IGNORED

I disassembled Treasure Hunt (Hanimex)

Posted (edited)

I played this on Mame.
Everyone talks about playing Coleco Games on the Hanimex with an adapter so I decided to clean up the code and recompile it for the Colecovision (stock) No adapters or extra ram needed.

I am on the final stages, this game will be 100% free with source when it is completed.

edit:

I read somewhere the Hanimex has 2k of ram but this game only uses the 1k starting at $7000

I am also in the process of disassembling the Pencil 2 BIOS because I have yet to find any documentation out there.
If anyone has a BIOS description or documentation of any kind please send it to me.

So far the Pencil BIOS has similar routines the same as Coleco and MSX have similar routines.
Using those things as a reference it is not hard to backtrack what goes where.

I also found that the NMI, at least in this game, is identical to how they handled it in the Colecovision.
So no worries.

Edited by Captain Cozmos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Doing a small dive into this, there are a few differences that I will bring up.

The Pencil 2 BIOS does a memory check for expansion RAM at $4000 so I may end up rewriting a few things to get the game to work properly.
I did get it to run in Gear Coleco up till the point it called to this sub routine.

I counted 28 calls to the BIOS I have to rewrite or use a Coleco equivalent which seems to be setup only and not running the game.

The ROM is only 12k so there is plenty of room for adjustment.

After completely disassembling the BIOS, it does resemble the OS7 in a lot of ways such as how it sets up mode 1 and loads the ASCII graphics.
The Music Table is almost identical.  It sets aside Ram much the same way then parses a the sound data using the same ports.

As far as Treasure Hunt goes.

It uses Mode 0 so it sets up a single color for every 8 patterns in the pattern generator table..

It switches between two pattern name tables at $1400 and $1800 in order to achieve the scrolling effect.  All other VRAM addresses are the same as any other device that uses this VDP.
It initializes the controllers just like the Colecovision with $9B$9B for the basic setup.  I bet with a bit of code the Pencil 2 could use the SA and Roller Controllers.

The Sound, VDP and Controller ports seem to be the same as the Colecovision.

It's BIOS has a lot of extras like predefined graphics for a few combined images like a Block, Line, Ball, Wedges....Checks for expansion memory and IO devices.

It is definitely a BIOS for it's day.

That is all for the moment.

O3 Cozmos

Edited by Captain Cozmos
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Pixelboy said:

Wasn't Treasure Hunt released on ColecoVision by CollectorVision relatively recently?

Well, no I did not know that Collectorvision released this.

Being that I disassembled the Hanimex version for the Pencil 2 are you trying to say that they own Hanimex now?

As a matter of fact I've disassembled 99% of Collectorvision games so I do not know how I missed this one.

Edited by Captain Cozmos
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1