IGNORED

Help with value ?

jetset

My 17 year old asked me to sell his switch on Ebay. I know *nothing* about the system...I'm an old fart that collects and plays mostly Atari and 80's/90's systems. He asked if I could sell it on ebay (which, I would offer it here first tbh. Much more trustworthy buyers)

The unit is in fine shape, only a few minor surface scratches on the screen (I had to clean it just to see them). I have the box, and whatever accessories are inside (Looks like a hand-held controller adapter and two...IDK end covers with a hand strap?) Those are still in the bag sealed. He has 2 downloaded games on it, Super Smash Brothers, and and Scribblenauts Mega Pack. Not sure if those would stay on the system? He said they can't be transferred so I guess those would be included? Hopefully it's not a faux pas asking but can anyone help with a ballpark amount? Yes I've checked Ebay, looks like they're in the $200 range. Does that sound about right? And would whomever buys it get those games? (I barked at him for spending $60 bucks on at least one of those games when it's just a (apparently non-transferrable) game file, not a cartridge. 

I appreciate the assist.

Edited by jetset

The download games have zero value, they're non transferrable, and before you dunk the thing, make sure you remove your credit cards/digital payments, then your Nintendo network ID so someone can't get access to your info/money.

I would look at the box and stuff, maybe share some images, the Switch has had a couple revisions over time, it may matter to someone, same with the color of the dock/system/controllers.

Yeah you barked wisely, he paid $60 for a long term rental.

• Thanks 1

Also you can check Amazon in the used pricing for the Switch model matching yours to get an idea.

Note the eBay+paypal can take up to 20-25% of the total sale (which includes shipping) … on Amazon it can be even higher so take that into account when you settle on a price.

If you see eBay sold items priced at say 200 final sale, likely the seller has seen less than 150 (not sure here, I looked it up recently but haven’t done the fine math, maybe some members with ebay experience may chime in) … if you sell it here that’s the ballpark expectation (aka at or below what you’d get net of fees and charges had it sold on eBay for a reasonable price, make obvious if selling here if shipping is included or separate and be ready to tell people a ballpark of what shipping would be, if they pay PayPal f&f you have to come up with the total upfront anyway).

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Tanooki said:

The download games have zero value, they're non transferrable, and before you dunk the thing, make sure you remove your credit cards/digital payments, then your Nintendo network ID so someone can't get access to your info/money.

I would look at the box and stuff, maybe share some images, the Switch has had a couple revisions over time, it may matter to someone, same with the color of the dock/system/controllers.

Yeah you barked wisely, he paid $60 for a long term rental.

Thanks! I'll do a factory reset. That would wipe out everything (credit cards, account passwords, etc) is that correct?

And yea...the game file IS just a long term rental. My older son buys games for his system(s), I've tried like hell to get him to buy physical copies where possible, BUT he's his own man now so I gave him Dads advice, and that's that. What's funny is I've been going through 40 years of systems, a few were his - he originally even told me at one point he didn't want them "throw them out or donete them dad I don't want that old crap" (Ps2 and Wii for sure). That was until I bragged that I was making money selling MY old stuff (dupes, etc) both on Ebay and here. He stopped by and I said "Hey...I'm going to sell off your stuff, I'll give you half of what I make"  That prompted him to look at the systems and games. "Oh my god dad! Don't sell THIS game or THAT game!! Wow Pikmin and Super Smash Brothers at least) DON'T get ridd of those. Those games were like my entire childhood!" One point for dad!!!

Ultimately the music and videogame industry got what they wanted...no more reselling so the likes of Garth Brooks (who said he has more money than then next 3 generations of his family won't need a penny - then was the one making the biggest stink over used cd stores) can sleep well. 🤑 No doubt by the time at least MY generation (X) is gone the generations after will never buy physical media again, even if there's a choice.

Again (if you read this far lol!) Thanks for the info!

9 hours ago, phoenixdownita said:

Also you can check Amazon in the used pricing for the Switch model matching yours to get an idea.

Note the eBay+paypal can take up to 20-25% of the total sale (which includes shipping) … on Amazon it can be even higher so take that into account when you settle on a price.

If you see eBay sold items priced at say 200 final sale, likely the seller has seen less than 150 (not sure here, I looked it up recently but haven’t done the fine math, maybe some members with ebay experience may chime in) … if you sell it here that’s the ballpark expectation (aka at or below what you’d get net of fees and charges had it sold on eBay for a reasonable price, make obvious if selling here if shipping is included or separate and be ready to tell people a ballpark of what shipping would be, if they pay PayPal f&f you have to come up with the total upfront anyway).

Kewl! Good info also!

I know I can (and will) do my own research, but I lean towards trusting gamers from this system to be more accurate and honest than "Dr Google" or Pricecharting.

It's all good.  Yes, go into the eshop, remove your financial data (just being doubly safe), then you can opt into killing your NNID I think on the system itself which wouldn't be a bad idea either if you're truly over it.  From there, do the factory reset and it's back to simulating being a fresh out of the box never used system that'll boot and go right into first time system setup.

