IGNORED

BIG Sexy (aka heavy sixer) made in Taiwan

Keir

Interesting. I haven't seen these before, but I'm not surprised that they appear to exist. When production was moved overseas, a substantial portion of the Sunnyvale parts inventory likely followed. It makes sense, then, that initial overseas production included heavy-sixers.

Have either of you had a look at the inside?

Yeah, when I first bought my heavy sixer off of ebay. The RIOT chip was bad and it read that the fire button was being pressed even without a joystick. So I bought another regular six switch for cheap off of ebay and swapped the motherboards. So I had to open it up and the date that was on the paper piece taped to the top of the RF shielding was 1978. It looks the same as any other 6 switch inside. The shielding is a little bit different. When I tried to just swat the whole motherboard with the "bathtub" RF shielding it wouldn't fit in the heavy sixer. So I just swapped the motherboard. So the RF shielding is most likely a little different, but other than that and the outside case, they are the same.

I have also bought some stuff from this guy on ebay, and he said that he had a four switch that had a 6 switch bottom on it. And it had little plastic plugs in the 3 holes on the bottom that the four switch didn't use. That is probly more odd than a heavy sixer made in taiwan.

I have worked for a factory before and I can understand that when they moved production that they didn't want to throw all of their remaining inventory away.

Yeah, when I first bought my heavy sixer off of ebay. The RIOT chip was bad and it read that the fire button was being pressed even without a joystick. So I bought another regular six switch for cheap off of ebay and swapped the motherboards. So I had to open it up and the date that was on the paper piece taped to the top of the RF shielding was 1978. It looks the same as any other 6 switch inside. The shielding is a little bit different. When I tried to just swat the whole motherboard with the "bathtub" RF shielding it wouldn't fit in the heavy sixer. So I just swapped the motherboard. So the RF shielding is most likely a little different, but other than that and the outside case, they are the same.

I can't remember if there are any motherboard differences between a light-sixer and a heavy-sixer. I haven't had a light-sixer open for sometime, but I seem to recall that there is some difference between the two. I am curious as to whether these two consoles are heavy-sixers inside and out, or whether they are hodge-podge consoles reflecting mismatched inventories.

I have also bought some stuff from this guy on ebay, and he said that he had a four switch that had a 6 switch bottom on it. And it had little plastic plugs in the 3 holes on the bottom that the four switch didn't use. That is probly more odd than a heavy sixer made in taiwan.

These are actually quite common. Again, just a case of Atari using up their existing inventory of six-switch bases in the initial production of 4-switchers.

I have a PAL one made in china, Its a hybrid really. I can confirm that the inside is definately a HEAVY, without doubt. The plastic is from a regular 6.

Everyone seems to think its an NTSC thing only though so i let it rest,,,,,,,

How do i know? Um photos of a heavy opend up, and i own a regular 6.