IGNORED

Program firmware on my old SIO2SD from 2010 (SHIFT+K2/K3 doesn't work)

Posted (edited)

Hey guys,

Can anyone help me setup my Arduino UNO to directly program the ATMega32-P chip on the SIO2SD? It does work, but flakey, so I wanted to upgrade the firmware. Have tried everything to place the SIO2SD.BIN, in the root of the 2GB SD card (yes, ATARI folder is there)... Pressed all combos of SHIFT+K2/K3, etc. Nothing works.

If anyone can help, that'd be great!

Edited by Daze

Posted (edited)

What's the actual firmware version? Looks like that since fw v2.0 one has to enter the setup mode first, if I understand that correctly: http://sio2sd.org/usage/index.html

But thanks for waking me up, mine is still at fw "dunno" for years and I have to run an update too :)

EDIT: Got mine successfully updated to fw v3.3! Dunno what the previous version was, but I did the following: Powered up the Atari and SIO2SD, pressed SHIFT on SIO2SD twice to enter SETUP MODE, then SHIFT+K3 and confirmed the question to upload /SIO2SD.BIN from the SD card.

Edited by larryleffaovell
Upgrade procedure of SIO2SD
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, larryleffaovell said:

What's the actual firmware version? Looks like that since fw v2.0 one has to enter the setup mode first, if I understand that correctly: http://sio2sd.org/usage/index.html

But thanks for waking me up, mine is still at fw "dunno" for years and I have to run an update too :)

EDIT: Got mine successfully updated to fw v3.3! Dunno what the previous version was, but I did the following: Powered up the Atari and SIO2SD, pressed SHIFT on SIO2SD twice to enter SETUP MODE, then SHIFT+K3 and confirmed the question to upload /SIO2SD.BIN from the SD card.

The paper manual is in Polish and says v1.2 (see pics). I believe it says SHIFT+K3. But it doesn't work. 

The SIO2SD setup firmware is from 07. If I hold K4 on bootup, I can go into the setup menu on the LCD which says: "2.4_07"; So anyway, I tried a few things but the darn thing won't upgrade? I pressed all sorts of key combos on bootup, while booted, and everything I could mutate on, but to no avail.

I tried double SHIFT, and SHFT+K2/3 in setup (where you select the ATRs)... Nothing happens.

Pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/wkwYiJg - setup (pressing K4 on bootup)

https://imgur.com/08oTLLb - config tool (pressing SHIFT on bootup)

Confused as heck.

3 minutes ago, larryleffaovell said:

You have to insert a SD card containing the fw file named SIO2SD.BIN at the root of the card and there must be the folder ATARI. Your pictures are showing that there is "No card" inserted (or not recognized).

Ignore that second image, that was meant to show the 07 in the top right corner. I did do the SIO2SD.BIN and ATARI folder, ofcourse, with a 2GB SD. Loads ATR files, just doesn't do the FW update. I've tried every key combo I can think of... And every firmware, nothing...

Only other thing I can think of is to flash the ATMega32 with the full firmware with a programmer/Arduino Uno. Having trouble with that currently.

40 minutes ago, larryleffaovell said:

I'm wondering what the "version 2.4_07" is coming from as there never was a firmware nor a software of that version, according to their website.

There is a post on this site with someone talking about the same version and how to upgrade.

I've toasted my chip on the board while trying to flash with my Arduino. Ordered a USBASP from Amazon, and see if I upload the bin to SIO2SD board via the 6 pin header ICP.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daze said:

Only other thing I can think of is to flash the ATMega32 with the full firmware with a programmer/Arduino Uno. Having trouble with that currently.

Avrdude should allow you to update the UNO firmware and install the latest software

2 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

Avrdude should allow you to update the UNO firmware and install the latest software

That's what I was trying to do. I hooked up the cables from pin 10, 11, 12, 13 to the ICSP on the SIO2SD board, and being very careful, I read the schematic on sio2sd.org for the v1 of the board (which is what I have), the chip now just displays blocks on the first row and second row being empty... Maybe I corrupted the firmware on it. Anyone know the pin out exactly of the ICSP on the SIO board? I thought I read it correctly... 

52 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

The Arduino IDE suggests you can upgrade the firmware directly from it, I've never tried, but worth a look.

image.thumb.png.ec3495ffcce4ccfcd912cb3bde56c2a8.png

I am enjoying the amount of effort everyone here puts in to helping each other. Thank for taking a look at that.

