IGNORED

PICO9918 - a TMS9918A drop-in replacement powered by a Pi Pico (RP2040)

31 minutes ago, Gary from OPA said:

Great minds think alike... Which was the codename of one of my big projects back in the day GMTA..

Coincidentally, that's the codename for Gary Mode TMS9918A

Reference:

On 7/11/2024 at 6:06 PM, Gary from OPA said:

Would be nice to have it controllable as software switchable mode from original 100ns stable timing, to super turbo boost mode.

On 7/11/2024 at 6:34 PM, visrealm said:

Gary mode

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, hxlnt said:

Amazing project! Looking forward to grabbing one of these for some 6502 homebrew experiments. Hope they don't sell out too fast. 🤞

Nice one.

You might have seen I'm now using one on my homebrew 6502 build. https://github.com/visrealm/hbc-56

It's very convenient, not having to deal with the VRAM, clock and composite output components.

• Like 2

My Tindie page is live now and I've just made some initial stock available to purchase.

Note: I'm going away for a week from this weekend (back on September 1st), so I've only made available the quantity I'm confident I can ship before this weekend while also being able to ship stock to @arcadeshopper. There's a chance I'll put more up later in the week.

US/Canada: For now, I've disabled shipping to US/Canada to give a chance for Arcade Shopper's stock to arrive. 

image.thumb.png.537ff06a4c73fcc90547d592a4a609a6.png

Store link: PICO9918 from Troy Schrapel on Tindie

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Ikrananka said:

Great project.  I'm curious to know if the colour palette on the PICO9918 is user configurable?

Thanks. Not yet. Well.. you can build the firmware with whatever palette you like, but not yet at runtime.

I'm planning to add support for V9938 and V9958 soon which does support that, but also requires an additional pin to be wired up.  Also, further support for some F18A features. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, visrealm said:

Thanks. Not yet. Well.. you can build the firmware with whatever palette you like, but not yet at runtime.

I'm planning to add support for V9938 and V9958 soon which does support that, but also requires an additional pin to be wired up.  Also, further support for some F18A features. 

Very good to know that the firmware can be built with whatever palette is desired, but a runtime utility to do this would be wonderful if that's possible in the future.  If I remember correctly, aren't the NTSC and PAL palette's a little different - does the firmware account for this?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ikrananka said:

If I remember correctly, aren't the NTSC and PAL palette's a little different - does the firmware account for this?

It's using the NTSC palette. It's acting as a TMS9918A, so when placed in a PAL machine you'll get 60Hz, TMS9918A palette, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/20/2024 at 7:10 PM, visrealm said:

My Tindie page is live now and I've just made some initial stock available to purchase.

Note: I'm going away for a week from this weekend (back on September 1st), so I've only made available the quantity I'm confident I can ship before this weekend while also being able to ship stock to @arcadeshopper. There's a chance I'll put more up later in the week.

US/Canada: For now, I've disabled shipping to US/Canada to give a chance for Arcade Shopper's stock to arrive. 

Great job! I'll definitely be grabbing a couple once @arcadeshopper has them in stock!

Will be a much cheaper option than an F18A in my Tutor, for one.

• Like 2

On 8/21/2024 at 7:36 AM, Duewester said:

Hey this is great progress. @arcadeshopper, could you please put me on your list for one?

no list, but i'll post here when they are here and available. I have learned over the last 2 years to not sell things that haven't arrived yet :)

it just creates stress on both sides and sometimes customs does something stupid and they dissapear

once they are here they will be made available in the store first come first serve

• Like 8

was able to win on eBay, a nice HP 25" monitor with VGA and built-in speakers for only $40 loonies, so once it arrives, I going to put that monitor on my main TI99 system the one with v9938, as currently, I have only a tiny 17" on it, and then move that 17" over to my /QI console setup and installed the PICO9918 on it, and pack away the 10" CRT that I have curently on my /QI, for a future date when I build up a 4th system with only just original TI99 parts, which I have, i just need yet another desk, and another /4A console for it.

s-l1600-1.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 4

Been a very busy week! 

image.thumb.png.8fd28851d35a51efcf1a7e7136dbf3d7.png

image.thumb.png.6174316d6e6339100734359011d7f739.png

image.thumb.png.fa0d97472a734362ede22160305f655e.png

All existing orders have now been shipped. My Tindie store is now temporarily closed while I'm away. I'll be back on deck in September and ready to ship some more. 😎

PS. Will be glad to not have to pick up a soldering iron for a week or so. 🤣

• Like 8

Thank you @visrealm.

I purchased a Digit AVPC when it first came out, and thought, 80-columns *REALLY* makes the TI feel like a real computer. 

Can one of the lucky purchasers display what their installs look like from inside the console to outside the case?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, visrealm said:

Been a very busy week! 

image.thumb.png.8fd28851d35a51efcf1a7e7136dbf3d7.png

image.thumb.png.6174316d6e6339100734359011d7f739.png

image.thumb.png.fa0d97472a734362ede22160305f655e.png

All existing orders have now been shipped. My Tindie store is now temporarily closed while I'm away. I'll be back on deck in September and ready to ship some more. 😎

PS. Will be glad to not have to pick up a soldering iron for a week or so. 🤣

I can see mine. Upper row, 3rd on the right.

Just kidding, thank you so much for the hard work on this. It is really very much appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, JasonACT said:

I wanted to test out the speed of the GPU, so I threw together a test case which just loaded up @Tursi's Mandelbrot code and runs it 2 seconds after the first boot before going to sleep...

https://youtu.be/mfiGvWce0l0

I think that's pretty fast :)

(I did remove the instruction counter assembler, which is no longer needed.)

About 5 seconds, that's not bad. The F18A takes 3, so that's damn close. Likely close enough to run most software.

I was noting the above comments about palette - what F18A features are supported? Just the GPU?

(All my software uses the GPU to detect presence of an F18A, so that'll matter to me. ;) )

• Like 4

So far, 80 column mode, and... now the GPU.  Attached is my very small effort to get the F18A unlock code working, along with the GPU for real (not just a test case anymore, it runs the real Mandelbrot GPU cart).

pico9918-dev.zip

pico9918.zip

Source code, and .uf2 build - using Pico SDK 2.0.0 and not my usual Arduino method - sorry no splash screen, I don't have the Python PIL library built on my machine.  I've also turned off the CRT raster line effect, I hope nobody minds.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, visrealm said:

One core is mostly (95+%) free to run the GPU and we have quite a bit of headroom on the render core for more display features. 

Cool, I hope it would be detailed enough to render one of my pen & ink drawings, that would more than impress me, thanks for the teams hard work. Regards Arto.

• Like 4