IGNORED

PP hdd adaptions and HDDriver

I would have thought they would work fine, I use ICD Pro both on a "real" hard drive

and a USB stick via NetUSBEE and they (mostly) work fine on my STE.

What ST/version of TOS are you using.

37 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

I would have thought they would work fine, I use ICD Pro both on a "real" hard drive

and a USB stick via NetUSBEE and they (mostly) work fine on my STE.

What ST/version of TOS are you using.

I'm using TOS 2.06 on a Mega STe and TOS 1.62 on a STe

What happens is the patch starts with the typical options screen that lists the hardware and any cheat options.

Then space bar brings you to a screenshot picture. Space bar again will normally start the patch. However, with HDDriver what you get is HDDriver scans the ACSI ID's again just like at boot and then the system crashes with a few bombs.

2 hours ago, Charlie_ said:

I'm using TOS 2.06 on a Mega STe and TOS 1.62 on a STe

What happens is the patch starts with the typical options screen that lists the hardware and any cheat options.

Then space bar brings you to a screenshot picture. Space bar again will normally start the patch. However, with HDDriver what you get is HDDriver scans the ACSI ID's again just like at boot and then the system crashes with a few bombs.

How much memory does HDDriver report using at boot?

14 minutes ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

Weird, been using it for years on my STE.  Use HDDriver 12 and HDmenu with hard drive adapts.

I have to copy that. Similar situation: Compiled some hard drives with demos, games (also PP ones) and other stuff and never had an issue with my STe, MiST/MiSTer... - but I'm still using HDDriver 11.

Same here: Used HD Driver 7.12 & 7.7 on my 4MB STE with Syquest EZ Flyer 230 drives for years without problems booting. Recently resurrected after  about 15 years and HD Driver helped me to reclaim the drives - get the up & running again to back them up.

1 hour ago, Atari8guy said:

Have you tried getting support here?  The HDDRIVER Forum - Index page

I had quite a long dialogue via emails from the chap who sells HDDriver, he suggested a number of things, but nothing

worked, I'm using an ICD Host Adaptor with a 4.9GB SCSI hard drive, ICD Pro has no problems.

Everything works on my STE, I've even used the Diagnostics Cart and it shows all good. Just a bit of a mystery as to why it wonk work.

If memory serves me right, PP was stressing about how HDDriver was, by default, too memory hungry to be able to run his hd adapted games. So basically, he said to check HDDriver for how to limit the cache size or something like that, and be sure to have no other resident program too.

9 hours ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

Weird, been using it for years on my STE.  Use HDDriver 12 and HDmenu with hard drive adapts.

Yeah... I mean, I don't use that guys games, but I use HDDriver on all my systems, including the BBS's which run 24/7 with as heavy a hard drive usage as any Atari today is likely to get, so that includes stints with a Mega ST, Mega STE, Falcon and TT with TOS 1.04, 2.05, 2.06 3.06 and various EmuTos versions.

I've been playing with HDDriver 12.04 since creating this thread. I have it set to what I believe is minimum memory usage. I remember an older version used to display "HDDriver is set for minimum memory use" at boot. I don't see that in this version. Anyway, it claims to use 58K. This after setting the buffers to 2 each and 0 additional folders. I don't know if that is all it takes for minimum memory usage? Also set it to only scan for devices on 0 ID and that allowed a few of the PP adaptions to run. It is certainly much more compatible now. There are still many of the PP adaptions that will not launch as I described in the first post. They are mainly older ones that launch with START.TOS like Space Quest.

START.TOS games are the older GAMEX ones.  Here is a page for GAMEX usage:  https://atari.8bitchip.info/GamexUsage.html

Btw, people needing a driver to run games should check out Ppera's driver:  https://atari.8bitchip.info/pphdr.php.  Cool feature he just added is ability to have multiple sections (each of which act as seperate card) and choose which one to use at boot.  So can use all of the space on those 32GB cards now :).