D1xx line...which added yet another incompatibility with the PBI.

21 minutes ago, reifsnyderb said:

True.  Maybe I should have phrased that differently.  Adding the wire is the ideal solution.  The board is the plug and play solution.  But the board isn't ideal. 

Yes, I get all that; adding one wire is a very simple addition for the benefits it provides. However, I would add that "ideal" is in the eye of the beholder; for some people, they're not interested in adding wires anywhere inside their machine. They may have different reasons for that, like, typically, they either can't solder at all (or don't have confidence in doing it, at least), or just don't want to modify their machine in any way (they want to keep it stock). There are plenty of memory upgrades using ECI that require no internal modifications, which are appreciated by a lot people for just that reason.

21 minutes ago, reifsnyderb said:

It's a shame Atari never connected the EXTENB line to the ECI when they even had a pin available to do so.  Instead, they added a /D1xx line...which added yet another incompatibility with the PBI.

I know there are various complaints about ECI, and differences with PBI. Ultimately, they're pretty minimal; and I just appreciate the fact that ECI and PBI exist and can facilitate a host of various useful upgrades. The 1200XL, well... that's another story.

1 hour ago, MrFish said:

Yes, I get all that; adding one wire is a very simple addition for the benefits it provides. However, I would add that "ideal" is in the eye of the beholder; for some people, they're not interested in adding wires anywhere inside their machine. They may have different reasons for that, like, typically, they either can't solder at all (or don't have confidence in doing it, at least), or just don't want to modify their machine in any way (they want to keep it stock). There are plenty of memory upgrades using ECI that require no internal modifications, which are appreciated by a lot people for just that reason.

I know there are various complaints about ECI, and differences with PBI. Ultimately, they're pretty minimal; and I just appreciate the fact that ECI and PBI exist and can facilitate a host of various useful upgrades. The 1200XL, well... that's another story.

Agreed on all points.

I have a 1200XL and really wish it had a PBI.  I refuse to do the rat's nest mod to add a PBI to it.