IGNORED

IGN ranks the Atari 7800 over the Sega Master System! Do you agree?

Pac-Lander

Which is the superior 8-bit system?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the superior 8-bit system?

• Atari 7800 ProSystem
    • Sega Master System

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

14 hours ago, Gentlegamer said:

I was going to post that I don't think even die hard 7800 fanboys would put it over SMS... I see the die hard fanboys have already posted as much!

Well there is that 34% in the poll who voted 7800

It would be hard to make a case for that judging by what was available bitd, but a bit easier if you look at what has been done with modern homebrews. However, backwards compatibility with the 2600's library and accessories is a big plus side. That being said, it is still a surprising ranking. 

Disagree.  SMS is certainly the better console overall and IGN has no fucking clue what they are writing about.  I don't want to click the link - can anyone say what they have as their top 10?

17 hours ago, pboland said:

I only knew one kid that had a 7800 back then (and he wanted a NES).

With that said, I think the idea of the 7800 was great! It's basically a 2600 with extra power.

If that kid who wanted a nes but did got a atari 7800 instead? Then his parents may could,ve keep that kid satisfied with his 7800 system by giving him nintendo games for the 7800 and 2600 for it sothat he could play those games on it,  just to make him happy, especially if he was a mario fan, then 🤣🤣

by they way am surprised that the atari 7800 did sold poorly compared to even the mastersystem since everybody was actually positive about it in 1984 because of it’s backwards compatibility with 2600 games and the fact that all issues from the atari 5200 were fixed on the 7800, but i guess that it’s prerelease in 1986 and limited library of games just killed that system🙁

23 minutes ago, johannesmutlu said:

If that kid who wanted a nes but did got a atari 7800 instead? Then his parents may could,ve keep that kid satisfied with his 7800 system by giving him nintendo games for the 7800 and 2600 for it sothat he could play those games on it,  just to make him happy, especially if he was a mario fan, then 🤣🤣

by they way am surprised that the atari 7800 did sold poorly compared to even the mastersystem since everybody was actually positive about it in 1984 because of it’s backwards compatibility with 2600 games and the fact that all issues from the atari 5200 were fixed on the 7800, but i guess that it’s prerelease in 1986 and limited library of games just killed that system🙁

The problem at the time was Atari=outdated games.  I distinctly remember this thought from the time.  I grew up with a 2600, but bought a NES and then a SMS with my paper route money, because the games were so different from what was on Atari.  Don't get me wrong, I still liked the old games (and still do!), but the new games available on NES and SMS were like exploring a fantasy world.

The 7800 library available (for as long as I paid attention back then) were just the "same old" thing.

I admin that is not an entirely fair opinion, but it's what was in my head at the time.

Today, the 7800 is my favorite console for classic gaming.  I only play NES and SMS games in emulation.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, phoenixdownita said:

You are wrong on the Internet again ???

Keep up man, it’s not about what you like, it’s about my truth 😁

Time is an illusion

You can't be wrong on the internet

And the Earth isn't flat...

I know this because I encountered hills as I rode my bike once...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, glazball said:

can anyone say what they have as their top 10?

They claim that the parameters determining their rankings were

Top 25 Videogame Consoles of All Time, where we have selected and ranked the most influential systems in the history of gaming …getting IGN's editorial staff to agree on one comprehensive list …

Each console on the list ahead was selected for its influence on the industry and the gaming culture as a whole, with special consideration for their benchmark titles, peripherals, monetary success, and total hardware sold. … our lasting impressions of each console

They ranked the systems as follows:

Spoiler
  1. NES
  2. 2600
  3. PS2
  4. SNES
  5. Genesis
  6. Xbox360
  7. PSX
  8. Dreamcast
  9. N64
  10. Wii
  11. Xbox
  12. Colecovision
  13. Turbographics-16
  14. Intellivision
  15. PS3
  16. Gamecube
  17. 7800
  18. Saturn
  19. NeoGeo
  20. Master System 
  21. Odyssey 2
  22. 3DO
  23. 5200
  24. Jaguar
  25. Odyssey 

It seems they put in highest regard, how much of an impact the console had on the industry. Not a horrible metric, and it does make sense to put NES, 2600, and PS2 at the top, using those metrics. The 2600 was the video game home console market in 1980-1982, after making Space Invaders the pack’in. The NES revived the home console market after the NA crash, and dominated from about 1987-1990, using strong-arm tactics with retailers and publishers. The PS2 was one of the cheapest options for a DVD player for movie rentals, and had great games too boot. Xbox360 had one of the best Live/Online playing services, PSX was the first syatem to sell over a 100 million consoles.

There list isn’t too far from normal, and using their criteria I would probably rank it similarly for the Top10.

Edited by CapitanClassic

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, CapitanClassic said:

They claim that the parameters determining their rankings were

They ranked the systems as follows:

Hide contents
  1. NES
  2. 2600
  3. PS2
  4. SNES
  5. Genesis
  6. Xbox360
  7. PSX
  8. Dreamcast
  9. N64
  10. Wii
  11. Xbox
  12. Colecovision
  13. Turbographics-16
  14. Intellivision
  15. PS3
  16. Gamecube
  17. 7800
  18. Saturn
  19. NeoGeo
  20. Master System 

It seems they put in highest regard, how much of an impact the console had on the industry. Not a horrible metric, and it does make sense to put NES, 2600, and PS2 at the top, using those metrics. The 2600 was the video game home console market in 1980-1982, after making Space Invaders the pack’in. The NES revived the home console market after the NA crash, and dominated from about 1987-1990, using strong-arm tactics with retailers and publishers. The PS2 was one of the cheapest options for a DVD player for movie rentals, and had great games too boot. Xbox360 had one of the best Live/Online playing services, PSX was the first syatem to sell over a million consoles.

