IGNORED

New Atari SuperSprint Arcade reveal

PowerDubs

Posted (edited)

That was a game that never got ported to any other 16bit system other than Atari’s own Atari ST (like Sega did for its 3d arcades on Saturn)

I had an Amiga at that time, but one of my best friends had an Atari ST and this one game I envied to no end.

I had to wait until Midway Arcade Treasures released on XBox to play it until I could get it out of my system … and I still suck at it to this day.

PS: needless to say my MiSTer AtariST core gets to workout on that one

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, PowerDubs said:

I'm a little confused after watching it...  the Atari name and logo are clearly there... but given the other games- is this official?

Or are we going to see another C&D debacle?

Oh crap:

”PC included with over sixty 3 player, 2 player and single player games fully configured”

https://www.buystuffarcades.com/products/360-wheel-full-size-multicade-preorder

It does not sound “licensed” to me.

(the word “license” appears nowhere on that page)

@TrogdarRobusto is that an official or officially endorsed product?

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

@PowerDubsthe logo only appears once then it’s nowhere else on the video, the product page has no logo anywhere for the cabinet (also the cabinet graphics looks the part, main name included which I believe may also require licensing or permission).

When they play SuperSprint they never show the initial screen with copyrights (potentially removed or obfuscated).

Aside the steering controls (which they sell separately it appears) it looks like a “pandora box” specialized for steering wheel games. 
It seems they show VirtuaRacing among the rest … I don’t think “teh romz” part is legit (not sure they have a commercial license for the emulators either) but I would love to be proven wrong.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Oh...it's there more than once.

23 second mark on the front of the cab

Numerous times when they show the control panel by the buttons

4:05 on the side of the cab

4:46 on the steering wheel horn button

SS-dash_740x.png?v=1717601438

Edited by PowerDubs
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, PowerDubs said:

Oh...it's there more than once.

23 second mark on the front of the cab

Numerous times when they show the control panel by the buttons

4:05 on the side of the cab

4:46 on the steering wheel horn button

But it comes and goes no?

Like when you mix footage from a real unit (they probably have a real SuperSprint cabinet available) and then an unmarked repro.

Edited by phoenixdownita

Posted (edited)

Most definitely in the video when they present all the variants at the end, lots of them have the Atari logo plastered around.

Yeah the rotating banner:

SuperSprintBannerWeb_1512x.jpg?v=1717606Even the last one on the right has the logo embossed in the center of the steering wheel.

Maybe there was the intent of a deal that didn’t make it?

The big cabinet to the left is the cleaner one aside the  area that your eagle eyes noticed.

The above is a direct link but here is the embedded image as of now:

IMG_0037.thumb.jpeg.52d740611bceca336a96088cf247e4f7.jpeg

Edited by phoenixdownita

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Lord Mushroom said:

If it is designed for commercial use, I think it will do well in retro arcades.

2 hours ago, PowerDubs said:

I'm a little confused after watching it...  the Atari name and logo are clearly there... but given the other games- is this official?

Or are we going to see another C&D debacle?

I'm going to say that no they didn't. Whenever anyone like Arcade 1up does these things, they tout the license. I notice they make no mention of licensing. Having both Sega and Atari games on one platform would be extraordinarily expensive; not to mention you're supposed to get a separate license for both residential and commercial use.

That said, they are technically violating Warner Bros, not Atari SA. But perhaps Atari SA could take issue with the logos, regardless. I wouldn'[t want to poke any of the bears here (WB, Atari, Sega)

There's also their name - "BuyStuffArcades" that's about as shady fly-by-night as you can get.

While I know there would be a few ops out there who would go for this (the same ones that put A1ups in their commercial arcade), no respectable location would ever bother. 

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian
  • Like 6

22 minutes ago, GraffitiTavern said:

I hope instead of C&D them that Atari considers striking a deal with them to produce some NeoSprint arcade cabinets, racing games still do quite well in arcades and they usually cost way more than $4k

I'd love to see NeoSprint running on this!

• Like 2

Just now, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Maybe Alan-1 who is doing the Asteroids Recharged can work with them on that...it'd be cool to see an official NeoSprint cab, maybe even do Sprint 8 style for 8-players

Networking cabinets for multiplayer games would be damn cool.  :)

..Al

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

While I know there would be a few ops out there who would go for this (the same ones that put A1ups in their commercial arcade), no respectable location would ever bother. 

Do you have an idea how much a standup racing game goes for? This format reminds me of Hot Wheels arcade and that seems to go for near $20,000

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, GraffitiTavern said:

I hope instead of C&D them that Atari considers striking a deal with them to produce some NeoSprint arcade cabinets, racing games still do quite well in arcades and they usually cost way more than $4k

How could they? I mean VirtuaRacing is shown, and Turbo both Sega.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, GraffitiTavern said:

Do you have an idea how much a standup racing game goes for? This format reminds me of Hot Wheels arcade and that seems to go for near $20,000

That's the other red flag here in terms of licensing - a typical sit-down racer is selling in the range of $12-$25k a piece right now (Sega's Drone Racing Genesis is $12k; Raw Thrills' FnF Arcade DX are $25k - the small FnF models are $13k). All those have licenses but just for one IP, not a dozen or whatever. I can't recall what Hot Wheels is going for at the moment (there are two models, the 4p and 6p), but I think you're right that the 6p is $20k. 4p wouldn't be much less. That's the only upright I can think of at the moment. Pre-inflation era, an upright like this might have gone for $6~7k.

A machine like this selling at $3500 is practically unheard of since the 80s/90s, at least on the commercial market. No seasoned op would take the risk on a company like this, unless they were broke and desperate. 

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

That's the other red flag here in terms of licensing - a typical sit-down racer is selling in the range of $12-$25k a piece right now (Sega's Drone Racing Genesis is $12k; Raw Thrills' FnF Arcade DX are $25k - the small FnF models are $13k). All those have licenses but just for one IP, not a dozen or whatever. I can't recall what Hot Wheels is going for at the moment (there are two models, the 4p and 6p), but I think you're right that the 6p is $20k. 4p wouldn't be much less. That's the only upright I can think of at the moment. Pre-inflation era, an upright like this might have gone for $6~7k.

A machine like this selling at $3500 is practically unheard of since the 80s/90s, at least on the commercial market. No seasoned op would take the risk on a company like this, unless they were broke and desperate. 

The claim is for 60, as in 5 dozens, preconfigured games, that makes each on avg ~58us$.

Edited by phoenixdownita