Last night I clicked on the Firmware Updater too, and it gave me the same thing, no boards. I should be getting a USBasp tomorrow, so let's see. Right now, it's not about saving money about learning stuff. :) If I have to I can buy an ATMega32-P as well. Should order it, actually.

On 6/6/2024 at 10:59 AM, Daze said:

There is a post on this site with someone talking about the same version and how to upgrade.

I've toasted my chip on the board while trying to flash with my Arduino. Ordered a USBASP from Amazon, and see if I upload the bin to SIO2SD board via the 6 pin header ICP.

Just curious on how you connected the 40 pin Atmega32 to the 28 pin Atmega328 socket of the Arduino Uno?

You most certainly have a version 2 SIO2SD as the 74HC245 chip is present. SIO2SD version 1 does not have this chip.

I suspect that the documentation that was with your device was not updated to reflect the newer device as operation is similar.

SIO2SD2.4-07.thumb.jpeg.412a64b5bc11eab8340696de25321e71.jpeg

sio2sd_V2_brd.thumb.gif.763874be2d88206b8c0b0a876e83885f.gif

That being the case SHIFT+K3 should be the key combination to upgrade the firmware and you should be able to reach firmware version 3.3 as @larryleffaovell did.

However firmware version 2.4 is suspiciously not available in the SIO2SD AVR software download list so maybe there were problems with that version such that you are seeing?

http://sio2sd.org/software_avr/index.html

The USBASP will hopefully sort out your problem with the 6 pin adapter available for the connection.

If you get really stuck there is always the option of borrowing or acquiring a Xgecu TL866II chip programmer which will program the Atmel ATMEGA32 among the other 18000 devices it supports.

The latest iteration Xgecu T48 TL866-3G, programs a whole lot more due to the higher programming voltage available, but is consequently more expensive.

Incidentally I do not own an SIO2SD. I am just analysing the data presented here and hope that my feedback may help.

Best of luck in your endeavour.

2 hours ago, TZJB said:

Just curious on how you connected the 40 pin Atmega32 to the 28 pin Atmega328 socket of the Arduino Uno?

You most certainly have a version 2 SIO2SD as the 74HC245 chip is present. SIO2SD version 1 does not have this chip.

I suspect that the documentation that was with your device was not updated to reflect the newer device as operation is similar.

I guess I didn't notice nor expected a v2 of the board. I should've been more aware.

2 hours ago, TZJB said:

SIO2SD2.4-07.thumb.jpeg.412a64b5bc11eab8340696de25321e71.jpeg

sio2sd_V2_brd.thumb.gif.763874be2d88206b8c0b0a876e83885f.gif

That being the case SHIFT+K3 should be the key combination to upgrade the firmware and you should be able to reach firmware version 3.3 as @larryleffaovell did.

However firmware version 2.4 is suspiciously not available in the SIO2SD AVR software download list so maybe there were problems with that version such that you are seeing?

http://sio2sd.org/software_avr/index.html

The USBASP will hopefully sort out your problem with the 6 pin adapter available for the connection.

If you get really stuck there is always the option of borrowing or acquiring a Xgecu TL866II chip programmer which will program the Atmel ATMEGA32 among the other 18000 devices it supports.

The latest iteration Xgecu T48 TL866-3G, programs a whole lot more due to the higher programming voltage available, but is consequently more expensive.

Incidentally I do not own an SIO2SD. I am just analysing the data presented here and hope that my feedback may help.

Best of luck in your endeavour.

I tried v3.3 as well, it just wouldn't register the presence of the file via SHIFT+K3 or K2, etc.

I should be getting the USBASP and the MKII today. Let's see. This is frustrating, but also fun in a challenging sort of way. If these two devices won't work, I'll try acquiring the Xgecu as you mentioned, thank you for that info!

I also ordered a A8PicoCart, that should be fine for use as well. Only thing I need now is to get the display to be clearer. I am using a RetroTink with the XE130 (with the Atari monitor cable end, to RCA jacks). I read somewhere on this site about a shielded cable that goes to SVideo on the RetroTink. The site was Hercules Workshop where this cable was available from, but they no longer exist. Any other sources for this cable you recommend?

Much appreciate the help! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daze said:

I was able to successfully flash the chip using AVR mkII in its ZIF socket board.

I'm not sure what that means but it sounds good. Did you successfully flash version 3.3?

5 hours ago, TZJB said:

I'm not sure what that means but it sounds good. Did you successfully flash version 3.3?

