IGNORED

Where to buy screws for Atari plastic cases?

The kind I need is this - self-tapping for plastic. The one pictured is one of the four that attaches the keyboard in an 800. The length of thread is about 15mm (19/32") and diameter 3.3mm (1/8"). I'm looking for longer ones.

IMG_3292.thumb.png.83c38354ea301a49b5c1c70417679a46.png

McMaster-Carr would definitely have them, shipping is often pretty high to Australia though. Most of the local threads are metric and are not the same unfortunately. I found these are the same diameter and thread and OK if the thread is already formed - I will have to trim them to length. Made in USA so likely imperial.

IMG_3293.thumb.png.62261977604b32c91184752aae9e780f.png

1 hour ago, DavidMil2 said:

Have you contacted Best Electronics.  He used to have a bucket full of them.

DavidMil2

Well, two issues; I have the originals but I am looking for a longer set to mount something different. Also I don’t much feel like learning how to order from Best without giving offence, I will keep it as a final resort and only risk being barred when I really need something.

• Like 1

Element 14, 100 in a pack. I got 6, 8 and 10 mm for various Atari's. Aussie shipping isn't too painful. They are a smaller slot than the Atari screws though, so you need a smaller screwdriver. Otherwise good.

https://au.element14.com/w/c/fasteners-mechanical/fasteners-fixings/screws-bolts/self-tapping-screws/prl/results?st=pozi%2Bm3%2Bthread%2Bforming%2Bscrew%2Bpan%2Bhead&sort=P_PRICE

• Like 2

On 6/11/2024 at 3:23 AM, Atari030 said:

Element 14, 100 in a pack. I got 6, 8 and 10 mm for various Atari's. Aussie shipping isn't too painful. They are a smaller slot than the Atari screws though, so you need a smaller screwdriver. Otherwise good.

https://au.element14.com/w/c/fasteners-mechanical/fasteners-fixings/screws-bolts/self-tapping-screws/prl/results?st=pozi%2Bm3%2Bthread%2Bforming%2Bscrew%2Bpan%2Bhead&sort=P_PRICE

For those in the US, Newark is the North America affiliate of Element 14 (they state this when you go to the supplied link). They have the same screws that @Atari030 referenced.

https://www.newark.com/c/fasteners-mechanical/fasteners-fixings/screws-bolts/self-tapping-screws?st=pozi%2Bm3%2Bthread%2Bforming%2Bscrew%2Bpan%2Bhead&showResults=true

Edited by scorpio_ny

For years when I needed a screw I would just take the one I have to Home Depot and dig around until I found a proper match. Their selection is quite vast and has never let me down.

You'd have to have a Home Depot locally to you of course. 

On 6/7/2024 at 9:36 PM, aeberbach said:

The kind I need is this - self-tapping for plastic. The one pictured is one of the four that attaches the keyboard in an 800. The length of thread is about 15mm (19/32") and diameter 3.3mm (1/8"). I'm looking for longer ones.

IMG_3292.thumb.png.83c38354ea301a49b5c1c70417679a46.png

Home Depot or Lowes (If you have one locally) may have a thread identifier on the shelf next to the bulk screws.  With that you can determine the thread, and from there you can probably go on Amazon or McMaster-Carr to get the screws you need.