IGNORED

Vectrex HSC - Jul 2024 - Vector Pilot

Posted (edited)

HSCBigLogoForum.png.702973508970082b32bf70fae01b0d68.png

Round 5 - July 2024 - Vector Pilot

This is the current round being played in the Vectrex High Score Club. Join in and submit your scores!

Closing date is 31 Jul 23:59 PST

Current scores & ranking:

1st playvectrex 844,800

2nd VF2048 383,400

3rd TheCurlyBard 328,500

4th Chainsaw 196,800

5th jgkspsx 156,200

6th Mikey50 114,100

7th hcmffm 91,800

8th Lord Innit 66,700

69974a20-abf4-11ed-b85a-02420a000135.web

Vector Pilot is another fantastic arcade port from Kristof Tuts (Tutstronix). It's Kristof's second game. Travel through time blowing things up!

Availability

Released way back in 2011 this is still readily available from the author Kristof Tuts of Tutstronix - http://www.kristofsvectrexgames.be/

Settings

Mode 2 - normal mode

Default Ship

4 starting lives

Edited by hcmffm
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well it's a stark contrast to Vector Patrol, this is pure reaction based. I think I prefer the button controls myself, seem to have more precise rotation.

44500 to start - the boot screen isnt showing my score correctly, sometimes its similar to my top score but not always. Anybody else seeing this? I've got some odd timing issues on the vector drawn text as well, but I think thats my machine.

20240701_230546.thumb.jpg.3465806dfa8bcf0f3980b15ff4fef06d.jpg

Edited by TheCurlyBard
  • Like 4

Wow, Vector Pilot is amazing!

I think I prefer to play with the buttons.  It feels good and very responsive.  Vectorcade with left-right joystick is good as well.  Quadrature mode not so good :(

As far as the reset boot screen score goes, it looks like it's just missing the trailing zero of the high score.  That seems to indicate to me that the score will go to 10M+, but who knows.  I saw a 900k point score on youtube... so we've got some work to do! :D

image.thumb.jpeg.f3326e26ed9948d47ce4f0b1d055e878.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheCurlyBard said:

Oh that makes sense about the missing digit, I think that high score is part of the firmware.

What's to stop me leaving the mothership alone and shooting the enemies that keep spawning?

Yeah, that high score is 7 bytes of system RAM... so by removing a trailing zero, it would imply it can go up to 10M+ I'm guessing.

I tried it... I think the end boss will effectively stop you.  They seem to shoot a lot, and constantly appear on screen if you try flying around getting the other enemies.  So I think it's just riskier to do that.

I want to know what the UNLEASH ME!  /   I'M HARD TO FIND!!!  stuff is all about.   I unlocked the biplane, but not sure if that one is another one you can unlock and if it's helpful in any way.

• Like 1

Oh yeah I'd forgotten about that attract screen thing.. weird.

I also tried just hanging around the boss screen, I don't think you get the formation bonuses anymore, and it is very risky even on lv 1.

I've no idea if the planes effect gameplay, so I stated the default just in case

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TheCurlyBard said:

I've no idea if the planes effect gameplay, so I stated the default just in case

Ah, I see.  I tried the biplane and it seems the same to me, so I switched back to the jet because I'm just used to it now.

This game is definitely one that requires very fast reflexes which is why the button control seems best... but you also have to be able to react fast and move in the correct direction, which I'm not that great at. 

Kind of feels like Asteroids, needing to keep a safe distance, and stick and move fast... but definitely faster gameplay than Mine Storm required.

• Like 3

Yeah it's all about reactions, and keeping distance - I keep getting greedy going for the parachutes and formations when staying alive is more valuable.

95,600 - there's nothing like feeling of a new pb is there

20240704_221323.thumb.jpg.4d023a9fee44f3275f13e0ed154b7f3a.jpg

• Like 3

On 7/1/2024 at 6:30 PM, TheCurlyBard said:

Well it's a stark contrast to Vector Patrol, this is pure reaction based. I think I prefer the button controls myself, seem to have more precise rotation.

I don't agree; as with Vector Patrol, there is a lot of situational awareness and strategy involved in getting the best scores.

4 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

I don't agree; as with Vector Patrol, there is a lot of situational awareness and strategy involved in getting the best scores.

Oh definitely yes, now that I play it more I can see the similarities, like constantly watching for bombs with different trajectories.

Well done on the score :)

• Thanks 1

On 7/4/2024 at 4:30 PM, TheCurlyBard said:

Yeah it's all about reactions, and keeping distance - I keep getting greedy going for the parachutes and formations when staying alive is more valuable.

Was looking up strategies for Time Pilot and found there's such a thing as "Parachute Hunting".  Tried it and OMG it felt insanely over powered.  But then tried again later and kept dying.  Also tried to avoid the end blimp as long as I could and ended up doing that for some time as well.  So I think it's definitely possible to do this on level 1... but not sure about other levels where the enemies are much more aggressive.  IMO this should be allowed, because it's not unlike how people marathon Asteroids.  I think we'll see some pretty high scores this month.

