IGNORED

NEWBIE - Atari 400 Power Adapter CO 14319

Hello:

NEWBIE here. I recently received an Atari 400 with the original power adapter (CO 14319). The system was listed as "no power". I bought it to learn how to repair an Atari 8 bit computer since I have been repairing Commodore computers and peripherals. The power adapter is dead (tested with multimeter).

I've been reading online that these power adapters have an internal fuse that can be replaced. Or perhaps that refers to a different model for the 400. I don't know. Anyhow, can this model be opened (and if yes, how?), and can the fuse be easily replaced (soldering is acceptable)?

It looks like where the foot pads were (I removed them), the factory poured some melted plastic or rubber compound to seal up access to the screws or rivets.

If this model can't be repaired, is the one being sold on 8-bit Classics https://www.8bitclassics.com/product/atari-400-800-1050-ac-adapter/ safe to use? I've read one post about someone having some power level concerns about this one.

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you!

Joe

13 hours ago, CAJoeG said:

Hello:

NEWBIE here. I recently received an Atari 400 with the original power adapter (CO 14319). The system was listed as "no power". I bought it to learn how to repair an Atari 8 bit computer since I have been repairing Commodore computers and peripherals. The power adapter is dead (tested with multimeter).

I've been reading online that these power adapters have an internal fuse that can be replaced. Or perhaps that refers to a different model for the 400. I don't know. Anyhow, can this model be opened (and if yes, how?), and can the fuse be easily replaced (soldering is acceptable)?

It looks like where the foot pads were (I removed them), the factory poured some melted plastic or rubber compound to seal up access to the screws or rivets.

If this model can't be repaired, is the one being sold on 8-bit Classics https://www.8bitclassics.com/product/atari-400-800-1050-ac-adapter/ safe to use? I've read one post about someone having some power level concerns about this one.

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you!

Joe

Remember that the CO14319 power supply you have tested is 9 Volts AC 15.3 VA and the only components inside the casing are a mains voltage transformer and a fuse.

If there is definitely no AC power on the output, which should read 10-12V AC off load, then the internal 2A fuse has blown and can be replaced.

As there are no visible screws it looks like a running a knife around the seam might work to open it?

I think I will just order a new power adapter when I return from my vacation in a few weeks.

To answer one outstanding question, there are no visible screws. I also tried a knife around the edge. I think it has been sealed with rivets, and then those holes sealed as well. It's not worth it to me to fight with this when a new power adapter option is available.

Thank you!

Joe

I'd send the supply to someone who will repair it. It is dead simple to bring them back to life, with a little patience they are all able to be opened in a way no one would know it was cracked open unless looking close at them. The USA supplies are not riveted, they used screws under the feet and glue. There are a number of threads showing how to tell which is which as well as how to open them.

8 hours ago, CAJoeG said:

I think it has been sealed with rivets, and then those holes sealed as well. It's not worth it to me to fight with this when a new power adapter option is available.

Had to repair mine many moons ago, just carefully drilled out the rivets, repaired the cable and riveted it back, quite a simple job,

with yours, it's probably just the fuse. 

7 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

Had to repair mine many moons ago, just carefully drilled out the rivets, repaired the cable and riveted it back, quite a simple job,

with yours, it's probably just the fuse. 

The UK Atari 9V transformer cases are easy to drill open and repair as the rivets are visible. I used nuts and bolts to hold mine back together.

I think the USA transformer cases are stuck together and need more persuasion and perseverance to open from what I have read.

The 8Bit Classics transformer looks rather under-rated at 9V 13.5VA, but is close enough in rating for an Atari 400.

It should not be considered for an Atari 1050 in my opinion however, as they are nominally rated for 9V 27VA.

Sorry, everyone. I already cut the the cables from the power adapter and put it in e-waste. I kept the cables.

I see that Console 5 has a power adapter as well.

Again, this will have to wait until I get back from my vacation that starts next week.

Thank you!

Joe