IGNORED

Horizontal Video Interference/Noise

GameLifter

Recently I got back into playing my Jaguar and noticed it has horizontal video noise, particularly on light gray and brown colors. So far I've fully re-capped the system as well as replaced the audio and main 5V voltage regulators and inductor coil. The video noise appears on all types of connections. I've tried composite, s-video and RGB. Can this noise be fixed or is it something inherent to the console?

12 hours ago, Zerosquare said:

Can you post a picture of how it looks like?

I attempted to get a video of it but it didn't show up well due to having to record my CRT directly.

3 hours ago, cubanismo said:

Anything like the noise I saw in the video I posted here?

Yes! That's exactly what I'm getting.

16 hours ago, GameLifter said:

Yes! That's exactly what I'm getting.

Ok, I don't have a solution, unfortunately, but I've seen flawless twitch streams and YouTube recordings of Jaguar gameplay, so I suspect there is one out there

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, cubanismo said:

Ok, I don't have a solution, unfortunately, but I've seen flawless twitch streams and YouTube recordings of Jaguar gameplay, so I suspect there is one out there

I gotcha, were the streams using an adapter? I've been looking at the JagAIOA. The specs say it has a built-in RGB amp that helps with brightness and noise. I've been using an older revision Retro Gaming Cables SCART cable. It needs the extra cap and resistor though so I should do that next. I also tried the Jag2SNES adapter with my SNES SCART cables but they too had the video noise as well as bad smearing. Once the JagAIOA adapters come back in stock at Stone Aga Gamer I'll grab one and see if it improves things.

Edited by GameLifter

Per that thread, the video was made using my own multi AV IO board connected to a cheap WinTV USB capture device. However, I saw the same thing using an official Atari S-Video cable, and I couldn't really see any issues using the RGB out of my adapter, but I suspect the monitor may have just been filtering it out.