IGNORED

Night Driver Arcade Test 2600

alfredtdk

I made a quick concept based on Arcade Night Driver.
There is an interesting discussion about this in the 2600 hacks section of the original Night Driver.
In version 2600 the missiles are used as side barriers. But it would be possible to use the playing field to have the same effect

I don't understand why player0 is having the colors change when accelerating. Does anyone know what is causing this
I make the source code available for anyone who wants to make the necessary corrections.
For now it is an exercise in imagination, but in the future it could give rise to something concrete.

NIGHT_DRIVER_ARCADE_TEST.bas_1.png

To run on the Stella emulator

NIGHT_DRIVER_ARCADE_TEST.bas NIGHT_DRIVER_ARCADE_TEST.bas.bin

To run on flashcarts

Night_Driver_Arcade.bas.bin

Edited by alfredtdk
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

NIGHT DRIVER ARCADE TEST 02

In test version 02 I use the missiles in another way to compose the road, just for curiosity purposes.
In future versions I intend to give the same use to the missiles as it was in the original version for the Atari 2600.
When removing the playercolors the color flickering appears to have disappeared.

You can also move right or left while accelerating.

N_D_A_T.bas.png

N_D_A_Test2.bas N_D_A_Test2.bas.bin

Edited by alfredtdk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@alfredtdk, Will the game use paddles?  

It says paddles only work with the standard kernel and there will be the loss of missile0.

Spoiler

"Paddles only work with the standard kernel. Before you can read paddles with your batari Basic program, you must set the readpaddle and no_blank_lines kernel_options."

"the cost of using no_blank_lines is the loss of missile0."

But you are using missile0 for collision detection with the left side of the road.  How to solve this?  

Posted (edited)

NIGHT DRIVER ARCADE TEST READPADDLES

I'm conducting tests with the read paddles. Believe me, I don't have real paddles to test on the original hardware. Could someone test it with paddles, please. Ficp thanks for the help.

I'm not used to playing games that require paddles on Stella. So could anyone know how I configure Stella so that the mouse is recognized as paddles. Thanks

Below is the test rom configured for the paddles. I used the Batari Basic model example from Randon Terrain for this.
So don't be surprised by crazy things like the second car behaving like a PONG Breakout ball. 
I haven't introduced the classic subroutines for collisions between cars yet.

N_D_A_Test_ReadPaddles.bas.png

NOTE
Reevaluating the version with paddles for improvement.

Edited by alfredtdk
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Living Room Arcade said:

It says paddles only work with the standard kernel and there will be the loss of missile0.

Reveal hidden contents

"Paddles only work with the standard kernel. Before you can read paddles with your batari Basic program, you must set the readpaddle and no_blank_lines kernel_options."

But you are using missile0 for collision detection with the left side of the road.  How to solve this?  

Try the version above, unfortunately I don't have paddles at home to conduct tests on the real console.
The Stella emulator that I'm using is not configured for paddles, so I have no idea if it's actually working, whether or not the car changes from left to right and vice versa. I would appreciate some feedback.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Living Room Arcade said:

Reveal hidden contents

In this version above there is a total loss of missiles, unless I leave the yellow car with just one color. 
There seems to be a way to reactivate the missiles according to the BB manual, but I'll see later if I can solve the deactivation of the missiles.

• Like 1

I think the greatest thing accomplished in these tests are the static picture of the big car at the bottom of the screen.

Take that, bring in the code for the rest of the Night Driver game minus their car image, and go to town there.

On 6/16/2024 at 3:45 AM, Living Room Arcade said:

But Mr. @alfredtdk, aren't we talking about making Night Driver Arcade? 

Didn't you mean this?

Reveal hidden contents

No trees, no houses, no oncoming cars, no honking sounds.

Nothing that isn't in the arcade version.  

image.jpeg.82ab308eb1605388b2c038eeaf79ad46.jpeg

N_D_A_Test2_no_blue_car.bas.bin 4 kB · 3 downloads

N_D_A_Test2_no_blue_car.bas 1.64 kB · 1 download

Mr. @alfredtdk, Now that you shown us the way, I would like to have a crack at this, myself.  I plan to start my own thread and work on my own version of Night Driver Arcade independently.  Do you I have your permission and your blessing to use this Batari Basic file that I edited, based on your early test, as the starting point of my work?  Or must I start from scratch?  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Living Room Arcade said:

Mr. @alfredtdk, Now that you shown us the way, I would like to have a crack at this, myself.  I plan to start my own thread and work on my own version of Night Driver Arcade independently.  Do you I have your permission and your blessing to use this Batari Basic file that I edited, based on your early test, as the starting point of my work?  Or must I start from scratch?  

If it is useful as a basis for building something, I have no objections, the source code I made available is free for you to modify, change whatever you think is necessary.
I'm happy that the concept is taking shape and moving towards something more concrete.
It would be even cooler if others also joined the project, perhaps one designing the graphics, the other the sound, programming and so on. Those who want to become beta testers before releasing the final binary also help.
Night Driver, in my opinion, would not have many difficulties in being ported back to the 2600 system.
Remembering that the original version is only 2kb, it is an excellent racing game for paddles, removing the flaws that were added that do not exist in the Arcade version.

Something that could be added, which does not exist in the Arcade version and which would in no way take away its originality, would be the creation of a very beautiful title screen, in my opinion.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, doctorclu said:

I think the greatest thing accomplished in these tests are the static picture of the big car at the bottom of the screen.

Take that, bring in the code for the rest of the Night Driver game minus their car image, and go to town there.

I agree with you. 
I think, not my opinion, that we could add a title screen to the game. This would not affect Arcade fidelity at all.
I also liked your suggestion in section 2600 hack of using a similar method that was used in the Zaxxon demo.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, alfredtdk said:

If it is useful as a basis for building something, I have no objections, the source code I made available is free for you to modify, change whatever you think is necessary.

Thank you, Mr. Alfredtdk!

54 minutes ago, alfredtdk said:

Something that could be added, which does not exist in the Arcade version and which would in no way take away its originality, would be the creation of a very beautiful title screen, in my opinion.

Definitely!  

Posted (edited)

Now a little history about the possible origins of Arcade Night Driver.

Curiosity.
Did you know that Arcade Night Driver is not exactly considered the first first-person driving game and that its inspiration may have come from a German game released on the market a little earlier?
Know the history of the German game Nurburgring 1.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nürburgring_1

https://allincolorforaquarter.blogspot.com/2012/08/reiner-forests-nurburgring-original_27.html

Captura de tela_2024-06-17_23-06-56.png

Edited by alfredtdk
  • Like 2

Interesting.  Was the original B&W I assume from the pic?   From what I've seen of very early arcade video games, it seems like most were.  I wasn't aware of this game myself and, growing up, always assumed Pole Position was the first arcade racer.