IGNORED

Help with Colecovision component near controller port

rednakes1

Posted (edited)

Anyone know where I can get a replacement for the part labeled U25 or U26 on the main board, next to the controller ports (I’m in Canada)?  It seems to be affecting any controllers in Port 1 - they are moving in wrong directions for certain movements.  Then I saw that this component was cracked.  I think I accidentally damaged it while working on another part of the board earlier today.

It’s labeled “RM 7 - 223 M”.  

IMG_1689.thumb.jpeg.300e76ddcd1b8365e3540f8b6f9f13a9.jpeg

Edited by rednakes1

10 hours ago, rednakes1 said:

Anyone know where I can get a replacement for the part labeled U25 or U26 on the main board, next to the controller ports (I’m in Canada)?  It seems to be affecting any controllers in Port 1 - they are moving in wrong directions for certain movements.  Then I saw that this component was cracked.  I think I accidentally damaged it while working on another part of the board earlier today.

It’s labeled “RM 7 - 223 M”.  

IMG_1689.thumb.jpeg.300e76ddcd1b8365e3540f8b6f9f13a9.jpeg

That is a resistor network pack. Pretty common of the era on some consoles and especially on arcade main boards. Not sure since I don't have it in my hand, but I think this should do the job as a replacement for you.

https://www.jameco.com/z/4310R-101-223LF-Bourns-Resistor-Network-Array-Bussed-22K-Ohm-2-200mW-per-Element-SIP-10_857291.html?srsltid=AfmBOor0-QqdaO1w5yQ-JpENRpo4h9ajs-3DCLLcUBliX1Opf0gluwGxfxo

It is a 22k resistor pack array according the service manual parts list and that part above I think should fit.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

That is a resistor network pack. Pretty common of the era on some consoles and especially on arcade main boards. Not sure since I don't have it in my hand, but I think this should do the job as a replacement for you.

https://www.jameco.com/z/4310R-101-223LF-Bourns-Resistor-Network-Array-Bussed-22K-Ohm-2-200mW-per-Element-SIP-10_857291.html?srsltid=AfmBOor0-QqdaO1w5yQ-JpENRpo4h9ajs-3DCLLcUBliX1Opf0gluwGxfxo

It is a 22k resistor pack array according the service manual parts list and that part above I think should fit.

BTW, I tried to order from Jameco but the shipping to Canada is crazy, over $30.  There are other options such as the one on Digikey Canada but the exact same part number “4310R-101-223LF” has 9 pins instead of 8 which the Jameco one has.   I just noticed this after ordering..  ugh.

The eColeco site has it as “Resistor Bank 7-233” but doesn’t ship to Canada.  http://coleco.freeservers.com/hobby.htm

EDIT: I wonder if the below is more suitable, it consists of 7 resistors just like the Colecovision schematics show, and it has 8 pins.  The Jameco above has 9 resistors.

4608X-101-223LF

22k Ohm ±2% 200mW Power Per Element Bussed 7 Resistor Network/Array ±100ppm/°C 8-SIP

https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/bourns-inc./4608X-101-223LF/1089078?utm_adgroup=General&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PMax Shopping_Product_Zombie SKUs&utm_term=&productid=1089078&utm_content=General&utm_id=go_cmp-17855401585_adg-_ad-__dev-c_ext-_prd-1089078_sig-Cj0KCQjw-ai0BhDPARIsAB6hmP4q_nnd56JeAV_s72QomAETfhBaY_PsLRlUBMp4nwifwnmdvwUOWp8aAuhjEALw_wcB&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAADrbLlhEcXjT9plHF5ifUxEy7VMJ7&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-ai0BhDPARIsAB6hmP4q_nnd56JeAV_s72QomAETfhBaY_PsLRlUBMp4nwifwnmdvwUOWp8aAuhjEALw_wcB

Edited by rednakes1

@rednakes1 yes that should do just fine. I didn't notice how many resistors were in that array but it looks like it has 10pins on it too so too large to fit anyway and I apologize I didn't catch that earlier. The Jameco was the first search that came up from a site I knew and their picture looked correct, but the stat details do not match the pic in that case!

