IGNORED

Atari acquires Intellivision brand and large game portofilio

Some big news today ... the longest running console war in history has come to an end ;) Atari has announced the acquisition of the Intellivision brand and a portfolio of Intellivision games.

Expect expanded digital and physical distribution of legacy Intellivision games, potentially new games based on Intellivision IP, brand and licensing collaborations as part of a long-term plan to create value from the Intellivision properties.

And of course, the fans of two classic gaming brands are going to have to learn to get along.

image.thumb.png.69e225fe4d96fd4c484e188c065f8ad0.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 9

10 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

adding to:

https://x.com/atari/status/1793622628692824314

"Atari did not purchase the console project... Intellivision Entertainment LLC will rebrand and continue its business of developing and distributing the Amico brand game console."

I have so many memes ready to go. Just waiting for Mr_Me to tell us more about Marketing.

• Haha 4

Wow, Huge News!

I know this just happened, but are there any plans to develop intellivision controllers and overlays in future (or existing) consoles? 

IMO the biggest issue with playing those great intellivision games is the lack of comparable classic controllers with overlays.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tcmultimedia said:

Wow, Huge News!

I know this just happened, but are there any plans to develop intellivision controllers and overlays in future (or existing) consoles? 

IMO the biggest issue with playing those great intellivision games is the lack of comparable classic controllers with overlays.  

I really don't know ... I wish I could tell you more. It is very early days it will take a while to figure out what comes next, and in what order. 

But I feel your pain, I had the Intellivision growing up .. those controllers and overlays were cool but confounding. 

26 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

adding to:

https://x.com/atari/status/1793622628692824314

"Atari did not purchase the console project... Intellivision Entertainment LLC will rebrand and continue its business of developing and distributing the Amico brand game console."

Rats, then its still unlikely to come out.  Thought, maybe with Atari coming in they would throw some needed resources in that project to actually see that console released.  

Good chance to bring the INTV collection to the VCS! Maybe keep pursuing the Cloudy Mountain game that's an update of the D&D game with licensing removed. Good luck!

I want an open world online multiplayer Shark Shark, game resets every 30 days and you just keep getting bigger every time you eat.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Atari_Warlord said:

I got over the rivalry a long time ago, but this would have been fun for an April 1 announcement.  Maybe there is hope for some of the other players like Vectrex or Odyssey to be acquired and ports of games being made.

I’m all in for a Vectrex Flashback. Such a cool, unique system. 

• Like 2

Just now, Mockduck said:

Good chance to bring the INTV collection to the VCS! Maybe keep pursuing the Cloudy Mountain game that's an update of the D&D game with licensing removed. Good luck!

I want an open world online multiplayer Shark Shark, game resets every 30 days and you just keep getting bigger every time you eat.

Didn’t GBH or whatever already acquire most game rights?  Or was that just licensing?

16 minutes ago, jerseystyle said:

Didn’t GBH or whatever already acquire most game rights?  Or was that just licensing?

I believe that was just for the m-network 2600 games. This appears to be for everything else except the vaper console that shall not be named.

Posted (edited)

Does anyone know what was lost before the sale? I seem to recall folks saying that Intellivision Entertainment was starting to sell off their classic gaming IP piecemeal. I believe Shark! Shark! was one such unfortunate casualty that was sold off Battlezone style.

Will be nice to see the Atarisoft releases hopefully get some attention when/if Atari SA does something Intellivision related. It will only be Centipede of course, but it will still be cool to see (Defender and Pac-Man were the other releases).

How long until Night Stalker: Recharged?

Edited by Atariboy

1 hour ago, tcmultimedia said:

Wow, Huge News!

Intellivision Flashback controllers work great (with a USB adapter), and packs of new overlays are available as well.

• Like 2

Atari's eyes are bigger than its stomach. It needs to slow down on these acquisitions... remember what happened to Embracer when it bought a ton of companies?

I just hope they don't buy up all the other console manufacturers of the early 1980s. Vectrex is almost (but not quite) public domain, and I'd like to keep it that way.

• Like 3

Wow! This will be really interesting to see what Atari does with this. I would have preferred that Atari used these resources to obtain some of their original games who’se licenses were sold decades ago (Gauntlet, Paperboy etc.)

2 hours ago, TrogdarRobusto said:

I really don't know ... I wish I could tell you more. It is very early days it will take a while to figure out what comes next, and in what order. 

But I feel your pain, I had the Intellivision growing up .. those controllers and overlays were cool but confounding. 

I'd love to see a modern version of a keypad controller that could be used to play INTV/5200/Colecovision/Jaguar games..   and now Atari owns 3 out of 4 of those ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Atariboy said:

Does anyone know what was lost before the sale? I seem to recall folks saying that Intellivision Entertainment was starting to sell off their classic gaming IP piecemeal. I believe Shark! Shark! was one such unfortunate casualty that was sold off Battlezone style.

Will be nice to see the Atarisoft releases hopefully get some attention when/if Atari SA does something Intellivision related. It will only be Centipede of course, but it will still be cool to see (Defender and Pac-Man were the other releases).

How long until Night Stalker: Recharged?

Yeah, i was gonna say that. Are there any possibilities of rescuing Astrosmash and Shark Shark or those are already lost causes? Would be nice having them back into the Intellivision umbrella.

It would also be cool seeing BattleZone back under the Atari umbrella someday :D

• Like 3

This is great news to me, I think it games Atari more to work with as far as game libraries.  If you think about it, people who grew up with either or both consoles are getting older and older and the group seems to get smaller and smaller so a company uniting some game IP sounds like a good idea to me.

I would love to see Atari's take on Astrosmash, I bet it would be fun with a cool story arc. 

I had a feeling this would eventually happen. Maybe this means we can start seeing Intellivision games start making their way to the VCS? One can only hope...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, imstarryeyed said:

I would love to see Atari's take on Astrosmash, I bet it would be fun with a cool story arc.

Oh God, no, keep a "story" out of Astrosmash, please.

What makes these games fun is your imagination. The last thing I want is a forced story.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1