IGNORED

TI professional computer (not ti-99) for now

After a couple of days of trying to get files off the internet and pushed to a Gotek, I found out that by changing the extension of the image file that I downloaded from the internet archives from "IMG" to "DSK" allowed me to finally get a directory listing from the computer.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Some programs only run from floppy at boot up..

I'm trying to figure out how to boot from floppy instead of hard drive. I'll try looking at one of the tip(tipro) books today though.

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Diagnostics image file 

I had to change the .IMG to .DSK in order for it to show up on my Gotek while also giving the file a "DSKA001" label name, but first just try it with the extension change as it might just be fine.

disk01.img

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, GDMike said:

I'm using edlin to modify my autoexec.bat file.

Is there an Editor?

But edlin is the best editor! Uh, if you are on 300 baud dialup that is. 

I used PeachText a little bit but good luck finding it.  (Peachtree Software.)

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, FarmerPotato said:

But edlin is the best editor! Uh, if you are on 300 baud dialup that is. 

I used PeachText a little bit but good luck finding it.  (Peachtree Software.)

There was a forum that I found and the guy said he had lots and lots of software in  his reply to someone else, and he just told the person requesting to just send him his email address..

So I followed suit and sent him my email address but I haven't heard a word

• Like 1

I acquired two TI pros desktop versions. 

Complete with keyboards and monitors, only one has a clock card but otherwise both have the same cards memory ram, serial card, color card, wd controller,  10 MB HD and floppy drive.

One of the monitors powers up but doesn't get video(color card is ok).

Both hd work.

One power supply popped it's stinky caps.

I've been able to get one machine working using a Gotek because one floppy drive barely spins and the other must need a good cleaning, I hope as I'll be looking at reviving that floppy drive today.

IMG_20240707_002522519.thumb.jpg.33d5d4c304217ef74429c2f9e6e15a9a.jpg

• Like 3

Success!!

Original FD cleaned up well and has passed all tests except for the longevity test. 

Machine is ready for an All day run...

I was shocked to see that FD working again, after a complete alcohol bath. Of course I had to disconnect every ribbon cable, wire cable,  socketed chip, jumpers, and give it a air compressor hit... It's either going to live or die 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Just found something called "easy writer II" with a help file.

Easy Writer was one of the first word processors for the IBM PC. It was originally written by John Draper AKA "Captain Crunch", with the PC version published by IBM. EasyWriter 1.x was written in the FORTH programming language and, as the story goes, it was ported to the IBM PC in a matter of days. There was also an Apple II version.

EasyWriter is one of a suite of business applications produced by Information Unlimited Software, Inc. Others include: EasyPlanner, EasySpeller, EasyFiler, IUS General Ledger, IUS Accounts Receivable, IUS and Accounts Payable.

IMG_20240708_123246207_HDR.jpg

EasyWriter II Manual (1983).7z EasyWriter II [TI Professional Computer r2.0] (1983) (5.25-320k).7z

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, GDMike said:

Just found something called "easy writer II" with a help file.

Easy Writer was one of the first word processors for the IBM PC. It was originally written by John Draper AKA "Captain Crunch", with the PC version published by IBM. EasyWriter 1.x was written in the FORTH programming language and, as the story goes, it was ported to the IBM PC in a matter of days. There was also an Apple II version.

EasyWriter is one of a suite of business applications produced by Information Unlimited Software, Inc. Others include: EasyPlanner, EasySpeller, EasyFiler, IUS General Ledger, IUS Accounts Receivable, IUS and Accounts Payable.

IMG_20240708_123246207_HDR.jpg

EasyWriter II Manual (1983).7z 118.75 MB · 1 download EasyWriter II [TI Professional Computer r2.0] (1983) (5.25-320k).7z 1.39 MB · 1 download

Pretty cool.  I was just looking around and it looks like John wrote his own Forth system (of course he did) called Cap'n Software Forth. 

You could buy a copy of it in 1981 for ONLY $175 US dollars.  :)  ( I think that's about $1000 in today's money) 

image.png.f2298b36c786b4cafe25dafac875088a.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wow, I've never actually seen a TI Professional before.  The only reference I ever saw to one was on the Infocom sales filer that listed some games being available for it.  I wonder how rare those are?

post-2851-128466161569.thumb.jpg.6bcc0a5a653350b2d11961bd38c4f4f8.jpg

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Wow, I've never actually seen a TI Professional before.  The only reference I ever saw to one was on the Infocom sales filer that listed some games being available for it.  I wonder how rare those are?

post-2851-128466161569.thumb.jpg.6bcc0a5a653350b2d11961bd38c4f4f8.jpg

I'm not too sure, but I'm trying to dig into software that I'm finding here and there and testing out.

some run and some don't run. But as I find things that run I post them.

Edited by GDMike
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

BASIC

I was able to write a simple program save it load it and run it I have to get the manual to figure out the rest of it but it did work.

I'll have to create the Gotek file to upload here.

IMG_20240709_090156873_HDR.jpg

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

The hurricane skirted past my house yesterday evening The lights blinked twice and knocked out my black flash floppy drive.

It still had display and everything but I thought maybe the USB thumb drive got corrupted so I rebuilt it..

And the computer would format a listed DSK file, but it wouldn't confirm so it would always error.

I put my second Gotek drive on, it's a white older one, and I used the same thumb drive and made no changes to it. And everything was back to normal. 

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Can anyone tell me how or if this lotus123 will work?

In the system directory I encountered dozens of image files but they all have the same 6 or so files.

1 being lotus.com

And another is lotus123.exe

I was able to put them on the hard drive and it ran but it errored out.

Help file on the Go tek would not copy to the hard drive, but the other files did.

Lotus 1-2-3 2.00 (5.25-360k) (Kryoflux).7z

Edited by GDMike
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

I found an old 8086 flavor of forth.

The help file says enter your ID and he demonstrated it by using his initials in the date but I get errors every time I put 10 characters in and it locks up. 

When I use the forth word "view" it pulls up a screen that I can edit or list from there..

I'm sure there's some documentation out there but anyway it's interesting.

MORE here --> https://github.com/uho/F83

IMG_20240711_193731970_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240711_193759324_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240711_193808568_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240711_193817649_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240711_194433163_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240711_194440507_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240711_194445259_HDR.jpg

disk01.img disk02.img

1003_InsideF83.pdf

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 3

Cool.  That is F83 by Laxen and Perry. It is a very fast direct-threaded system with a 4 way hashed dictionary so compiling times are very fast as well. 

The late Dr. C. H. Ting took the time to look under the hood in his book Inside F83.  Here is the pdf link. 

https://www.forth.org/OffeteStore/1003_InsideF83.pdf

• Like 3

BTW    VIEW is the command that will find the source code BLOCK for whatever word you give it.

VIEW !

VIEW +

VIEW VIEW 

The block number of the source code is compiled into the header of each word. Pretty neat eh?

• Like 2