IGNORED

List of Every Atari 2600 game with POWER UPS!

11 hours ago, Propane13 said:

Would a shield count as a power-up?  It's not a weapon.

Hello, @Propane13!  Did you see what I wrote?  (Rule of Thumb)  Is the "shield" a symbol that, if touched, upgrades your abilities?  Or is it a literal shield that you can use to protect yourself from swords and arrows?  If the former, it's probably a power up.  If the later, it's probably not.  See?  Was that helpful?  

On 6/29/2024 at 11:27 PM, Automazeon 1967 said:

Save Mary has powerups that can be collected and used.  The actual manual for this game is in the Atari 50 compilation, which lists the various powerups, but they are also listed on the Save Mary page at AtariProtos.

Alright, @Automazeon 1967, let's have a look at Save Mary and see how it matches up with our criteria for power ups, shall we? 

Thanks for the heads up.  Here's the manual/description at Atari Protos as you said.  

In particular, the description says

Spoiler

Thankfully there are several power-ups to help you accomplish your task.  Power-ups appear on the cliff sides and require that you pick them up and drop them off at the top of the canyon to activate them.  These power-ups do a wide variety of things:

• The Plug    Stops the water from rising for a few seconds
  • Stop Sign    Makes Mary stop hopping around like an idiot (very handy)
  • Oil Can    Makes your crane move faster
  • Gold Block    Makes Mary invincible to being squished by falling blocks
  • Number    Gives you bonus points
  • Mary Figure    Gives you extra life

Here are some videos I looked at.  

Spoiler

I think I quite agree.  Those are power ups!  

Discussion

Spoiler

For example, the stop sign.  Are we to believe that it is literally a stop sign and Mary changes her behavior due to traffic laws in the quarry?  Of course not.  The stop sign is a symbol and a power up.

Another example.  The plug.  Are we to believe that the plug is literally a plug that will fill a hole in the quarry?  That's not reasonable.  What's more reasonable IMO is that the "plug" is a symbol and a power up in this game.  

So let's add Save Mary to List A, shall we?

Spoiler

ATARI 2600 GAMES WITH POWER UPS

POWER UP - GENERAL DEFINITION

• It is something that you collect in-game during the action that gives your avatar special abilities or weapons upgrades, usually for a limited time.  Usually they are used immediately, but sometimes they are stored for later use.  

POWER UP - GENERAL CRITERIA

• In the game, there is an object you can see called a power up.

• A power up cannot be a living thing such as a person.

• During the action of the game, you must "collect" the power up, usually by touching it or shooting it.

• Upon collecting the power up, the power up item disappears and your avatar in the game receives special abilities or weapons upgrades. All of this happens immediately.

• Usually, the effect of the power up lasts for a limited time. Upon wearing off, your avatar in the game is restored to its normal abilities and powers.

References

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-up

2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Item_(game_terminology)

***************************************************************************************************

LIST A – IMMEDIATE EFFECT, LASTS A SHORT TIME, CANNOT BE STORED

Criteria: These power ups disappear immediately when you touch them. Their effect is immediate and lasts for a short time. They cannot be stored.

• Aliens, Plasma Guns & Chewing Gum (homebrew) – chewing gum

• Jr. Pac-Man – power pellets

• Miner 2049er Vols. I & II – old miner possessions

• Montezuma's Revenge - amulet

• Ms. Pac-Man – power pellets

• Off the Wall – multiple power ups

• Pac-Man (all Atari 2600 versions) – power pellets

• Paranoid (unofficial Arkanoid homebrew) – multiple power ups

• Popeye – the spinach

• Q*bert – the green ball

• Save Mary – multiple power ups

• Space Game – multiple power ups

• Sprint Master – red and blue boxes

• Zippy the Porcupine (homebrew) – multiple power ups

***************************************************************************************************

LIST B – CAN BE STORED AND USED LATER

Criteria: These power ups can be stored and used later, but once used, they immediately disappear. This storage of power ups also permits combinations as in Desert Falcon.

• Desert Falcon – multiple power ups

• Fall Down – function of power ups depends on how many you have.

• Mouse Trap – Bones

LIST C - THE POWER UP ITEM DOES NOT DISAPPEAR WHEN YOU TOUCH IT

Criteria: These power ups do not disappear when you touch them.  The example is the energy pods in Vanguard.

• Vanguard - energy pods

LIST D – THE EFFECT OF THE POWER UP LASTS UNTIL YOU LOSE A LIFE

Criteria: The power up effect lasts until you die. The example is the double shot power in Gyruss.

• Gyruss – double shots

NOT POWER UPS

• Adventure - The Gold Key doesn't match our criteria for power ups because it is an item that you can carry around with you. Same with the sword.

• Asteroids (shields, hyperspace, flip) because you didn't have to collect an item to gain these special abilities.