You're being generous giving the kid 50%, he said toss it because it's worthless since people have manipulated him into thinking physical is dumb and the BUY button means you own a download.  I've pounded this home since the Wii era it's a lie and had for years got called stupid, ripped on, laughed at...and when stores close, IP transfers hands causing erasing(TMNT etc) and the crying and bitching ensues I'm still there to remind them they were warned and had it coming and it's rewarding when you have people clam up since they can't get insulting again or better apologize since they got fleeced. :)

43 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

It's all good.  Yes, go into the eshop, remove your financial data (just being doubly safe), then you can opt into killing your NNID I think on the system itself which wouldn't be a bad idea either if you're truly over it.  From there, do the factory reset and it's back to simulating being a fresh out of the box never used system that'll boot and go right into first time system setup.

You're being generous giving the kid 50%, he said toss it because it's worthless since people have manipulated him into thinking physical is dumb and the BUY button means you own a download.  I've pounded this home since the Wii era it's a lie and had for years got called stupid, ripped on, laughed at...and when stores close, IP transfers hands causing erasing(TMNT etc) and the crying and bitching ensues I'm still there to remind them they were warned and had it coming and it's rewarding when you have people clam up since they can't get insulting again or better apologize since they got fleeced. :)

Lol. What is NNID? (See: old fart reference above).

To my son...nah. Honestly it was a good "life lesson" about holding onto things you'd otherwise throw away. Something my dad never did. Now he saves the boxes and instructions for the systems he buys now. Had I known then what I know now? I sold off all of my original Kenner Star Wars stuff and made GOOD money from those, and most of it had some kind of imperfection - a missing beam for the Death Star, one of the wheels on the landspeeder broken, etc. He told me to do the same of his Funko pops (BTW, he moved out but I let him leave a lot of his stuff). They're in a box in the garage.

A while back, maybe a year(ish) ago he called and asked if I still had them which I of course I told him I did. He was relieved so the "lecture" (my kids get a LOT from me - like it or not) worked. Of course they'll no doubt be the Beanie Baby waste of HIS generation, but at least when I'm gone he'll for sure he'll have a more "adult" way of thinking about it. Maybe leave them to HIS kids...if hever has one. Only a few more big achievements left even though I'm only 56. Retirement and having a becoming a grandfather. 

N(intendo)

N(etwork)

ID is ID

In the end it was a cheaper than it could have been mistake and they learned their lesson to not chug the kool-aid of TOS and pretty BUY buttons, because they collude to make you think you control anything at all when they can pull the plug at any moment and time, for any reason, even one made up.

The games are only rentals if you store them on the internal memory, you can still use them on the next system or whatever, since they are tied to your NNID.

But I get the argument about wanting to sell games, so lets not start this discussion again.

EDIT: In terms of selling, I would either store it in a box for 10 years or so, or modify it for homebrew and THEN sell it.

On 6/16/2024 at 6:22 PM, CPUWIZ said:

The games are only rentals if you store them on the internal memory, you can still use them on the next system or whatever, since they are tied to your NNID.

EDIT: In terms of selling, I would either store it in a box for 10 years or so, or modify it for homebrew and THEN sell it.

So he'd KEEP his NNID (account) but delete payment options. IF he has them only on internal memory can he load it to his account?

And ya trust me...I'd MUCH rather he holds on to it, BUT he's 17. He's discovered girls and is "growing out" of videogames. My older son did the same at that age and truth be told, so did I lol.

1 minute ago, jetset said:

So he'd KEEP his NNID (account) but delete payment options. IF he has them only on internal memory can he load it to his account?

And ya trust me...I'd MUCH rather he holds on to it, BUT he's 17. He's discovered girls and is "growing out" of videogames. My older son did the same at that age and truth be told, so did I lol.

A.) You can download the digital games any time, the Switch's memory is not that big and I am sure he probably has a SD card as well.

B.) Buy it from him, clean it and package it away safely.

2 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

A.) You can download the digital games any time, the Switch's memory is not that big and I am sure he probably has a SD card as well.

B.) Buy it from him, clean it and package it away safely.

A) Good info thanks!
B) Can't. My wife knows where I live, and my oxygen addiction would be instantly cured with a pillow.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Is it a Switch or a Switch Lite?

I'm assuming the former, but it's helpful to know.  The two Joycon controllers can be removed from the unit, right?

I might have some nieces/nephews still trying to get one.

• 2 weeks later...

Bummer the wife would object, keeping it would have been my recommendation too.

Before selling to an unknown I would do a system reset. I'd have no issue with someone else playing the games, but wouldn't want someone buying games on my account or some less than savory person getting my account banned.

As for value, even used Nintendo stuff tends to hold its value, original switch will typically go for $150-200 unless its a special edition bundled job, some of those command high money. The oled is a bit more valuable than the original, but its surprisingly not a huge difference (oled has a bigger brighter screen, but otherwise uses all the same accessories) the lite is smaller, uses no accessories and can go for less.

Check out something like videogame price charting, that may be the actual site, but it'll give prices for various models with varying degrees of completeness.