What I meant was... I bought an external firmware tool, and took the chip out of the SIO2SD and flashed the full image, and put the chip back in with v3.3!

Now if I press SHIFT+K3, it does bring up a firmware upgrade prompt. So my old v2.4_07 firmware was busted. I saved this weird, and not publicly released firmware...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Daze said:

What I meant was... I bought an external firmware tool, and took the chip out of the SIO2SD and flashed the full image, and put the chip back in with v3.3!

Now if I press SHIFT+K3, it does bring up a firmware upgrade prompt. So my old v2.4_07 firmware was busted. I saved this weird, and not publicly released firmware...

That's what we wanted to hear! Well done!

Although I thought that you would flash the chip using USBASP and the AVR-ISP header?

Could you show what the AVR Mk II looks like please?

It's a shame that you needed to go to those lengths to just upgrade a firmware.

13 hours ago, TZJB said:

That's what we wanted to hear! Well done!

Although I thought that you would flash the chip using USBASP and the AVR-ISP header?

Could you show what the AVR Mk II looks like please?

It's this:

https://imgur.com/f0CwZ18

13 hours ago, TZJB said:

It's a shame that you needed to go to those lengths to just upgrade a firmware.

I know, right! But was it a big dopamine hit when it did work! 

Excellent resource is avrfreaks website. I didn't realize that I had to provide extra power to the ZIF board. One would've thought the VCC and GND pins on the 6 pin ICSP would've been enough, but nope, maybe for this 40 pin chip, it requires more.

22 hours ago, Daze said:

It's this:

https://imgur.com/f0CwZ18

I know, right! But was it a big dopamine hit when it did work! 

Excellent resource is avrfreaks website. I didn't realize that I had to provide extra power to the ZIF board. One would've thought the VCC and GND pins on the 6 pin ICSP would've been enough, but nope, maybe for this 40 pin chip, it requires more.

Thank you for clarification.

I understand now that the MEGA32 wouldn't program with the AVR-ISP port due to insuffient power and that is why you resorted to the ZIF adapter board.

I have uploaded the AVRUSB adapter image for permanency as your link may be lost at some future date.

AVRUSB.thumb.png.a83aa812ea22c4d99253e9aca46cbb46.png

On 6/7/2024 at 11:56 AM, Daze said:

The site was Hercules Workshop where this cable was available from, but they no longer exist. Any other sources for this cable you recommend?

I heard the guy is still building cables and selling them. You need to contact him by email. I don't know the email but I remember the discussion was about jailbars in the image and how to remediate that.

3 hours ago, manterola said:

I heard the guy is still building cables and selling them. You need to contact him by email. I don't know the email but I remember the discussion was about jailbars in the image and how to remediate that.

Not sure where to find that guy. Would this work fine?

https://www.8bitclassics.com/product/atari-xlxe-5-pin-din-to-s-video-composite-av-cable/

13 hours ago, Daze said:

Yes that cable should provide S-Video out from a properly modified Atari XL/XE computer. The cables look quite thin so not sure about the quality.

It is possible to make your own Atari S-Video cable, from an S-Video patch cable. Most have two individually screened cables which gives the best quality output. If the cable is long enough you can make two by cutting it in half!

5 hours ago, TZJB said:

Yes that cable should provide S-Video out from a properly modified Atari XL/XE computer. The cables look quite thin so not sure about the quality.

What is the specific modification I need to make?

5 hours ago, TZJB said:

It is possible to make your own Atari S-Video cable, from an S-Video patch cable. Most have two individually screened cables which gives the best quality output. If the cable is long enough you can make two by cutting it in half!

Not sure why the sound is garbled, perhaps my cable is bad... One channel sounds like it is shorted. 

Thanks for the input.

28 minutes ago, Daze said:

What is the specific modification I need to make?

Not sure why the sound is garbled, perhaps my cable is bad... One channel sounds like it is shorted. 

Thanks for the input.

Bear in mind other S-Video mods are available.

In an 800XL, run a wire from J2 pin 5, the 5 pin DIN socket, to resistors R67 and R68 with a 100R resistor in series to provide colour.

In a 130XE make the following changes:-

R204 47 - 68 Ohms

R205 150 - 820 Ohms

R116 51R shorted out

CD4050BE Pin 8/9 to a ground plane.

Regarding the bad sound channel, continuity test the cable from the phono plug. It must be going to the wrong J2 pin. It should connect to the single audio output on J2 pin 3.

• Like 1