IGNORED

Tesla removes Atari games

Bummer, though I hardly ever play the games anymore even though I have a couple controllers stashed in my car.

In theory they're great for Supercharger stops, though with the widespread deployment of V3 Superchargers our stops have mostly become:

1. plug in
  2. walk in and take care of bio needs (restrooms, drinks, food)
  3. walk back to car
  4. unplug
  5. resume trip

Example would be when we travelled to Bandera, TX for the eclipse in April and charged at a new V3 Supercharger (250 kW) that'd opened up in November of 2023:

image.png.48fe3d0a7d59ee63e771b732150cdd

The stop was faster than getting gas as nobody had to waste time standing next to the car during the refueling process.

In prior trips to Bandera we'd charge in Flatonia, an older V2 Supercharger (150 kW) site from 2017.  We'd use the charging stop as a meal break even though the food options weren't the best.

We still have to use a V2 Supercharger in Victoria when we visit my sister who lives outside of Corpus Christi. After using the restrooms we tend to watch a ~10 minute Just For Laughs Gags clip on YouTube, such as this one, then resume the trip.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

All of the above.

…hmm… now it’s like only Diablo 4 and Elden Ring… on the gamescreen …?

…and kids will be screaming and crying in the backseat ‘Mom!! Dad!! Want naughty music back!! Naughty and evil music back!!’…?

Oh, What hell future parents driving Teslas now must endure!!

And how will these kids cope when they grow up…? 

Edited by Giles N

2 hours ago, Giles N said:

Was the license for ‘Night Driver’ too much for Tesla…?

No offense to Atari but I'm guessing they are on the cheaper end of game licenses.

It's probably just part of Elon's current cost reduction strategy, although I really question how much having some old games as an option was cutting into their bottom line.

7 hours ago, SpiceWare said:

The stop was faster than getting gas as nobody had to waste time standing next to the car during the refueling process.

how long do your stops usually take?  10 mins or less?  around 20 mins?  and how much charge are you getting in that time?

just wondering the way it compares to gasoline engines.  I've read stuff (although I have no idea where anymore) that if they can get a 3/4 charge in 10 mins that will really open up the electric market in a way that makes it attractive to a wider consumer base.

11 hours ago, D Train said:

how long do your stops usually take?  10 mins or less?  around 20 mins?  and how much charge are you getting in that time?

We travel around Texas the most, usually to Corpus Christi or San Antonio/Bandera, and the time to charge at a V2 Supercharger will be 15-20 minutes and a V3 Supercharger will be under 10. 

During longer trips we'll alternate between a 10-15 minute stop and a longer stop during which we'll have a meal break. One of us will usually have to go move the car before we finish eating as it'll hit 100% and there's per minute idle fees if you're not charging. Idle fees were added because people were dropping their car off at a Supercharger, then coming back hours later to pick it up which prevented others from charging.

image.thumb.png.b7dda5cd6ebcda48d4c6c65a13e936ca.png

Timelapse of a V3 Supercharger session:

• 10% 2:33
  • 20% 4:31
  • 30% 6:31
  • 40% 9:41
  • 50% 13:11
  • 60% 17:09
  • 70% 21:50
  • 80% 28:04

About 30 miles of range per 10%. A 15 minute stop will add enough range for a couple more hours of driving. It takes another 30 minutes to go from 80% to 100%.

11 hours ago, D Train said:

just wondering the way it compares to gasoline engines.  I've read stuff (although I have no idea where anymore) that if they can get a 3/4 charge in 10 mins that will really open up the electric market in a way that makes it attractive to a wider consumer base.

It's a paradigm shift - since charging slows down as the battery gets full it's usually a waste of time to get a full charge when traveling, instead charge just long enough to reach the next stop. Two 15 minute charging stops will give you more range than a single 30 minute charging stop.

For the eclipse the next stop was my aunt & uncle's place in Bandera, when we arrived we plugged into an outside 120 v outlet.  By the time we left the car was full.

I found this study from 2021 to be interesting Study: How Americans Take Road Trips in 2021

"People prefer to make pit stops for gas, stretching, food and bathroom every two hours"

As that's pretty close to what we do, a charging stop every couple of hours.  I have noticed that people under estimate how long their stops are - they think about how long it takes to fill up the car, but not the rest of the stop.  I never thought about it before I documented trips in my Tesla, such as this from 2019:

The 22 minutes is how long it took us to walk from the back lot to the travel center (with 4 restaurants), visit the restroom, grab some drinks and snacks, and walk back to the car.

That was a V2 site, hardly any V3s at that time, so we only gained 126 miles during that stop. "back lot" sounds far, it wasn't - Superchargers a circled in red:

image.thumb.png.ffd06ccf2f7b205f52aff6864a4a0140.png

• Like 2