IGNORED

Season 15 ~ Week 21 ~ Beat the Leaders 2

14 hours ago, kermit73 said:

Millipede: Rollage

This is my all-time favorite game.  I've been consistently impressed with how many objects they managed to get on the screen at the same time.  Many of the strategies that work well on Centipede simply will not work on this game, primarily due to multiple spiders, beetles, and playfield scrolling.

It's unfortunate that back in the day a "friend" of a friend sold the cartridge I loaned to him with his Atari at a garage sale (Enduro, Battlezone, and Tutankham were also casualties with this sale), so my time with this game in the 80s was more limited than it would have been otherwise.

A few tips:

• Hanging out toward the top of the region you can move your shooter is usually safer than hanging out at the bottom since the beetles follow a path along the bottom of the screen.  The bottom corners are especially dangerous since spiders seems target this area.
  • I usually try to blow up the DDTs as soon as they appear.  While it's preferable to have a DDT blast wipe out most of a millipede or give you a head start on a swarm, this is often easier said than done.  Rather than save the DDTs, I usually just blow them up when I can since they're worth 800 points even if the blast doesn't kill anything else.
  • Hit the inchworm when possible.  The breather from the game slowing down is always a welcomed relief and lets you refocus.
  • Learn which boards are going to have a swarm after them so you're prepared.  A solid swarm bonus can score enough points to earn two extra lives.
  • On the board with all millipede heads (light blue mushrooms and a yellow millipede), the game will sometimes glitch because there are too many sprites for it to keep track of.  Certain sprites (usually the beetles) will stop moving when this happens.  Don't let this catch you by surprise.
  • After the board with all millipede heads, the level resets with a completely intact millipede.  However, this is also the board where a stupid number of spiders can appear at the same time (I think I've had as many as five show up), so be prepared and try to clear this board quickly.

image.thumb.png.7bc8780d41b05d3f90bc4ee3963cce47.png

Awesome. I never gave these a fair chance way back because of the graphics, but this version plays amazingly. Love it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, fakecortex said:

Centipede more your style? ;)

I prefer it but I love this game too.  I enjoy playing it but I can't seem to do well at it.  My normal centipede-fu doesn't translate well here.  Not sure if it's the teleporting enemies, the shots that go through enemies, lack of a trackball or the perfectly dropped row of mushrooms that create a ladder straight to the bottom but I can't seem to wrap my head around it.  I don't know if I should focus on clearing mushrooms or not.  It's a frantic mess.

I might take some lumps this round :(

• Like 5

Wow, what an absolutely amazing game. It's really not hard to see why @kermit73 lists this as their all time favourite game. This is one though that has it's brilliance creep up on you. It doesn't have that look and feel of perhaps belonging on a more powerful system in the way that Solaris or even Stargate does. Many of the limitations of our favourite retro console are clearly present, from the flicker to some graphics that require the use of the imagination (come on, the main sprite is a square!).

But once you get playing, none of that matters. The fast blasting action hooks you straight in, and the difficulty curve creeps up nicely. The continue option also adds to that dynamic and gives this a "one more go" appeal that keeps you coming back. I'm pleased to have beaten my score from last time we played this, and hope to get more time with this during the week.

Anyway, that's enough from me, here's a score :

Millipede (1984) (Atari)_14.png

• Like 5

I second the praise here for this game, but also the pain points. The continue system is really neat and lends itself to competition, which I’m not sure I’ve seen before in a game. But once you get knocked down a continue level, you know it’s time for a break, haha.

New pb! Happy to break 100k!

Millipede - 111,097

IMG_1675.thumb.jpeg.d04e4f3e4200fb166f9c9e8df581f80c.jpeg

I wish the trackball worked well with this game (or any for that matter). Too bad they just sold a piece of plastic and some wishful thinking. I haven’t checked out any of the compatibility hacks yet tho. At least the joystick control here is pretty tight. 

• Like 4

On 6/3/2024 at 3:13 PM, CentipedeFan said:

I made a diagram for everyone to help them avoid enemy patterns.

Try to stay out of the red paths. These are dead zones.

funny.png

That triangle is totally the sweet spot man

• Like 2
  • Haha 1