IGNORED

External floppy.. or gotek..no go so far.

I am having issues trying to get an external floppy working on so far.. any of my ST machines.

All have internal drives ..so trying to use them as drive B. They 354AA big button drives. They work if I use them as an internal drive, but in a 354 external case.. no go. Also no go for gotek in same case. 

Any reason these should not work? Can the drive interface board be an issue? But there are 2.. I have 2 cables.. PSU works.. hmmmmm

On 6/9/2024 at 2:45 AM, Bikerbob said:

Was a psu issue.. I am getting 5v.. but it would seem not consistent or not enough power, even though I have voltage. 

James

Some older SF354 single sided floppy drives need 12V to operate the motor. I would expect a Gotek to work though as it only needs 5V and takes little current.

See here for a replacement suggestion:-

Are you connecting the floppy drive In port to the Atari ST?

SF354-351connections.thumb.png.13f6e6ff7c4996928e7d4a4257c08dfa.png

Yep, just like that.. It was the 5v in the psu.. the 12v was working.. but even with the Gotek it was giving me a weird flashing on the red light.. so it was not getting a steady 5v that could power. I have tried another psu for 314 I had.. worked perfect.. 

I really only need 1 psu as I am only keeping 1 REAL external drive - the other has been converted, and it only needs 5v.. So I can power it from a 5v 2amp wall wart. 

James