IGNORED

Atari 800 Speakers, not built to last?

What was Atari thinking... lets put in a speaker that self destructs?   I'm just saying this because I have speakers much older than this one that are in perfect working condition. Also have working speakers from the 80's.. Oh well.   They build solid electronics though.

image.thumb.jpeg.de0184006736b12bf6ba8f8895537bf6.jpeg

3 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

something moist got to it and it rotted.

I have so many foam suspended speakers from the 90's that fell apart far sooner

ah.. yes.  theres evidence of a liquid spill in the area of the tab key, if im right the speaker is on that side.  but also when i openned the shipping box there was a hint of mold/mildew smell, so it also was kept in a high humidity area like a basement.

• Like 2

On 5/30/2024 at 9:09 PM, scm2000 said:

What was Atari thinking... lets put in a speaker that self destructs?   I'm just saying this because I have speakers much older than this one that are in perfect working condition. Also have working speakers from the 80's.. Oh well.   They build solid electronics though.

What was Atari thinking?...   Cheap!

DavidMil2

Posted (edited)

You're drawing the conclusion that the speakers were cheaply made because the cone is broken in an 800 which arrived smashed to pieces? Conversely, the speakers in every 400 and 800 I've had through my hands have been more or less intact, which seems fairly good going for forty-five year old equipment.

The speaker sits upside down on two little protruding brackets, IIRC, so a heavy impact has probably punched a hole clean through it.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Rybags said:

Can't say I've read of anyone else here having this occur.

In any case, it's not made by Atari anyway.

I had a 400 or 800 with a bad speaker.  To me, it's a non-issue and long fixed by replacing the speaker.  The big issue is the computer is over 40 years old and it still works.   🙂   I have some much more modern computers that didn't last anywhere near that long.  Also, the 400/800 speaker was for the key click.   lol

20 hours ago, reifsnyderb said:

I had a 400 or 800 with a bad speaker.  To me, it's a non-issue and long fixed by replacing the speaker.  The big issue is the computer is over 40 years old and it still works.   🙂   I have some much more modern computers that didn't last anywhere near that long.  Also, the 400/800 speaker was for the key click.   lol

and beeper gtia music/pseudo stereo atmospheric noises and sounds.

On 6/4/2024 at 5:47 AM, Forrest said:

How long do you expect a speaker with a paper cone to last? The speaker probably cost $2 new, and you can buy them today for $2 new on Amazon

Oddly I've seen many many 800s and 400s, and out of all of them, only 1 had a degraded speaker like this. All of the other 40+old ones I've seen in them are fine. So I think it's almost purely down to the environment it is stored. 

I'll bet I've bought a dozen from Best over the years.  Those speakers were never intended to last 40 years.

Especially if they were stored in a garage, an attic, or a basement!  I have used model train speakers from

hobby shops too.

DavidMil2

Well  I more recently took apart a non-working Atari 800 and found it had a perfectly good speaker in it.   So I'll go with the original thought that it got wet at some point and rotted.

On 6/3/2024 at 8:31 AM, flashjazzcat said:

You're drawing the conclusion that the speakers were cheaply made because the cone is broken in an 800 which arrived smashed to pieces? Conversely, the speakers in every 400 and 800 I've had through my hands have been more or less intact, which seems fairly good going for forty-five year old equipment.

The speaker sits upside down on two little protruding brackets, IIRC, so a heavy impact has probably punched a hole clean through it.

There were no speaker cone remnants in the case, or shipping box.. this damage occurred  long ago.  Yes I got another Atari 800 more recently and it's speaker was fine, considering there was evidence of a liquid spill on that side of the case I'll go with it got wet and rotted.

4 minutes ago, scm2000 said:

There were no speaker cone remnants in the case, or shipping box.. this damage occurred  long ago.  Yes I got another Atari 800 more recently and it's speaker was fine, considering there was evidence of a liquid spill on that side of the case I'll go with it got wet and rotted.

I see. I thought he original premise was that the speakers were of low quality and fell apart of their own volition, but if it 'rotted away' after seeing water at some point, I suppose the lesson there would be don't get your speaker cone wet. :)

5 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

I see. I thought he original premise was that the speakers were of low quality and fell apart of their own volition, but if it 'rotted away' after seeing water at some point, I suppose the lesson there would be don't get your speaker cone wet. :)

You weren't wrong though.. I did post originally thinking about the quality of the speaker, but someone answered saying it looked like rot, then I remembered there was evidence of a spill in the bottom case on that side, and put 2 and 2 together.