So yes, go with that one from Digi and let us know. I don't normally order from Digi as they tend to be more expensive for me for the smaller orders of parts I tend to need as compared to Jameco and Mouser.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

@rednakes1 yes that should do just fine. I didn't notice how many resistors were in that array but it looks like it has 10pins on it too so too large to fit anyway and I apologize I didn't catch that earlier. The Jameco was the first search that came up from a site I knew and their picture looked correct, but the stat details do not match the pic in that case!

So yes, go with that one from Digi and let us know. I don't normally order from Digi as they tend to be more expensive for me for the smaller orders of parts I tend to need as compared to Jameco and Mouser.

No worries.  Yeah I got confused why their description about the number of pins did not match the picture!

I’ve ordered this Digikey 4608X-101-223LF (8 pins, 7 resistors, 22kohm) and will report back when I try it out.

Posted (edited)

Well, I received the part.  It did fit perfectly into the 8 holes, BUT the desoldering of the old resistor array took a hell of a time and mess.  

I think I accidentally removed some traces around the holes, and now when I start up the Colecovision it shows a black screen with the RF and AV output.  I cannot test the controller ports because I don’t hear any audio either.

Sigh…  I had originally only intended to replace all the electrolytic caps (to diagnose an old issue with minor rolling interference on AV/RF) and it led to all these issues.  I think I will give up for now.

IMG_1757.thumb.jpeg.ffb54f9e1093f3ce92e7efff46d522d8.jpegIMG_1747.thumb.jpeg.ace84679958a08399ee94d6a1fe82800.jpeg

Edited by rednakes1
  • Sad 1

Just an update, I managed to fix my video issue, it was due to another part of the board where I had replaced a cap and damaged a trace on the VDP that led to +5V.  I forgot that I had made that change at the same time. That’s been fixed with a wire. 

Now the controller still has issues but it’s likely due to ripped traces again. I made a huge mess.  I tried the system diagnostics ROM with my Atarimax flash cartridge and some inputs are registering with Controller 1 but the rest are all over the place. Luckily the schematics posted online are a big help and I will take a look later at what was damaged using a continuity tester.

Posted (edited)

@-^CrossBow^- I'm wondering if someone can point me in the right direction.  So, I think I've fixed the damaged traces at the resistor array.  There were a total of 6(!) traces that had to be repaired by adding wires between J5 (controller port 1), U25 (resistor array) and U19 (the 74LS541 chip).  I checked for shorts on all 3 components as well as for missing connections, and they seem fine.  However, I'm still having issues with several of the inputs.

Here is the schematic of the controller interface on the motherboard from the Console5 Wiki, for reference.  The section I was working on was at components J5/U25/U19, which are at the bottom half:

image.thumb.jpeg.fa8ad7b5fbcf410a02532dd595e0e5da.jpeg

After turning on the Colecovision I used the Atarimax diagnostic ROM to test the controller at Port 1.   Only a few inputs work correctly at Port 1, with different controllers.  Port 2 works fine.  Specifically, these are the only inputs at Controller 1 that actually work:

• Down
  • Left
  • Right
  • Left Fire
  • Right Fire
  • Keys 1, 2, 9

Here some examples of the values that the controller test showed:

Down (correct): 

Left (correct):

Right (correct):

Left Fire(correct):

Up (WRONG):

01001111 <-- Should be 00000001

Hence when you press Up, the game tries to go Down, Left, Right, Up, and Left Fire at the same time.

Key 2 (correct):

Key 4 (WRONG):

10000000 <-- Should be 00000000

11111111 <-- Should be 00000100

Key 7 (WRONG):

00100000 <-- Should be 00000000

11111111 <-- Should be 00000111

Here's the schematic of the controller device, just to show which pins go to J5 in the above schematic:

image.thumb.jpeg.cf81d79dbdddbd70ff34eab5dad02d5a.jpeg

So, I am not sure what to do next.  Could the 74LS00 NAND Gate have gone defective when the original resistor array broke?

What about the 74LS541 at U19?  I don't think it shows the typical symptoms of this chip going bad.

Edited by rednakes1