IGNORED

MyArcade Gamestation Pro - $37.50 at Kohls (In Store + Online)

Posted (edited)

That didn't last long. They're already out of stock, online at least. I may checkout my local Kohls when I get home though.

You can buy reconditioned units for $39.97 on Amazon. Only 20 left though. Well, 19 now.

Edited by bfollowell
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

wow in the UK, they are £119.99+£5 p+p from GAME, the Atari PI makes it been sold for more money, I do not think it should cost more then Atari 2600 Plus because the Atari 2600 Plus is a better console and built better.

Edited by Spanner

8 hours ago, Spanner said:

wow in the UK, they are £119.99+£5 p+p from GAME, the Atari PI makes it been sold for more money, I do not think it should cost more then Atari 2600 Plus because the Atari 2600 Plus is a better console and built better.

That's utterly ridiculous. On checking Amazon UK they're roughly £121, while in the US they're around $65, or £51. I get that there are added import costs and all that, but £121 is price gouging, plain and simple. 

• Like 1

Can I ask you somethin'? Would this be a good system for all your retro gaming needs? I tend to set up my mini systems to play the games from the companies which made them, or the eras of gaming they were created to celebrate. I've got my Super NES Mini filled with Super NES and NES games, my Genesis Mini filled with Sega games from the SG-1000 to the 32X, and my Playstation Classic full of Playstation games. Can the Gamestation be filled up with Atari, ColecoVision, Intellivision, Odyssey2, and Astrocade games, in a way that feels natural and congruent with the system's user interface? None of that "oh, well, you can run these games if you go to some unpolished text menu bolted onto the main interface," because that wrecks havoc with my OCD. I'd like the Gamestation to look like it was designed to play those games, in the same way that Hakchi makes games feel at home on the Sega Genesis Mini, even if they're not Sega Genesis games.

Well, I got my renewed Atari Gamestation Pro today. I haven't had a chance to do much more than open it yet. The weather is supposed to be ugly tomorrow though, so hopefully I'll get a chance to tinker with it then. By appearances, it is all but brand spanking new, so renewed is the right term. It looks exactly like any brand new unit I've seen on any number of unboxing videos. It has everything that is supposed to come with. The only difference I can tell between this unit and a new one is that a new one would've been sealed with tape.

On 5/30/2024 at 6:55 PM, Gabe said:

That's utterly ridiculous. On checking Amazon UK they're roughly £121, while in the US they're around $65, or £51. I get that there are added import costs and all that, but £121 is price gouging, plain and simple. 

Yeah but I believe they are not new, they've been opened already. You can buy second hand ones here in the UK at lower prices too.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, THX-1138 said:

Yeah but I believe they are not new, they've been opened already. You can buy second hand ones here in the UK at lower prices too.

Do you mean the $65 priced one? That's what I paid for mine ($65.89) on Amazon, brand new. That's not to say that some sellers aren't trying to slip in a perviously opened one here and there. The first one I ordered had been opened. I could tell just by how the cables were rolled up and the batteries were loose. I didn't even bother trying it. I sent it back and ordered another one, but from a seller with better ratings. I should have paid better attention to seller ratings the first time.

4 hours ago, Forrest said:

The Atari Gamestation Pro does not ship with a power adapter according to https://atari.com/products/atari-gamestation-pro

Well, I got everything I was supposed to then. Thanks.

It's a really strange decision though. You'd think that they'd want it to be ready to go right out of the package. I mean, they provided the USB-C power cable, just no power brick. While I'm sure there are lots of people with extras lying around the house, I'm sure there are just as many without them.

3 hours ago, bfollowell said:

It's a really strange decision though. You'd think that they'd want it to be ready to go right out of the package. I mean, they provided the USB-C power cable, just no power brick. While I'm sure there are lots of people with extras lying around the house, I'm sure there are just as many without them.

It's becoming more and more common not to include the USB power brick, makes sense really if you think about it.  As is, they can ship one product, the same thing worldwide.  If you add a power brick, you would need to produce a specific product for each country, their various standards and voltages.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, THX-1138 said:

It's becoming more and more common not to include the USB power brick, makes sense really if you think about it.  As is, they can ship one product, the same thing worldwide.  If you add a power brick, you would need to produce a specific product for each country, their various standards and voltages.

