IGNORED

Atari 7800 Commando, PAL version, not working properly on Atari 2600+ running original 1.0 firmware

Lost Johnny

Hello,

Can someone help me with the above please?

The game boots up to the title screen and the music plays, but when you try and start the game, the cart just re-boots to the title screen again. You see the first level start screen briefly for about half a second before it re-boots. There are some yellow pixels/blocks on the bottom of the screen under the level and player indicators which appear to move in time with the music. I don't think they should be there. My other 7800 carts, Galaga (NTSC), Ms. Pac Man (NTSC) and Impossible Mission (PAL) play fine. Do I need to do an update?

Thanks in advance.

Hello all,

Now running the latest experimental firmware and dumper as advised, it's all good! Commando running great and I can finally play Mountain King, definitely a RTFM game. Might have to pull the trigger on Tunnel Runner soon as I've been considering that one for a while. An added bonus is that I can now see my bullets on the Mothership screen of Phoenix (PAL), which improves the gameplay somewhat! Will have to check if the colours have improved on my PAL QBert next, some of the screens on that were unplayable with the original firmware.

Thanks again everyone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lost Johnny said:

Hello all,

Now running the latest experimental firmware and dumper as advised, it's all good! Commando running great and I can finally play Mountain King, definitely a RTFM game. Might have to pull the trigger on Tunnel Runner soon as I've been considering that one for a while. An added bonus is that I can now see my bullets on the Mothership screen of Phoenix (PAL), which improves the gameplay somewhat! Will have to check if the colours have improved on my PAL QBert next, some of the screens on that were unplayable with the original firmware.

Thanks again everyone.

Good to hear🤙

With the z26 PAL palette for 2600, Qbert should be fine, can't remember something odd on latest release.

The original palette caused trouble in the black and grey levels of PAL HERO too, so I can imagine what happened to Qbert levels with similar colors.

The PAL colors for 7800 games improved too.