IGNORED

Season 15 ~ Major League Tournament!

Posted (edited)
On 7/2/2024 at 11:20 PM, kermit73 said:

I wish I knew enough about Atari 2600 programming to see if there is any way to predict the next oncoming object (be it a diver, ship, log, or otherwise) and where it's going to show up, or better yet, see if there is anything you can do to increase the probability of getting a diver.

If this game is programmed with techniques like most other 2600 tiles, it's likely a random 2-bit value (4 possible values) for the element that appears (gator, swimmer, boat, log), and a 1-bit value to determine location (2 possibilities - probably left side and right side). The elements seem to appear at a fixed interval based on distance rather than time. If my assumptions are accurate, it is VERY unlikely that there are any visual indicators or patterns that could facilitate predictability, or inputs that one could use to manipulate placement. I took a brief look at the code, and nothing is blatantly evident, but I didn't spend any amount of serious time looking in order to confirm these theories ... about 2 minutes, tbh.

Edited by ZilchSr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tutankham: 5337

Here's a game that turns out to be much harder with an emulator.  There are sections of certain boards that I could routinely clear on original hardware (albeit with a close call if the game spawns the fastest enemy), but with emulation, the same pattern will get me killed.  I'm having to play a much more conservative game and needed to adjust some of my patterns, leaving more treasures than usual behind on the higher levels.  Since I'm on the road, I only have the emulator available to me for the rest of this round.

image.thumb.png.096b0afb887323b5b6d3e1f91331781f.png

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

River Raid Improvement - 178,270

@ZilchSr, amazing scores. Your greatest expectation is to reach the MAJOR milestone - ZERO strikes until the end of this Tournament. You got CLOSER to the maxout in River Raid.

RiverRaid(1982)(Activision)_4.thumb.png.a8f87856556b405fec44a84c17283a64.png

Edited by oyamafamily
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, oyamafamily said:

@ZilchSrYou got CLOSER to the maxout in River Raid.

Thank you Wilson! I was actually pretty angry about my River Raid score, though. I had 7 lives in reserve when my score was in the 800K range,  and I just lost them all with only 50K left to reach the million. Im glad my recording did not have the microphone turned on. I was cussing up a storm LOL! 😆🤣😂 I feel like I just wasted 3 hours of my time.

Edited by ZilchSr
  • Like 1

For the remainder of this week, I will be traveling with a group of youth from my church and am not going to have any additional time to play.  Seeing that I am below the strike line on two of the games, it's apparent I will not be making it to the 3rd round.

Best of luck to those who make it to the 3rd round and congrats to all.  It's been a very competitive season and we are clearly pushing many of these games to their limit.

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

4 hours ago, fakecortex said:

Wow, there are some insane scores here. Looks like both tournaments are raiding rivers right now. Any tips for us minor leaguers? 

Fly SLOW until your reach about 75K, then fly normal speed. The slower you can fly, the less that mistakes will be made.

• Thanks 1