IGNORED

A8 raycasting titles

Was MIDI Maze the only A8 title that used raycasting?

I'm looking at the other 8-bit Ataris too, and the only title that comes close is Escape from the MindMaster, but that's more of a false, flat 3D.

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Capture the Flag from 1982 was the 1st I was aware of.

Very cool

I'm on a quest to see how primitive of a system can do raycasting. Looks like it's been done multiple times on A8. The 7800 should be able to handle it as well, but I wonder if it could be done cheaply on the 2600 using only the playfield and some lookup tables.

Posted (edited)

@bent_pinIn terms of ray casting on the a8, or at the very least variations on this type of technique, there are many 3d/psuedo 3d titles and or demos out there. 

Apologies in advance for all the embedded vids. 

So you picked up in Globe's amazing POC 128k 3d ray casting demo earlier.  I really wish this engine to become the basis of a game in itself. It's so fast and also can take advantage of the snack controller setup. Amazing work. 

We have the following, (where, again, some might not be based on raycasting, but maybe you can figure out whether or not they are):

Globe's game final assault fps:

The two WIP Doom engines which Sweity and others are working on:

Gr10 9 colour Adoom:

image.png.78d5413b8a9fa636e20e83819d59676c.png

image.png.20dcb386c8d2ff1868433f2e3478b001.png

GTIA 16 shade Doom with real time lighting and texture, (first showcased as part of the amazing Rewind demo in 2022):

image.png.626d68db3a3a15ca2924ad73dfa7b9d0.png

The maze engine on which Sweity's gtia doom engine above is based, (this engine is amazing):

Shanti's engine :

The wolf engine:

Vector engine:vector engine showing some nods to Duke nukem weapons was brought to my attention last year. Very impressive :

image.png.0678753173b4fb3724933e8a362618c4.png

Nrv's legendary project m:

Also, it's work checking out these two articles :

https://retroage.net/doom-3/

https://retroage.net/doom-po-raz-drugi/

And of course the mein AA thread on Doom:

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/352886-doom-alert/

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Beeblebrox said:

@bent_pinIn terms of ray casting on the a8, or at the very least variations on this type of technique, there are many 3d/psuedo 3d titles and or demos out there. 

Apologies in advance for all the embedded vids. 

So you picked up in Globe's amazing POC 128k 3d ray casting demo earlier.  I really wish this engine to become the basis of a game in itself. It's so fast and also can take advantage of the snack controller setup. Amazing work. 

We have the following, (where, again, some might not be based on raycasting, but maybe you can figure out whether or not they are):

Globe's game final assault fps:

The two WIP Doom engines which Sweity and others are working on:

Gr10 9 colour Adoom:

image.png.78d5413b8a9fa636e20e83819d59676c.png

image.png.20dcb386c8d2ff1868433f2e3478b001.png

GTIA 16 shade Doom with real time lighting and texture, (first showcased as part of the amazing Rewind demo in 2022):

image.png.626d68db3a3a15ca2924ad73dfa7b9d0.png

The maze engine on which Sweity's gtia doom engine above is based, (this engine is amazing):

Shanti's engine :

The wolf engine:

Vector engine:vector engine showing some nods to Duke nukem weapons was brought to my attention last year. Very impressive :

image.png.0678753173b4fb3724933e8a362618c4.png

Nrv's legendary project m:

Also, it's work checking out these two articles :

https://retroage.net/doom-3/

https://retroage.net/doom-po-raz-drugi/

And of course the mein AA thread on Doom:

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/352886-doom-alert/

Wow! That's quite the assortment. It will take me some time to sort out, but I look forward to it.

First on the list is Final Assault, which appears at first glance to use parallax-controlled layers with portals to the layers beyond. Quite a good design, but not what I'm aiming for.

Whereas, the second game on the list, Doom, certainly uses raycasting and textures. An amazing achievement. The only thing that I don't see in it are portals(windows) to other zones, but that's understandable.

I'm going to enjoy digging through the rest.

1 hour ago, Forrest said:

Wayout is a 3D maze game released for the Atari 8-bit computer in 1982 Wiki

That is awesome. It is similar to, but more complex than, the game that I'd like to try to make on the 2600.

Thank you both.

I'm going to try to put together a timeline of raycasting games too, because the major search engines begin its history with Wolfenstein. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, bent_pin said:

Wow! That's quite the assortment. It will take me some time to sort out, but I look forward to it.

First on the list is Final Assault, which appears at first glance to use parallax-controlled layers with portals to the layers beyond. Quite a good design, but not what I'm aiming for.

Whereas, the second game on the list, Doom, certainly uses raycasting and textures. An amazing achievement. The only thing that I don't see in it are portals(windows) to other zones, but that's understandable.

I'm going to enjoy digging through the rest.

That is awesome. It is similar to, but more complex than, the game that I'd like to try to make on the 2600.

Thank you both.

I'm going to try to put together a timeline of raycasting games too, because the major search engines begin its history with Wolfenstein. 

No worries. Check out the article links I've posted also as they go in depth and already cover a timeline.

Either way - geniune raycasting or not - seeing the likes of the astounding Maze engine on which GTIA Doom is based, as well as Globe's 128k engine and NRV's project m, one thing is absoloutely clear - the scope for creating very playable 3D/psuedo 3D FPS and also RPGs, dungeon crawlers and the like, on the Atari 8-bit computer line is there.

Imagine a system shock game, or dungeon crawler using the Maze engine!  All on a 1979 chipset! Amazing :) 

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2024 at 4:08 AM, Stephen said:

Capture the Flag from 1982 was the 1st I was aware of.

It's not raycasting referring to the code and to what Paul wrote me. (And btw Raycasting tech was invented in games later esp by ID software).

Alternate Reality might be some forerunner as it was mentioned by the coder Philip Price himself in the AR thread. Also the Dungeon.

Edited by Heaven/TQA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, Heaven/TQA said:

Numen 3d world is not a raycaster either...it is using portal engine as it is based on Duke Nukem. And the levels can be edited with the Duke Nukem Editor Master.

Thanks for the info. 

Yes, as per my earlier post, I suspected some engines weren't Raycasters. It was just too good nan opportunity to let the OP know of all these impressive engines. 

I can't wait to see Swiety's completed 64k ADoom as well as his 128k GTIA Doom engines when finally completed. :)

• Thanks 1