IGNORED

Season 15 ~ Week 20 ~ Beat the Leaders 1

Mario Bros: 154200

Here's my first go at this game without the point leeching strategy.  It seems the fireballs have a pattern, where they cycle through a series of eight or so different starting positions.  Once you figure out this pattern, you can predict their next location.  The pattern is reset each board (not sure if it's random or if it's fixed based on level).  On some boards, there are safe platforms where the fireballs never appear.

While I may resort to point leeching later this week if I don't hit the 500k, playing the game "normally" is much more fun.

image.thumb.png.f6406700e35cc4ff33131fa24164262b.png

• Like 6

Played a few times, then went for the exploit since it became clear that would be the only way I roll it. Fun for 10 levels, then tedious, then nerve-racking, then sad. Soooooo close :((((((

Mario Bros. - 473,900

IMG_1637.thumb.jpeg.000cc6e388ef79412ae3cc5bab3ff86f.jpeg

At least even with the exploit, it forces you to play defensively and move up levels. There were just some cheap deaths and some snafus I couldn’t escape.

Also, I’m usually one to insist on using the original joystick, but when I went for the long play, I plugged in the Genesis pad bc it’s close to the NES one, and I’m used to playing this on Nintendo of course. Handled nicely. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, classicgamer_27330 said:

I used to be good at this game, now seem to lose lives at a frightening pace

I found that after you die, be very careful not to nudge the joystick/controller at all b/c then you'll fall off the respawn platform and *very* likely hit an enemy and die again 😠

• Like 2

On 5/27/2024 at 5:00 PM, kermit73 said:

Mario Bros: 154200

Here's my first go at this game without the point leeching strategy.  It seems the fireballs have a pattern, where they cycle through a series of eight or so different starting positions.  Once you figure out this pattern, you can predict their next location.  The pattern is reset each board (not sure if it's random or if it's fixed based on level).  On some boards, there are safe platforms where the fireballs never appear.

While I may resort to point leeching later this week if I don't hit the 500k, playing the game "normally" is much more fun.

As I saw at Atari Compendium regarding the fireballs in Mario Bros.:

"The first 5 fireballs of a level are random; after that, the pattern continues to loop those 5.  The next level will randomly have a new pattern of 5, and so on.  {William Rosa}"

I noted that the info above is applicable for Stage 10 and all subsequent levels, with fireballs moving faster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Mario Bros. - Rollage...phew

image.thumb.png.960f405dc84804ac5be5dc5ae65b808e.png

I decided to vedge out on the couch and emulate this looooooong run exploit. After breaking 500k, I just played, blasting through my lives, haha. I wish there wasn't this issue. I mean, doesn't stop me from going for a real high score, but here we are. I'll take my obligatory 112 points please :)

• Like 1

Mario Bros.: 432400

Still trying for the 500k with minimal leeching.  It's too bad the leeching is possible.  Even if you recognize the fireball patterns, the game still offers a good challenge at level 10+.

For those leeching, the helpful hints in the manual provides a good tip.  Hitting a Slipice from below only scores 500 points.  If you wait until it starts to melt and kick it off the ledge, you get 800 points, plus can you get another 800 points from the coin that appears.

image.thumb.png.bde6a7948cf6cd5d37997f489cd66dc7.png

• Like 3

Unfortunately, there are many games that don’t lend themselves to high score challenges, because point scumming is the easiest way to get a high score. Some that come to mind are…

Cosmic Ark

Time Pilot

Mario Bros

Motorodeo

For some of these games, you could change the challenge to highest level reached.

• Like 3