IGNORED

Atari 825 Printer Font

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, khaibitgfx said:

What font validation program did you use?, Fontlab detected no errors and it is quite good at detecting errors, things that would take forever if you didn't have these capabilities. It even has some limited form of AI...

Fontforge. Element->Validation->Validate. You can also select one or more glyphs and run Element->Validation->Find Problems. Then select the Path tab and select Intersecting Paths. For example glyph '9' has them. You can also click 'Select All' and run all tests on the selected glyph(s).

https://github.com/fontforge/fontforge

BTW I made a typo earlier, I meant to say 828 typo, not type.

Edit: example of intersecting paths:

intersect.png.51cf68fa58c2564da2d49ba0ed1cf0d9.png

Edited by ivop

Posted (edited)

When it comes to something like this you are left with two choices, a tiny space adding too, or a slight overlap taking away, whether the dots actually have a slight space or slightly overlap is hard to tell by the printouts.

Raster fonts, they all suffer with same dilemma, all them square boxes doing the same thing as the dots in this font, mind you Fontlab doesn’t see this as an error nor do any programs that I've seen so far.

Edited by khaibitgfx

29 minutes ago, khaibitgfx said:

When it comes to something like this you are left with two choices, a tiny space adding too, or a slight overlap taking away, whether the dots actually have a slight space or slightly overlap is hard to tell by the printouts.

When you look at raster fonts, they all suffer with same dilemma, all them square boxes doing the same thing as the dots in this font, mind you Fontlab doesn’t see this as an error nor do any programs that I've seen so far.

Intersecting paths are discouraged because it can lead to problems if you try to render outlines. FontLab Studios should detect this. You can fuse the paths to solve that problem if you don't want to move all the dots or change their radius. Looks like FontLab Studios has Remove Overlap to merge overlapping contours. But you can also leave it as is. Most of the time intersecting paths is not a problem.

On 5/26/2024 at 4:34 PM, DjayBee said:

My question was targeted at tschak909, not you, but thought as an answer to your request for scans.

FujiNet emulates several printers with (IIRC) fonts which are based on original printouts of the emulated printers.

https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-firmware/wiki/About-Each-Printer

Well that's certainly an interesting link, seems to be alot of great things on github.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, ivop said:

Intersecting paths are discouraged because it can lead to problems if you try to render outlines. FontLab Studios should detect this. You can fuse the paths to solve that problem if you don't want to move all the dots or change their radius. Looks like FontLab Studios has Remove Overlap to merge overlapping contours. But you can also leave it as is. Most of the time intersecting paths is not a problem.

Fontlab has no problems the way the font currently is, my guess the only way to please that font forge program would be to have some sort of overlap merge.

Edited by khaibitgfx

Posted (edited)

Just when you thought it was safe to visit this thread...

v1.4

This version contains a new name - makes it more in tune to the fact that this font is

more pro like than a std(standard) font, plus it gets rid of that pesky gimp problem,

this version also has more monetary symbols and the Hebrew character set.

There is no chance for Oriental characters - far to complex and this font doesn't have

enough dot density to even bother.

Atari 825 Font Cover.jpg

Atari 825 Pro 16 Cond v14.ttf

Edited by khaibitgfx
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, ivop said:

Fontforge. Element->Validation->Validate. You can also select one or more glyphs and run Element->Validation->Find Problems. Then select the Path tab and select Intersecting Paths. For example glyph '9' has them. You can also click 'Select All' and run all tests on the selected glyph(s).

https://github.com/fontforge/fontforge

BTW I made a typo earlier, I meant to say 828 typo, not type.

Edit: example of intersecting paths:

intersect.png.51cf68fa58c2564da2d49ba0ed1cf0d9.png

Version 1.4 takes care of this problem...

Edited by khaibitgfx

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, khaibitgfx said:

All the adjacent dots are now molded together instead of simply being just a pile of individual dots, visually there is no real difference.

Edited by khaibitgfx

21 hours ago, ivop said:

From what I can tell Fontlab doesn’t remove overlaps by default, and with this new variable font technology things are even more complicated when it comes to overlapping contours.

Posted (edited)

Everything here is based on scans from archive.com, while not the best way to go to say the least, better than a kick in the head.

This font and the others to be made are all fairly simplistic as far as fonts go, a pile of dots.

My biggest what... are the dots on the print head circular or oval, some print outs appear circular to me while others looked oval, I can't image that the print head has oval dots?

Edited by khaibitgfx

• 3 weeks later...