• Double Dragon (baseball bats, knives, oil drums) these weapons don't disappear after you collect them, so, no, they don't meet our criteria for being power ups.

• E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial – candy pieces – do not meet our criteria for power ups because they do not give E.T. any kind of "exceptional abilities or powers." They only give E.T. some energy.

• Haunted House – The scepter is an item (a pick up) that you can carry around, so it does not match our criteria for power ups.

• Journey Escape – The Mighty Manager (AKA "Kool Aid Man") and the Loyal Roadie are people, so they don't meet our criteria to be power ups.

• Pooyan – The bait is not a power up because it is an that you can throw.

• Raiders of the Lost Ark – flute – It doesn't match our criteria for power ups because it is an item (a pick up) that you can carry around with you and use later.

• Spy Hunter – No, because the oil slick sprayer, missile launcher, machine gun and smoke screen sprayer are weapons, not power ups.

• Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back – There is no object on the screen to collect in order to get invincibility from The Force. Therefore, The Force in this game does not meet our criteria to be a power up.

UNSURE

• 1942 (homebrew) – the POW/wider shots power up lasts until you lose a life, yes?

TO BE FILED

• Front Line (you can get in tanks) (Propane13)

• Fatal Run – Fatal Run appears to have fuel and bullets only; those don't count as Power Ups by the definition in this Thread. (Propane13)

• Commando? In the 7800 version, there is a Machine Gun power up and a knife power up. Not sure if those are in the 2600 version. (Propane13)

• Pressure Gauge 2 (unfinished homebrew) definitely valid (Propane13)

• Dark Chambers? forget Dark Chambers.  It has health/keys/bombs, which would not count. (Propane13)

• * What about the Necklace and the Sceptre in Riddle of the Sphinx? Probably falls in the same category as Raiders. (Propane13)

• Sentinel has weapon upgrades, but also a "movement" power up that can be applied. (Propane13)

• It could be argued that holding onto the truck in Skateboardin' gives you a super-speed powerup. (Propane13)

• Survival Island - there are items you can get in this game such as a Compass and a Lantern; these make the game easier to play. I haven't played enough to know if any of the long list of items could be considered a power-up; maybe others have more experience. (Propane13)

• Sword of Saros - the Lamp makes the entire maze visible; the ring grants invisibility; there may be others. Again, I haven't played this one enough; I believe the items are single-use, but someone else would likely know better. (Propane13)

• Do any of the treasuers in Tutankham have any power-up abilities? I don't remember. (Propane13)

• Wing War allows for the creation of a "Super Crystal", which "increases the range of fireballs, giving the Dragon greater power against its enemies." (Propane13)

Good stuff, @Automazeon 1967!  And thanks for that nomination.  

• 2 months later...

@Thomas Jentzsch  Hello, Mr. Thomas.  In your recent post in your blog, you mention that Bot & Tom has power ups.  Would you care to say a few words about the power ups in your game so we can classify it and add it to the right list?  

BTW, I love the game.  I spent a little time playing it tonight, and this is how far I got.  

Spoiler

image.jpeg.988ec243b3aa05cd5400d7a75b913013.jpeg

Game 1 Diff A/B, Lvl 4, 15892

7 hours ago, Living Room Arcade said:

@Thomas Jentzsch  Hello, Mr. Thomas.  In your recent post in your blog, you mention that Bot & Tom has power ups.  Would you care to say a few words about the power ups in your game so we can classify it and add it to the right list?  

BTW, I love the game.  I spent a little time playing it tonight, and this is how far I got.  

Hide contents

image.jpeg.988ec243b3aa05cd5400d7a75b913013.jpeg

Game 1 Diff A/B, Lvl 4, 15892

Thanks!

There are 5 power-ups:

• blue bomb: destroys all blue obstacles on screen
  • orange bomb: destroys all orange obstacles on screen
  • left arrow: moves the bots a bit backwards 
  • battery: restores some energy
  • 1000 points: self-explanatory :) 
  • Like 1

@Thomas Jentzsch  Thank you.  It's my pleasure.  

Looks like List A to me.  With your kind permission, Mr. Thomas, I add Bot & Tom onto our List A as follows:

Spoiler

ATARI 2600 GAMES WITH POWER UPS

POWER UP - GENERAL DEFINITION

• It is something that you collect in-game during the action that gives your avatar special abilities or weapons upgrades, usually for a limited time.  Usually they are used immediately, but sometimes they are stored for later use.  

POWER UP - GENERAL CRITERIA

• In the game, there is an object you can see called a power up.

• A power up cannot be a living thing such as a person.

• During the action of the game, you must "collect" the power up, usually by touching it or shooting it.

• Upon collecting the power up, the power up item disappears and your avatar in the game receives special abilities or weapons upgrades. Usually, all of this happens immediately.