There list isn’t too far from normal, and using their criteria I would probably rank it similarly for the Top10.

Sorry to be pedantic but PS2 is still the highest selling console of all times, not just because of DVD. XB360 had THE best online support not just one of, PSX was the first to sell 100 millions not just one million.

Public Service Announcement: stop being wrong on the Internet, Wikipedia is your friend … I think 😜

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, MattelAquarius said:

The problem at the time was Atari=outdated games.  I distinctly remember this thought from the time.  I grew up with a 2600, but bought a NES and then a SMS with my paper route money, because the games were so different from what was on Atari.  Don't get me wrong, I still liked the old games (and still do!), but the new games available on NES and SMS were like exploring a fantasy world.

The 7800 library available (for as long as I paid attention back then) were just the "same old" thing.

I admin that is not an entirely fair opinion, but it's what was in my head at the time.

I don't think it's unfair.  Even when they announced the 7800 in 1984,  a big chunk of the announced launch titles already seemed dated.   It was during the crash, there few new arcade games getting home ports on any console.  And there was a lot of innovation on the computer gaming side that made games like Joust, Dig-Dug, Asteroids really feel old-hat..  even if they were the prettiest versions of those games we'd ever seem on a home console.

But then it came out two years later with the same games and it felt REALLY dated.

• Like 1

Technically, ranking the 7800 above the SMS is correct (when done now), the software/hardware support from the community is by far superior and lead to more games now and in the future.  

Or can someone come up with a list of quality products with professional packaging, for software and hardware, for the SMS that wasn't officially released?  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

Technically, ranking the 7800 above the SMS is correct (when done now), the software/hardware support from the community is by far superior and lead to more games now and in the future.  

Or can someone come up with a list of quality products with professional packaging, for software and hardware, for the SMS that wasn't officially released?  

The linked video dates Sep 1 2009 … was there lots af professionally packaged releases back then?

Also the CV homebrew production gives the 7800 a run for its money no?

Edited by phoenixdownita

Just now, phoenixdownita said:

The linked video dates Sep 1 2009 … was there lots af professionally packaged release back then?

Also the CV homebrew production gives the 7800 a run for its money no?

But CV has nothing to do with the title of the thread and yes, it was already in progress, I think the first 1000 PCB's I ordered for the 7800 was earlier than that, but I can check (or Trebor can - he has a "special" item from me).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

But CV has nothing to do with the title of the thread and yes, it was already in progress, I think the first 1000 PCB's I ordered for the 7800 was earlier than that, but I can check (or Trebor can - he has a "special" item from me).

The title is not about which one has the biggest professionally packaged community releases either.

Smspower.com in terms of community is great imho, but the Atari ones (2600, 7800 and Jag here on AA but not only) seem to lean towards higher production value items, yes that is my impression too.

PS: given the crappy cover arts, manuals and packaging of the official western SMS releases trying to replicate that style to fit in seems silly.

But there are many MSX ports there of fantastic Konami games among others .. 

Edited by phoenixdownita

23 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

There is a fair bit of stuff released for the SMS. While the 7800 is awesome, The SMS is the overall better machine and has a much better library of games.

5 hours ago, MattelAquarius said:

Today, the 7800 is my favorite console for classic gaming.  I only play NES and SMS games in emulation.

You are right about that, what the atari 7800 needed was games such as pac land,jungle hunt,circus charlie,lupin 3 etc,, just to name a few side scrolling platformers, but all it got very late in it’s lifespan was scrapyard  dog wich was a not so great platformer wich seemed nothing more then just a desperate attempt from atari to come up with supermariobros rip off platformer🥲

in short atari seemed to be really lazy when coming with hardware pushing games for their 7800, maybe if those game developers weren’t bought out by nintendo, then the 7800 might could,ve stand a better chance against both sega and nintendo, maybe just maybe.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shawn said:

There is a fair bit of stuff released for the SMS. While the 7800 is awesome, The SMS is the overall better machine and has a much better library of games.

Ok Wonderboy, you win and now everyone can stop arguing about it. LOL

And yeah, the hardware is another story.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CPUWIZ said:

Ok Wonderboy, you win and now everyone can stop arguing about it. LOL

And yeah, the hardware is another story.

36 minutes ago, Shawn said:

😘

Wonderboy was quite the series on SMS with 4 entries plus the older one for sg1000

Check

575807064.png?1524005779

Or

hqdefault.jpg

Was that intentional?

The sg1000 version is a little rough though (and given the sms palette is not the same as tms9928 it looks worse than this link if you play it on SMS)

SG1000_01.gif

Edited by phoenixdownita

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

SMS Power's annual competition is probably the main event for Master System homebrew, been going since 2002 producing 144 entries so far with this year being the most in one year (18). An additional hacks category was added in 2016 with 53 entries so far. https://www.smspower.org/Competitions/Index

2024 entries:

As far as releases with professional packaging, 2Minds is a good source: Store (2minds.fr)
CoteGamers has a few as well: Master System (cotegamers.com)
Those are publishers but from time to time the homebrewers themselves will offer very limited quantities of fully packaged physical releases as well.

Hardware-wise, there have been several projects I've noticed over the past decade, including an FM sound expansion that works with the Master System's expansion port, adapters for Japanese Mark III games, and I believe an adapter for ColecoVision cartridges is currently in the works.

Edited by Zoyous
  • Thanks 1