IGNORED

TI professional computer (not ti-99) for now

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TheBF said:

Cool.  That is F83 by Laxen and Perry. It is a very fast direct-threaded system with a 4 way hashed dictionary so compiling times are very fast as well. 

The late Dr. C. H. Ting took the time to look under the hood in his book Inside F83.  Here is the pdf link. 

https://www.forth.org/OffeteStore/1003_InsideF83.pdf

Yes, I included that document. I'm out of paper I think I'm out of ink... But I need to get a printout..

But yes I was thrilled that the thing worked at all..

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 1

On 7/8/2024 at 6:56 AM, GDMike said:

I acquired two TI pros desktop versions. 

Complete with keyboards and monitors, only one has a clock card but otherwise both have the same cards memory ram, serial card, color card, wd controller,  10 MB HD and floppy drive.

One of the monitors powers up but doesn't get video(color card is ok).

Both hd work.

One power supply popped it's stinky caps.

I've been able to get one machine working using a Gotek because one floppy drive barely spins and the other must need a good cleaning, I hope as I'll be looking at reviving that floppy drive today.

IMG_20240707_002522519.thumb.jpg.33d5d4c304217ef74429c2f9e6e15a9a.jpg

@GDMike Could you please take pictures of the color graphics cards?   What I'm most curious about is whether they are the ones based on the TMS34061.  

Thanks!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, FarmerPotato said:

@GDMike Could you please take pictures of the color graphics cards?   What I'm most curious about is whether they are the ones based on the TMS34061.  

Thanks!

Just got a hard stop on my hd. Wformat says cluster fk .. chkdsk won't help... I've got to find something for the mini scribe hd...dang it

• Sad 1

This card is slightly different from my other card..

My other card has two full length boards connected together facing each other.. I'd have to take the connectors apart to separate them. 

But in the meantime here's the other card they both work.

IMG_20240712_124917265_HDR.jpg

Varta, the bane of retrocomputing enthusiasts everywhere.

There appears to be corrosion caused by the Varta battery on the card. In the photo, you can see it on the chip to the left of the battery and on the connector to the right.

I would suggest you remove the battery and clean up the leakage. The corrosion appears blue in your photo.

I think you can use white vinegar to neutralize the leakage and then use isopropyl alcohol to clean up the vinegar.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, chue said:

Varta, the bane of retrocomputing enthusiasts everywhere.

There appears to be corrosion caused by the Varta battery on the card. In the photo, you can see it on the chip to the left of the battery and on the connector to the right.

I would suggest you remove the battery and clean up the leakage. The corrosion appears blue in your photo.

I think you can use white vinegar to neutralize the leakage and then use isopropyl alcohol to clean up the vinegar.

I already noted this early in the postings from last week...

Yeah battery needs changing too 

Thank you for noticing, yay

Oh oops on my part... A couple people  asked me for photos and I've sent them out and I thought I had actually put it in this forum ,sorry about that.

yeah we knew the card needs cleaning and the battery changing but I should have posted it in this forum but I guess I wasn't going to do that until I was ready to clean up the card..

Edited by GDMike

Posted (edited)

From this site 

https://www.minitool.com/lib/low-level-format.html

Can't read from  hard drive... Mini scribe 3212

WFORMAT receives error...fat1,2 corrupted

And chkdsk can't access the drive 

I followed the debug for trying to get a low level format and it just came back with error...

So I'm not sure if these are the right values or not..

Otherwise if I can't fix the errors that say fat one and fat two are corrupted then I'll have to look for another drive I guessIMG_20240712_131341667_HDR.thumb.jpg.6ca60614c3b9434cec9ece16c4a26a36.jpg

Edited by GDMike
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, GDMike said:

I'm still trying to figure out how to change block files there's no word "use"..

There's a block file called "sample"

See page 16 of Ting's manual. The word is OPEN <filename>

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, TheBF said:

Yeah I saw open in the words list.. but of course I thought that meant for something else..

Well for now I'll have to do floppy a and floppy b drives due to my hard drive going out.

Thank you for that information...

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 1

On 7/7/2024 at 4:22 PM, GDMike said:

I'm using edlin to modify my autoexec.bat file.

Is there an Editor?

Is this a DOS machine? I used to use the IBM tiny Editor for DOS and OS/2 in the early nineties .. perhaps you get this one to the machine? It is just 9988 bytes small and really handy.

https://ecsoft2.org/system/files/repository/tinyed220b.zip

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SteveB said:

Is this a DOS machine? I used to use the IBM tiny Editor for DOS and OS/2 in the early nineties .. perhaps you get this one to the machine? It is just 9988 bytes small and really handy.

https://ecsoft2.org/system/files/repository/tinyed220b.zip

Ty, I still have two to test as I was in the process of testing some software yesterday before the hard drive died on me... Today I had to configure a 2 drive floppy system..lol

I'll check it out..

I know, bitd, I used to use q edit...

• Like 1

On 7/12/2024 at 3:35 PM, TheBF said:

Yes, but any editing results in the prompt, "input id number" and anything I enter results in error...

• Confused 1

I need to get into the documentation.. I just haven't had time..

I got to start cleaning up the boards that are in the computer, and cleaning up the power supply etc..

I should be able to be done with that by tomorrow. 

And then I'll start reading some docs on the f 83

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GDMike said:

I need to get into the documentation.. I just haven't had time..

I got to start cleaning up the boards that are in the computer, and cleaning up the power supply etc..

I should be able to be done with that by tomorrow. 

And then I'll start reading some docs on the f 83

Like all Forth systems and BASIC dialects it will have its own words for some things, but TurboForth training has you well prepared for the Forth 83 standard words. 

I don't remember what the editor was like, but you will have 80 columns right off the bat! :) 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

On 7/12/2024 at 12:21 PM, FarmerPotato said:

Thanks!

Sorry but I don't know why my phone does this and put the last person that I replied to in the post..

Anyway pictures of the video card I took  apart today.

IMG_20240714_192312354_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240714_192338787_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240714_192621381_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240714_192627217_HDR.jpg

Edited by GDMike
Lousy pic
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Now this double deck card says rampack on a time spectrum card also is populated with RAM on the mainboard and on the upper level board.

so I assume by looking at the ports on it it looks like it's a video card and it looks like it's a serial port and it looks like it's a RAM expansion.

Am I correct?

this is one that the battery needs to be replaced and cleaned up.

If my math is right and what they're saying on the card edge is true then the card is a 512K card and I guess the other expansion card is 128K or something, Plus there's another row of RAM on the motherboard.

IMG_20240714_193934199_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240714_193926284_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240714_193911248_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240714_193906855_HDR.jpg

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 1