• Usually, the effect of the power up lasts for a limited time. Upon wearing off, your avatar in the game is restored to its normal abilities and powers.

References

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-up

2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Item_(game_terminology)

LIST A – IMMEDIATE EFFECT, LASTS A SHORT TIME, CANNOT BE STORED

Criteria: These power ups disappear immediately when you touch them. Their effect is immediate and lasts for a short time. They cannot be stored.

• Aliens, Plasma Guns & Chewing Gum (homebrew) – chewing gum

• Bot & Tom (homebrew) - multiple power ups

• Jr. Pac-Man – power pellets

• Miner 2049er Vols. I & II – old miner possessions

• Montezuma's Revenge - amulet

• Ms. Pac-Man – power pellets

• Off the Wall – multiple power ups

• Pac-Man (all Atari 2600 versions) – power pellets

• Paranoid (unofficial Arkanoid homebrew) – multiple power ups

• Popeye – the spinach

• Q*bert – the green ball

• Save Mary – multiple power ups

• Space Game – multiple power ups

• Sprint Master – red and blue boxes

• Zippy the Porcupine (homebrew) – multiple power ups

LIST B – CAN BE STORED AND USED LATER

Criteria: These power ups can be stored and used later, but once used, they immediately disappear. This storage of power ups also permits combinations as in Desert Falcon.

• Desert Falcon – multiple power ups

• Fall Down – function of power ups depends on how many you have.

• Mouse Trap – Bones

LIST C - THE POWER UP ITEM DOES NOT DISAPPEAR WHEN YOU TOUCH IT

Criteria: These power ups do not disappear when you touch them.  The example is the energy pods in Vanguard.

• Vanguard - energy pods

LIST D – THE EFFECT OF THE POWER UP LASTS UNTIL YOU LOSE A LIFE

Criteria: The power up effect lasts until you die. The example is the double shot power in Gyruss.

• Gyruss – double shots

NOT POWER UPS

• Adventure - The Gold Key doesn't match our criteria for power ups because it is an item that you can carry around with you. Same with the sword.

• Asteroids (shields, hyperspace, flip) because you didn't have to collect an item to gain these special abilities.

• Double Dragon (baseball bats, knives, oil drums) these weapons don't disappear after you collect them, so, no, they don't meet our criteria for being power ups.

• E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial – candy pieces – do not meet our criteria for power ups because they do not give E.T. any kind of "exceptional abilities or powers." They only give E.T. some energy.

• Haunted House – The scepter is an item (a pick up) that you can carry around, so it does not match our criteria for power ups.

• Journey Escape – The Mighty Manager (AKA "Kool Aid Man") and the Loyal Roadie are people, so they don't meet our criteria to be power ups.

• Pooyan – The bait is not a power up because it is an that you can throw.

• Raiders of the Lost Ark – flute – It doesn't match our criteria for power ups because it is an item (a pick up) that you can carry around with you and use later.

• Spy Hunter – No, because the oil slick sprayer, missile launcher, machine gun and smoke screen sprayer are weapons, not power ups.

• Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back – There is no object on the screen to collect in order to get invincibility from The Force. Therefore, The Force in this game does not meet our criteria to be a power up.

UNSURE

• 1942 (homebrew) – the POW/wider shots power up lasts until you lose a life, yes?

TO BE FILED

• Front Line (you can get in tanks) (Propane13)

• Fatal Run – Fatal Run appears to have fuel and bullets only; those don't count as Power Ups by the definition in this Thread. (Propane13)

• Commando? In the 7800 version, there is a Machine Gun power up and a knife power up. Not sure if those are in the 2600 version. (Propane13)

• Pressure Gauge 2 (unfinished homebrew) definitely valid (Propane13)

• Dark Chambers? forget Dark Chambers.  It has health/keys/bombs, which would not count. (Propane13)

• * What about the Necklace and the Sceptre in Riddle of the Sphinx? Probably falls in the same category as Raiders. (Propane13)

• Sentinel has weapon upgrades, but also a "movement" power up that can be applied. (Propane13)

• It could be argued that holding onto the truck in Skateboardin' gives you a super-speed powerup. (Propane13)

• Survival Island - there are items you can get in this game such as a Compass and a Lantern; these make the game easier to play. I haven't played enough to know if any of the long list of items could be considered a power-up; maybe others have more experience. (Propane13)

• Sword of Saros - the Lamp makes the entire maze visible; the ring grants invisibility; there may be others. Again, I haven't played this one enough; I believe the items are single-use, but someone else would likely know better. (Propane13)

• Do any of the treasuers in Tutankham have any power-up abilities? I don't remember. (Propane13)

• Wing War allows for the creation of a "Super Crystal", which "increases the range of fireballs, giving the Dragon greater power against its enemies." (Propane13)