IGNORED

Harmony DIP switch game selector

batari

Do you miss DIP switch multicarts?

Some thought they were a pain, but some say they had some charm.

If you want to experience one again, and you have an SD-card version of Harmony, you can relive the experience with this device.

This inserts into the SD card slot of your Harmony. Your SD card then plugs into this device.

You create your own multicart with files on the SD, and they can be run automatically by switch selection instead of navigating a menu. This supports up to 255 games. The games can use whatever mapper you want, and there is some flexibility in file name use so that the card will still be usable in multicart mode on a real 2600.

There is another version that uses two 10-position rotary wheels instead of the 8-position DIP switch. This supports 100 games instead of 255.

Of course it works on a real 2600, but this may also be useful on the 2600+. Since you can now play games on a Harmony cart from the SD card using autorom.bin, this device can help you to easily select more than one game per SD card without having to repeatedly copy files or use multiple cards.

It's still in development, but as the device is designed to be simple and economical, it won't be very expensive. $15 is the price target for the DIP switch. The rotary wheel version may be a few dollars more due to part cost.

Clearly, this is for SD versions of the cart. I will investigate a microSD version.

IMG_5744.jpg

IMG_5746.jpg

IMG_5745.jpg

• Like 8

52 minutes ago, batari said:

It's still in development, but as the device is designed to be simple and economical, it won't be very expensive. $15 is the price target for the DIP switch.

I’m in. I like DIP switch multicarts and would like one of these for use with my 2600+. Thanks.

Oooh this looks great! Will def be interested when it's completed 👍

I've been using DIP switch boards with my 2600+, and it's great being able to change the switches without taking the cart (well board!) in and out. 

20240615_113705.jpg