IGNORED

Did Atari 2600 games work on any of the Atari computers?

krambigmac

Nope. Completely different cartridge designs and system architecture. There is no compatibility between the two systems, nor was there any kind of 2600 adapter to let an 8-bit Atari computer play 2600 games. As I recall, the only systems capable of playing 2600 games were:

- Atari 5200 (with 2600 adapter module)

- Atari 7800 (compatible with almost all 2600 carts -- I think a very few games had compatibility issues)

- Colecovision and Coleco ADAM (with Expansion Module #1)

- Intellivision (With System Changer module)

I'm not including clones (like the Coleco Gemini), rebrands (like the Sears Telegames) or pirates here, as those are 2600 consoles in their own rights, and emulation doesn't count.

Oh ok thanks.  Well, I still want an Atari computer.  I have all those 65XE games that I can't play and I want a better computer.  I guess it's between 800 and 1200XL.  I guess 800 is the best bet so if anyone will be in Boston tomorrow, bring a mint 800 for me :)

I'd suggest the 800XL. The 1200XL has some compatibility issues. Plus, it's a behemoth, practically 5200 calibre in magnitude. The 800XL is also built like a tank. :-)

Sweet, I'll go with the 800.  I love giant consoles(other than the XBox) just because it makes it look important and cool.  It does NOT, however, compensate for anything.  Not at all.
Big in and of itself doesn't mean anything aside from "I have 2 feet less shelf space because of all the air in this box."

But big and good-looking, that says something.

That's why the 5200 is the Big Sexy and the XBox is "OMG ITZ HUGE LOLOLOLO!11111111"