IGNORED

Updating for mac iOS

9 hours ago, Robert Bindon said:

Hi guys: do you know if upgrading of the 2600+ is possible for mac iOS?

Not at this time - currently you can only update by using a Windows machine.

• Like 2

On 6/2/2024 at 3:31 PM, John Stamos Mullet said:

iOS? You mean from an iPhone or iPad?

I thought that myself. iOS means iPhone.  iPadOS is an iPad.  From a mac is macOS.

No idea what Mac iOS is, unless you work for Apple.  :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

If you still have a slightly older non Apple silicon mac, then you can install windows 10, Or windows 11, with a little bit more effort and a hack, as a boot camp install. It does require you to partition your hard drive, Which mac will help you do, And dedicate permanent space to the windows installation. Also, if you have a fusion drive, then, apple will happily disable the flash part of it for you so that windows can barely run. I'm pretty sure they do that on purpose. To make it as uncomfortable as possible for you to run windows on your legacy Mac.

I have found that it will actually load into memory eventually. And then it'll be usable, so there is that, and that's how I update my plus without having to have a windows computer and still using an iMac. It's also one of thr reasons why I won't upgrade my imac.

One cool thing about having a boot camp Install is that you can install parallels for Mac and then parallels can access it and run it as an emulated virtual machine inside of the macOS software instead of running it as a native boot camp Install, and that is one way you can get around the fusion drive performance issue.

However, none of this is for the particularly faint of heart. So if you're already worried about executing the firmware update, then having to do all this on top of it is kind of a lot of work, but I have done it. And I can attest that it does work.

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Maztr_0n said:

:(

Don’t listen to him.

There are plans on the Atari side to make a version of the updater for Mac OS, but it will likely come after the next official update at the earliest. Right now the experimental updates aren’t “official” updates. There are still a number of items to add/fix in the current firmware. 

unfortunately this site is full of negative Nellies who would prefer to complain and dump on this system rather than support it.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Don’t listen to him.

There are plans on the Atari side to make a version of the updater for Mac OS, but it will likely come after the next official update at the earliest. Right now the experimental updates aren’t “official” updates. There are still a number of items to add/fix in the current firmware. 

unfortunately this site is full of negative Nellies who would prefer to complain and dump on this system rather than support it.

Anyone who isn't a shill for Atari is a negative nelly to you people.

Bottom line is the support for ALL of their hardware devices in recent memory has been trash. Just ask anyone who has bought a VCS. Just ask anyone going through a 55 step process to update their 2600+ with experimental firmware and dumper support. Just ask anyone in the 400Mini forum.

Whatever the right thing to do is with regard to support, count on Atari to do the opposite. Just go order a VCS from their website and try to tell me any differently.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, famicommander said:

Just ask anyone going through a 55 step process to update their 2600+ with experimental firmware and dumper support.

If you have to make shit up to make your point, your point ain't worth shit.

The instructions to program the clock on your parents VCR in 1987 were more complicated than the updating process for the 2600+.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

If you have to make shit up to make your point, your point ain't worth shit.

The instructions to program the clock on your parents VCR in 1987 were more complicated than the updating process for the 2600+.

Not if you have a Mac or a Linux computer. And the updates are all still marked beta or experimental. It came out in 2023. Maybe by 2025 it will do a decent job of playing games released 40 years ago.

Should've worked better than it does with all the updates today on day one of release. It's ridiculous that people expect everyone to be okay with Atari releasing stuff and then, maybe, eventually, possibly pushing out some updates that make the device almost as capable as it should've been when they released it. But only if you dig through a forum for a series of experimental updates and only if you have a Windows PC on hand to update it with, several months after you bought it.

Edited by famicommander
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, famicommander said:

Not if you have a Mac or a Linux computer. And the updates are all still marked beta or experimental. It came out in 2023. Maybe by 2025 it will do a decent job of playing games released 40 years ago.

Should've worked better than it does with all the updates today on day one of release. It's ridiculous that people expect everyone to be okay with Atari releasing stuff and then, maybe, eventually, possibly pushing out some updates that make the device almost as capable as it should've been when they released it. But only if you dig through a forum for a series of experimental updates and only if you have a Windows PC on hand to update it with, several months after you bought it.

You weren’t forced to buy it.

You also weren’t forced to buy a Mac. 

and finally you weren’t forced to not have a Windows PC.

you made a series of choices that made this process more difficult. That’s on you.

and your entire paying history here is whining, complaints, and trolling. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

You weren’t forced to buy it.

You also weren’t forced to buy a Mac. 

and finally you weren’t forced to not have a Windows PC.

you made a series of choices that made this process more difficult. That’s on you.

and your entire paying history here is whining, complaints, and trolling. 

I'm sorry you can't handle people who remember things Atari does and then relate those things to other users so that they know what to expect in the future, but that's life. 

People would probably have a lot more confidence in Atari's ability or willingness to support their products and end users if they weren't, you know, still actively shipping out VCS consoles that aren't even functional without a firmware update you need to search the forums or Discord channels just to locate.

