IGNORED

What non SAC specific games can use the Speed Roller in the SAC?

Posted (edited)

Tried searching but couldn’t find much (likely I suck at search terms).

Are there CV games non SAC specific that can use the SAC speed roller say instead of exp 2 or roller controller proper?

And does it work reasonably well or forget about it?

Edited by phoenixdownita

I suspect it would not easily replace the steering module, if at all. The resolution is incredibly low on the spinner. It's very simple in that it has 2 magnets 180 degrees apart that actuate 2 reed switches in succession that tell it which direction it's spinning. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, nick3092 said:

I suspect it would not easily replace the steering module, if at all. The resolution is incredibly low on the spinner. It's very simple in that it has 2 magnets 180 degrees apart that actuate 2 reed switches in succession that tell it which direction it's spinning. 

Did not know how it worked, thanks for the explanation.

I was under impression it could be used as a steering wheel or for left/right only roller action … but maybe not.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Pixelboy said:

It means if you spin the spinner while playing Cabbage Patch Kids, the entire game weirdly plays at an accelerated rate.

So is more of a glitch.

Is it the same for the Smurf themed one?

Edited by phoenixdownita

Posted (edited)

No, it's more a thing with Konami games. So Monkey Academy could have the same glitch, but I never tested it.

EDIT: There are a few homebrew Konami MSX ports that also have the same behavior with the spinner, I think King's Valley and Magical Tree are two of them.

Edited by Pixelboy

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Pixelboy said:

No, it's more a thing with Konami games. So Monkey Academy could have the same glitch, but I never tested it.

EDIT: There are a few homebrew Konami MSX ports that also have the same behavior with the spinner, I think King's Valley and Magical Tree are two of them.

Oh, thanks for bringing this up.

Does it make the games “better” in any way?

(I remember for example Daley Thompson Decathlon on C64 had this glitch that if both joysticks were wiggled instead of just the player, it would somehow “add up” … at the javelin throw you could literally see the gfx for the strength meter of the launch adding a couple of blocks past the maximum)

I have a pair of SAC but one has issues and I am debating if I want to fix it at all (3 buttons on the grip don’t seem to work) assuming I can use both for something, vs just binning it.

Edited by phoenixdownita

3 hours ago, phoenixdownita said:

I have a pair of SAC but one has issues and I am debating if I want to fix it at all (3 buttons on the grip don’t seem to work) assuming I can use both for something, vs just binning it.

Taking it apart and spraying the buttons with some Deoxit D5 and working them back and forth several times could easily fix that SAC. May want to repeat a 2nd or 3rd spray and working them back and forth as long as it's opened up. I know a pair of mine had a couple fussy buttons a few years ago. Deoxit got them working as good as new. I see and fix with Deoxit the same issues with the side buttons on standard controllers. Which is not surprising, they look like the exact same switch mechanism.

3 hours ago, nick3092 said:

Taking it apart and spraying the buttons with some Deoxit D5 and working them back and forth several times could easily fix that SAC. May want to repeat a 2nd or 3rd spray and working them back and forth as long as it's opened up. I know a pair of mine had a couple fussy buttons a few years ago. Deoxit got them working as good as new. I see and fix with Deoxit the same issues with the side buttons on standard controllers. Which is not surprising, they look like the exact same switch mechanism.

Tried that, no go … it’s the bottom 3 buttons, maybe I need to desolder them and open each to clean it properly.

I had also a normal CV controller fire button not be fixed by deoxit … it also had keypad issues AND I needed the coiled cable to repair an Adam controller (I dig its color) so for now that’s cable less and unfixed 😊 but it saved another fellow controller.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 6/7/2024 at 2:48 PM, phoenixdownita said:

Tried that, no go … it’s the bottom 3 buttons, maybe I need to desolder them and open each to clean it properly.

I had also a normal CV controller fire button not be fixed by deoxit … it also had keypad issues AND I needed the coiled cable to repair an Adam controller (I dig its color) so for now that’s cable less and unfixed 😊 but it saved another fellow controller.

Fixed my wonky SAC, one of the diode on the button board had a cracked joint, took me a while to notice, once resoldered good as new.

I also purchased and installed "the octogon" ( https://consolemoo.com/shop/ols/products/the-octogon ) on both and the sticks now work well enough.

Note: 8 Bit Milli Games is now Console Moo https://consolemoo.com/8-bit-milli-games

Edited by phoenixdownita