IGNORED

"Lady of the Universe" an album made mostly with Atari ST

I'm currently listening to the first song on the album, and so far I like it. There are two questions for you: Just how different is Cubase on the ST when compared to Cubase on Windows & Mac OS? Also, can the MIDI files made with Cubase or Notator be used in homebrew game development?

Posted (edited)

Hey, SlidellMan - and thx a lot. 😛

Addressing Your questions -

> can the MIDI files made with Cubase or Notator be used in homebrew game development?
---------------------------
Yes, it's surely possible, there must be some *.MID players ready to use, also there are some Atari ST games with music for MIDI (for Roland MT-32, I believe, and others)..

I prefer to use the General Midi standard, as then a used song should sound more or less similar on all GM devices (there must be some GM stand-alone sound-cards / modules, I imagine. Like KETRON SD2, Miditech PianoBox Pro HOST or sommit).

Here is some txt about it, I see: https://www.jamesfmackenzie.com/2019/06/19/atari-st-games-with-roland-mt-32-midi-support/
The Cubase generate its own file format, that is *.all, but You can export (or SAVE AS...) and use the *.MID files instead).

> Just how different is Cubase on the ST when compared to Cubase on Windows & Mac OS?
-----------------
As far as I recall (and I'm a PC/Win owner only), back in the days the ST and PC version of Cubase were kind of the same (still, the ST version was far more stable).
Nowadays the modern PC version of Cubase is nothing like the ST original, which for me means - ST version is better. :)
https://www.steinberg.net/cubase/compare-editions/

Kind regards,
Yerz

Edited by yerzmyey
  • Like 2

Hey, I've just listened to your album. Great stuff and fantastic that you're using the ST.

I've dabbled with Cubase and also have Notator. Both are powerful tools even today in the 21st century. 

I look forward to your next release.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. :-P

And yes - I do prefer work with Atari ST & Cubase than any modern computer / program. :) It's more comfortable and more stable.

PS: Btw, there's also a MIDI interface for Atari XL/XE - the MIDI MATE - and it works with a tracker-kind of program: "MIDI SEQUENCER". I will try to use it too. :-P