IGNORED

Drive number error

Maybe I just forgot how to use Atari Dos, but for some reason I can't seem to access D3: in either an emulator or an actual Atari 1200xl - using an sdrive max.

If I mount three diskettes in the sdrive max, and boot up Dos 2.5, I can access D1: and D2: but not D3.  for D3 I just get an error.

Same in an emulator with emulated drives and ATR files attached to the three drives.

23 minutes ago, scm2000 said:

Maybe I just forgot how to use Atari Dos, but for some reason I can't seem to access D3: in either an emulator or an actual Atari 1200xl - using an sdrive max.

If I mount three diskettes in the sdrive max, and boot up Dos 2.5, I can access D1: and D2: but not D3.  for D3 I just get an error.

Same in an emulator with emulated drives and ATR files attached to the three drives.

It is often better to use MyDOS 4.53 with a modern SIO device as Atari DOS 2.5 is fixed at only two physical drives by default to save memory.

As @_The Doctor__ said and beat me to it, DOS 2.5 has a SETUP.COM utility to extend this. Alternatively Atari DOS can be changed by enabling BASIC and issuing POKE 1802,15 which will enable D3: and D4:, then save DOS back to the disk to make it permanent.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TZJB said:

It is often better to use MyDOS 4.53 with a modern SIO device as Atari DOS 2.5 is fixed at only two physical drives by default to save memory.

As @_The Doctor__ said and beat me to it, DOS 2.5 has a SETUP.COM utility to extend this. Alternatively Atari DOS can be changed by enabling BASIC and issuing POKE 1802,15 which will enable D3: and D4:, then save DOS back to the disk to make it permanent.

I'm working with ATRs of old disks though... for instance MAC65 is on a Dos XL disk.. it is full, the toolkit disk is also quite full, so it looks like I need a third disk for my software development.  Dos XL doesn't seem to have setup.com.   and I cant transfer everything over to a dos 2.5 disk (which has setup.com) because from 2.5 MAC65.com doesn't run.

I just made a floppy that has just MAC65 and BUG65 -- where I can develop code and use D2 for the toolkit... 

Back in the 80's I could only afford 2 floppy drives, so never noticed the DOSes of the time couldn't handle more.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, scm2000 said:

I'm working with ATRs of old disks though... for instance MAC65 is on a Dos XL disk.. it is full, the toolkit disk is also quite full, so it looks like I need a third disk for my software development.  Dos XL doesn't seem to have setup.com.   and I cant transfer everything over to a dos 2.5 disk (which has setup.com) because from 2.5 MAC65.com doesn't run.

Perhaps I misunderstood your original post, but you were discussing Atari DOS 2.5, where SETUP.COM is exclusive to that DOS.

OSS DOS XL is not an Atari DOS and is different so you cannot compare the two. OSS DOS XL is Atari DOS 2.0 compatible though and as such seems to only support the single density format capacity of 90KB, so is limiting you to disk images of this size. I say this as someone who has never used it, although I did read the manual.

With Atari DOS 2.5 you are limited to a maximum format capacity of enhanced density with a 130KB disk capacity. SETUP.COM is only on the Atari DOS 2.5 master disk and will not be part of a newly formatted disk.

Most ATRs are of old disks, even MyDOS is old. With an S-Drive Max you have 4 virtual serial bus disk drives, but remember they can be of any size up to 16MB dependant on DOS, so try to think bigger.

MyDOS is Atari format compatible at single sided single, enhanced and double density, so you can create a double density image that holds 180KB and still be Atari DOS compatible. After that you can choose to set parameters for up to 16MB when you create a new S-Drive Max image.

As I previously suggested, try MyDOS 4.53 first with the aim of creating larger capacity floppy disk images, available from @Mathy at https://mathyvannisselroy.nl/mydos.htm. I have not tried it with MAC/65, perhaps others can advise.

ICD/FTE SpartaDOS is another alternative DOS that can be used for disk file management and is very powerful, but is command driven similar to other command line interfaces.

5 hours ago, scm2000 said:

I just made a floppy that has just MAC65 and BUG65 -- where I can develop code and use D2 for the toolkit... 

Back in the 80's I could only afford 2 floppy drives, so never noticed the DOSes of the time couldn't handle more.

What DOS did you use to make your floppy? Is it a real floppy disk or an ATR image? BUG/65 came with OSS DOS XL 2.30 to my knowledge.

For clarity, these days 15 virtual disk drives are sometimes not enough, even using 32MB partitions or ATR images under SpartaDOS X!

Edited by TZJB
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TZJB said:

Perhaps I misunderstood your original post, but you were discussing Atari DOS 2.5, where SETUP.COM is exclusive to that DOS.

OSS DOS XL is not an Atari DOS and is different so you cannot compare the two. OSS DOS XL is Atari DOS 2.0 compatible though and as such seems to only support the single density format capacity of 90KB, so is limiting you to disk images of this size. I say this as someone who has never used it, although I did read the manual.

With Atari DOS 2.5 you are limited to a maximum format capacity of enhanced density with a 130KB disk capacity. SETUP.COM is only on the Atari DOS 2.5 master disk and will not be part of a newly formatted disk.

Most ATRs are of old disks, even MyDOS is old. With an S-Drive Max you have 4 virtual serial bus disk drives, but remember they can be of any size up to 16MB dependant on DOS, so try to think bigger.

MyDOS is Atari format compatible at single sided single, enhanced and double density, so you can create a double density image that holds 180KB and still be Atari DOS compatible. After that you can choose to set parameters for up to 16MB when you create a new S-Drive Max image.

As I previously suggested, try MyDOS 4.53 first with the aim of creating larger capacity floppy disk images, available from @Mathy at https://mathyvannisselroy.nl/mydos.htm. I have not tried it with MAC/65, perhaps others can advise.

ICD/FTE SpartaDOS is another alternative DOS that can be used for disk file management and is very powerful, but is command driven similar to other command line interfaces.

What DOS did you use to make your floppy? Is it a real floppy disk or an ATR image? BUG/65 came with OSS DOS XL 2.30 to my knowledge.

For clarity, these days 15 virtual disk drives are sometimes not enough, even using 32MB partitions or ATR images under SpartaDOS X!

sorry i wasnt clear.  i have both Atari Dos 2.5 and dos xl.  so for sure i was a bit confused.  i read the dos xl manual and see where i can poke to enable 4 drives.  i can give mydos a try too.  thanks

• Like 2