IGNORED

Has the Stella "Training Manual" been scanned? EDIT: Scan is now attached in thread.

I am going through a bunch of stuff in my collection and I found one of these amongst a lot I purchased from a 2600 developer, about 15~ years ago or so.  I got EVERYTHING he had, including his Atari ST, lots of cool stuff.

I'll post a pic of the cover sheet in a bit, just in case it is different.

• Like 1

Wow, I would have figured Curt released this ages ago.  Quite a lot of pages, weird stuff, including the full schematic and copies of a couple of manuals from early games.  I'll take a pic of it feathered out on the table later.  

I've collected several binders full of original service manuals and programmer docs, maybe I should take another look through that box.

• Like 2

Pretty sure our scanner can feed pages, I'll get it scanned, or do it myself.  

27 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

100%!

Not sure if you are familiar with it, but it is literally an entire bankers box full. :skull:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Another interesting thing is the second half of the PDF is the Stella Programmer's guide but updated by Darryl May on 7/1/88.  I wonder what was changed. Is this updated version new to the homebrewing community?

4 minutes ago, Big Player said:

Another interesting thing is the second half of the PDF is the Stella Programmer's guide but updated by Darryl May on 7/1/88.  I wonder what was changed. Is this updated version new to the homebrewing community?

Right?  I should have done a McGrail and listed it on ePay for $$$$ instead of scanning it for everyone. 😛

I don't know if there are other sections, these were in it's own Priority Mail envelope, along with the stickers.

Why do you guys need to OCR it?  The device we used could have done that. :ponder:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Big Player said:

I've had the 1988 version since I started with the 2600 a few years ago. It was one of the first things I downloaded, probably from AtariAge.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

E.g. you can search the document.

I've hopefully corrected all the spelling mistakes and other errors produced by the OCR.

The Stella System Training Manual, version 1_1.pdf

(The original scan is still visible but I've added an invisible text layer so it can be searched)

Edited by JetSetIlly
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
On 7/2/2024 at 7:50 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I am using this document.

Stella_Programmers_Guide_20211027.pdf 1.67 MB · 13 downloads

Can anyone verify if I spaced the following correctly? (used color lines to show where on the OSC it lines up for VSYNC, SYN, and Wait for Sync.

Want to make sure if I spend the time rebuilding the images on the last 6 pages, I rebuild it correctly.  (PAGE 54 of Stella Programmer's Guide)

Stella_Programmers_Guide_20211027_Page_54-GRAPHIC.png

Stella_Programmers_Guide_20211027_Page_54_NEW.tif

Edited by Kirkland
clarity

OK, here is what I've accomplished on the rebuild of the last 6 pages of that Stella Programmer's Guide.

Pages 51-55 were relatively easy to map out, but page 56 had some hand drawn lines on the original that just didn't seem to align nicely with the OSC waveform.  It looked like some hit mid-cycle, others started or finished..off (the "5 OSC cycles" at the bottom for example)

If you see any errors or issues- please let me know.  It's way past my sleepytime.

Stella_Programmers_Guide_20211027_Page_51.tif Stella_Programmers_Guide_20211027_Page_52.tif Stella_Programmers_Guide_20211027_Page_53.tif Stella_Programmers_Guide_20211027_Page_54.tif Stella_Programmers_Guide_20211027_Page_55.tif Stella_Programmers_Guide_20211027_Page_56.tif

• Like 3