55 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

That's true, and also a lot of Vector Patrol is also memorizing what's coming and when to jump... instead of pure reaction to everything around you.  There is some of that, but maybe half and half?

• Like 1

Well I'm def going to Google parachute hunting. The first one seems to always be at the same time as the first formation. I think there's always one to go with each formation, but sometimes to the left or right where I miss them.

A bit of parachute hunting, extended 1st level, then trying to complete the levels fast.
This type of playing is good practice as well for avoiding the enemy fire... so it's useful for all levels really :D 
167,100 s/n 999
playvectrex-vectorpilot-167100(2).thumb.jpg.f0cf49c0c4580d81833d76a8a7472121.jpgplayvectrex-vectorpilot-167100(1).thumb.jpg.80dbc9ce297aabe7f7f39e29f0cb6f26.jpg

• Like 1

My strategy is to fly down left until things get hairy, then go down right. I get parachutes without firing until they max out and then try to only shoot formations. It's pretty easy to do for the first two levels. The helicopters and missiles really change up the dynamic and I need to practice up again.

I think flying up-left or up-right is better on the first stage because the bombs fall down and track you more easily when you fly down, at least that's been my experience.
I need to try this, but it seems like from watching other Time Pilot videos, flying directly behind the end boss won't get you shot by the end boss?  They seem to only fire back and up/down at an angle.

I've been playing the last two days a lot and sometimes I crap out early, some times I get a lot of lives/chances and lose them over silly stuff.

I've been able to get another 35k after the blimp comes out before dying.. it's not super easy to stay alive after the blimp comes out though but just as a test you can do it.  Formations do form, but no more parachutes.

One game I got to 210k without dying (9 lives) and then started losing them all super easy and ended with like 240k.  That's just how it goes I guess.

This one felt good though... got through all levels and beat the first stage for a second time (stage 7), up to stage 8.  Just barely got over 400k.

playvectrex-vectorpilot-400900(2).thumb.jpg.f418230c5421cfdc358e079ad398309c.jpg
playvectrex-vectorpilot-400900(1).thumb.jpg.dbdf30410a713debf7d7be2492a9f265.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TheCurlyBard said:

Oh yeah parachute hunting is op

I tend to default to up to avoid the bombs, but left or right when a formation appears as you seem to have a better chance of finding them

20240707_221537.thumb.jpg.9ddb0b628468cd995ce23242f5c9b313.jpg

Congrats!  I was trying to do a similar thing and max out stage 1... but I think the highest I got there was 175k.
I like to fly at a diagonal up, and the parachutes seem to pop out just after the formation appears when you hear the sound. 

Basically when you fly around them, you keep going at a diagonal and the parachute pops out right about there.

If you miss a parachute and they are kind of far down at the bottom of the screen when you find them, just go straight up and they will wrap around to the top of the screen... but they only do this one time.  If this happens, the next parachute will be closer behind them than usual.

If nothing else, it's a good way to get some points and extra lives to give you a fighting chance to make it through all of the stages, wrap back around at stage 7, and do it again... but way harder because everything is trying to kill you now.

And don't forget about the pause screen if you hands/arms get tired :D  It's there for a reason!

BTW: That 900k+ score on youtube was on hard mode!

@VF2048 nice one!

@playvectrex I'd thought I'd seen one respawn at the top after it drifted of the bottom, there's definitely patterns in where things appear as well

Getting the hang of not shooting until the level 1 boss now, been practicing a bit on level 2 also, but not in the same game yet as its a bit of a marathon20240708_223515.thumb.jpg.0260cdaf7b28c04b0ef24893e181d0b3.jpg 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, TheCurlyBard said:

Getting the hang of not shooting until the level 1 boss now

Nice improvement!  I thought the boss only comes out when the meter runs down, which is due to shooting a certain number of planes. 

Tonight I made it to 70k without shooting anything, and left stage 1 with 198k.

Made it to stage 10 though for the first time.
I think I've only got like one of these types of games in me per night... I'm actually wore out from the intensity and repeatedly pressing the fire button and joystick movements 😩

playvectrex-vectorpilot-456300(1).thumb.jpg.565a981109b8555c35cfefa766dd4cef.jpgplayvectrex-vectorpilot-456300(2).thumb.jpg.793a0cef36fcc1fe01e858e569bbd570.jpg

I was looking at vectrex.co.uk/hiscore.htm and see the score and stage number can go way up!

Frank Sapone - Easy - 1,007,300
image.jpeg.89b6d119898775b48de3723ff17d99a1.jpeg

Thomas Sontowski - Normal - 404,500

image.jpeg.cc714aa47fcb79e202c777a701591a02.jpeg

Centaura - Hard - 935,500

image.jpeg.4ff666a97f68c8c36f5da0e22c4c583d.jpeg

Edited by playvectrex
Added some other highscores
  • Like 1