Yes and no. Most power bricks for iOS devices are universal and will work darned near any and everywhere. It may make sense from a manufacturing viewpoint, and for saving a buck, but not really for a selling point.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2024 at 4:06 AM, bfollowell said:

They don't expect anybody to actually play these pieces of garbage anyway. They're to put on a shelf in the background of your Youtube video while you read Wikipedia articles to the camera. People that actually wanted to play Atari games would just buy Atari 50 or download Stella.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, famicommander said:

They don't expect anybody to actually play these pieces of garbage anyway. They're to put on a shelf in the background of your Youtube video while you read Wikipedia articles to the camera. People that actually wanted to play Atari games would just buy Atari 50 or download Stella.

Mine's anything but a piece of garbage, and I use it quite often. And Atari 50? Sure, if you've already got another gaming system. Many people my age don't, though retro gaming is attractive, and a system dedicated to retro gaming fits the bill. Granted, the second and third button placements on the controller is terrible. Until I got my 2600+, then FB12G, then this, I hadn't bought a gaming console since an SNES, and that was thirty years ago. 

Edited by Gabe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Mine's anything but a piece of garbage, and I use it quite often. And Atari 50? Sure, if you've already got another gaming system. Many people my age don't, though retro gaming is attractive, and a system dedicated to retro gaming fits the bill. Granted, the second and third button placements on the controller is terrible. Until I got my 2600+, then FB12G, then this, I hadn't bought a gaming console since an SNES, and that was thirty years ago. 

Downloading an actually good emulator on whatever device you used to make this post would be infinitely better for playing Atari games than this MyArcade garbage. The software and hardware quality on these devices is something you'd have to go far out of your way to do worse than. The AtGames Flashback devices were worse, but those are thankfully discontinued.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, famicommander said:

Downloading an actually good emulator on whatever device you used to make this post would be infinitely better for playing Atari games than this MyArcade garbage. The software and hardware quality on these devices is something you'd have to go far out of your way to do worse than. The AtGames Flashback devices were worse, but those are thankfully discontinued.

Why in the world would I want to go through downloading and installing a system, setting it up, installing ROMs, setting up all of the fancy box art, dealing with adapters and programming and all that nonsense to be able to use my preferred controller, and just to play games on my Mac's monitor when I have a nearly plug and play system that runs the games I like just as well as any system you have or could set up, and on my 50" TV? Space Invaders doesn't need a $1500 Mac, nor do any of the other 2600 and 7800 games I play. And no, they don't run "infinitely better", nor even a tiny bit better on a Mac, PC or even Raspberry Pi using Stella. They're not XBox games. They're 8 bit video games from decades ago. They play perfectly on my "piece of garbage". And for any games that it doesn't run well, like SNES games, I have my Raspberry Pi and RetroPie, and even in an SNES style case with an SNES style controller. No $1500 Mac with Stella necessary.

Do you need a ladder to get on your horse?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bent_pin said:

I kind of like it, but I bought it with the intention of installing in my vehicle. For $40 I'm happy with it, especially after the software upgrades.

I paid about $65 for mine through Amazon, but it was still worth it. I actually like the paddle knob on the controller, and the fact that you can adjust paddle sensitivity. Other than the second and third button placements, the only thing I don't care for is that you can't turn off the lights, but at least you can make them solid. That pulsing rainbow thing drives me nuts after a while. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gabe said:

the only thing I don't care for is that you can't turn off the lights, but at least you can make them solid. That pulsing rainbow thing drives me nuts after a while.

I have a spare unit. I might try to see about cutting the lights completely.

• Like 1

Just wanted to come on here and say that I picked up the GSP over the 2600+ back in January, mainly for the ability to add games. I still fully intend to get a 2600+ at some point. Mine was $40 on Amazon. But for what it's given me, I'd have paid more. 

To answer your question @famicommander, this little system has opened up a whole new world for my 5 and 3 year old sons. Naturally, they are big Nintendo fans and love their Switch. I still play modern games, but I began with the 2600 and always thought it would be cool to make sure my kids have an appreciation for the classics. 

Well, the moment I hooked up my GSP, these kids have absolutely had a blast. Their favorite is Centipede, but they've been all over the gamut. 

Every time I add a few new games to the GSP, it's a big event (thanks to the firmware by @Brad_from_the_80s and everyone in that thread) as we explore the box art, title screen, etc. 

It's truly a wonder to see these kids in 2024 going crazy for Pitfall, Space Invaders and even Mr. Run and Jump!

So it was worth every penny and then some, so if you can snag this thing for this price, I'd highly recommend it.

Edited by AT-ATari
  • Like 3