You started your time this topic by telling a user not to listen to me when I said not to count on Mac/Linux support, then you ended it by yelling at me for not having a Windows PC. Because you don't actually have a position on the topic at hand, you just want to make sure nobody points out Atari's failings. When, in reality, my advice was probably a lot more useful to that end user if they want their crappy device to function better. If they wait for Atari to support Linux or Mac they're going to be waiting a long time, if not forever. Better that they not count on it, like I said, and try to find a friend or relative to let them use a Windows PC to update it so that it almost works like they probably thought it was going to when they bought it.

Edited by famicommander
  • Haha 1

My god, always something!  I tell you guys what, I will see if I can get in contact with the guys in charge of the tool and if need be, I'll port it to Mac.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, famicommander said:

I'm sorry you can't handle people who remember things Atari does and then relate those things to other users so that they know what to expect in the future, but that's life. 

People would probably have a lot more confidence in Atari's ability or willingness to support their products and end users if they weren't, you know, still actively shipping out VCS consoles that aren't even functional without a firmware update you need to search the forums or Discord channels just to locate.

You started your time this topic by telling a user not to listen to me when I said not to count on Mac/Linux support, then you ended it by yelling at me for not having a Windows PC. Because you don't actually have a position on the topic at hand, you just want to make sure nobody points out Atari's failings. When, in reality, my advice was probably a lot more useful to that end user if they want their crappy device to function better. If they wait for Atari to support Linux or Mac they're going to be waiting a long time, if not forever. Better that they not count on it, like I said, and try to find a friend or relative to let them use a Windows PC to update it so that it almost works like they probably thought it was going to when they bought it.

Nobody here is yelling, about anything.

I merely pointed out that you made a series of choices that made it difficult to update this Atari console. That's still on you. Again, nobody forced you to do anything, either way. You are choosing to stick with you Mac, and that's fine. But you know that limits your options for a lot of software, not just this Atari updater.

You can complain all you like, you're entitled to that. But that doesn't mean people won't disagree with you, or make jokes about it. This is supposed to be a web forum, not an Atari Yelp! page.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i'm just here on the sidelines, waiting as patiently as i can, although the summertime leaves me homebound so i do feel a little stir crazy rn... ah well i'm no extrovert...

And if Atari was to do like a ultimate FPGA thing thats 99% compatible with everything at launch, i think that should be for like, XEGS or Jaguar. Test the waters, the kids are alright with 2600/7800 anyways, even if 7800 game prices make me wanna gouge my eyes out sometimes.

On 6/30/2024 at 5:04 PM, John Stamos Mullet said:

Don’t listen to him.

Same on most sites these days, misery loves company.
I wish the official firmware update would hurry up and that there was a Linux updater tool, but I'm not gonna lose sleep over it.  I'm enjoying my 2600+ and my other Atari products.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, THX-1138 said:

Same on most sites these days, misery loves company.
I wish the official firmware update would hurry up and that there was a Linux updater tool, but I'm not gonna lose sleep over it.  I'm enjoying my 2600+ and my other Atari products.

i mean plus, i dont even have that many games anyways, all of the ones i have are compatible so...

Take your time, i probably wont even ATTEMPT homebrew for like a few years anyways...

4 minutes ago, Maztr_0n said:

i mean plus, i dont even have that many games anyways, all of the ones i have are compatible so...

Take your time, i probably wont even ATTEMPT homebrew for like a few years anyways...

Same, I bought a selection of carts that I remember having when I was a kid and I've been buying the re-releases.  They work fine for me.  If they tell me that certain homebrews will work, I'll look into them, I'm in no hurry.

I use Linux and I was able to update - I use VirtualBox with Windows 11 running inside it.

To that dude's other points, the VCS - I have a few, mostly running the aforementioned Linux and I upgraded them, very happy with mine.  Also have the 400 mini and I adore that little gadget too.

2 minutes ago, THX-1138 said:

Same, I bought a selection of carts that I remember having when I was a kid and I've been buying the re-releases.  They work fine for me.  If they tell me that certain homebrews will work, I'll look into them, I'm in no hurry.

I use Linux and I was able to update - I use VirtualBox with Windows 11 running inside it.

To that dude's other points, the VCS - I have a few, mostly running the aforementioned Linux and I upgraded them, very happy with mine.  Also have the 400 mini and I adore that little gadget too.

I'll just wait for the update to come to Linux Mint, which i think should be considered for making update applications for the application manager on that version.

Also i just cant afford 300$ for Ikari 7800, and repros aren't open yet afaik... so...

1 minute ago, Maztr_0n said:

I'll just wait for the update to come to Linux Mint, which i think should be considered for making update applications for the application manager on that version.

I use Linux Mint (XFCE), nice distro.

Just now, THX-1138 said:

I use Linux Mint (XFCE), nice distro.

ye it works for me, i got it incase i ever learned to program as it makes things easier on linux, but i dont see myself programming for awhile, i did try to update via a VM but after a bunch of trouble i figure, i should just wait for it to finally be public on Linux (Mint).