IGNORED

FinalGROM /4 patch - here it is :)

This patch (including source of modified files) is thanks to a collaboration with @Lee Stewart, who hypothesized that the KSCAN mode in the FinalGROM source was being set incorrectly to a >05 value for the /4, disabling it's keyboard.  I've finally been able to get the XDT99 toolchain working with the FinalGROM source (there were quite a few issues to overcome because of .a99 vs .asm extensions, and other minor issues that took a while), but I was able to recompile the source and verify that it's working on both the /4 and a /4A.  

In fact, now we can start all the ROM based software and see which ones actually work and which ones misbehave on the /4, likely due to the very same KSCAN issue... (I'm looking at you, TI Workshop, and MiniWriter.)  Previously, the /4 didn't do a >6000 ROM scan for software, so ROM only carts didn't work!   TI isn't exempt either for having keyboard problems on the /4 - Alpiner has issues with pretending someone's hitting keys when it is on a /4 (and speech won't work.)

Enjoy, those of you who have a /4!  I see no reason why this same mod won't work on the FinalROM as well, and will look at the code when I can get some spare time.

FinalGrom-4-patch.zip

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

6 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

Mad men, the lot of you.  I assume this will be displayed at VCF?

That's exactly why I did it.  I'm lazy and didn't want to haul all those carts with me.  My joints protest the more I haul around, and it'll be less than one week after my last infusion.  #optimization

image.thumb.png.bc75be13754cf55f6714d07a0b55592a.pngimage.thumb.png.451fabbc1bc4ad0de834e1df8c895de4.png

• Like 11

6 hours ago, Asmusr said:

Why not, it's using graphics mode 1?

Yep, it seemed to work OK.  

That makes me wonder about putting a F18A in a 99/4 what the ROM routines would do.  At this point, the only things different are the keyboard and some other misc stuff in GROM/ROM.  That would be a fun experiment.  I do have a second 99/4 that I might try this with.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Asmusr said:

Why not, it's using graphics mode 1?

That is a statement, not a question :P  I thought it uses bitmap mode, so very cool it works on the /4.  How many of your games use mode 1?

• Like 1

Some fun pics of the 99/4 motherboard:  of note, the TIM9904 and 48mhz crystal, the space in the plastic for the speaker under the cart port, the plug for the speaker jack (not included with this /4, but is on my second one), the PSU connection to the board, the legacy IR connector at the top, etc. 

IMG_1911.jpeg

IMG_1912.jpeg

IMG_1913.jpeg

IMG_1914.jpeg

IMG_1915.jpeg

IMG_1916.jpeg

IMG_1917.jpeg

IMG_1918.jpeg

IMG_1919.jpeg

IMG_1920.jpeg

IMG_1921.jpeg

IMG_1922.jpeg

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, acadiel said:

Some fun pics of the 99/4 motherboard:  of note, the TIM9904 and 48mhz crystal, the space in the plastic for the speaker under the cart port, the plug for the speaker jack (not included with this /4, but is on my second one), the PSU connection to the board, the legacy IR connector at the top, etc. 

This qualifies as eye candy :)

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, acadiel said:

Yep, it seemed to work OK.  

That makes me wonder about putting a F18A in a 99/4 what the ROM routines would do.  At this point, the only things different are the keyboard and some other misc stuff in GROM/ROM.  That would be a fun experiment.  I do have a second 99/4 that I might try this with.

Works fine! Does require different jumpers and you'll either need tall pins or to move a capacitor. (Forgive the post in the way, I had just set up my Oculus Rift that same day).

image.thumb.jpeg.4b79e53ca98a2f4970e5a8f5401908ae.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.457bdd76f5a06f4ae6499e8af2e212e9.jpeg

Edited by Tursi
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, Tursi said:

Works fine! Does require different jumpers and you'll either need tall pins or to move a capacitor. (Forgive the post in the way, I had just set up my Oculus Rift that same day).

image.thumb.jpeg.4b79e53ca98a2f4970e5a8f5401908ae.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.457bdd76f5a06f4ae6499e8af2e212e9.jpeg

Just tried the Tang Nano variant, and it wasn’t very happy.  Here’s what its jumpers were set to.  Thoughts?

IMG_1924.jpeg

IMG_1925.jpeg

IMG_1926.jpeg

IMG_1928.jpeg

• Sad 1

And for all of you who always wanted to know…. The 99/4 can run the mega demo with a 9918A in it just fine :)  One of those things that I’m sure one of you probably always wondered in the back of your mind.   All the routines look like they were rolled on their own and not rom specific.  

• Like 3

IMG_1933.thumb.jpeg.190436725fcde80a32c0b80e926427fc.jpegMy spare F18A is working just fine.  Must be a TN VDP issue if the 9918A and F18A work fine.  Anyone know the TN VDP dev?  The lack of a jumpered CPUCLK doesn’t let the system boot; a jumpered CPUCLK causes corruption.  I know the F18A has a specific use case on how the /4A uses the CPUCLK and GROMCLK pins.  Maybe the /4 is slightly different?

I didn’t realize how long I had that F18A sitting around until I went to update it 😂 

IMG_1926.jpeg

IMG_1928.jpeg

IMG_1930.jpeg

He isn't really an easy person to get ahold of. When the thing first came into fruition, several individuals were having a lot of conversation with the dev. Toward the end he must have moved on, as it may be quite a while till a query received a response, sometimes not the answer one expected to receive. I've not received a good response as to whether the 9938 could be supported or that the whole 192k memory could ultimately be access. He seemed to want to stop at 128k memory.

1 hour ago, acadiel said:

Well, with the second /4 system going; we could have @OLD CS1 run the mega demo on it this year with the F18A ;)  Just need a second sidecar 32K.

We can make that happen.  I will have a spare Jedi 32k card, though it will need a power supply as neither of them seem to like internal power, anymore.  I also have a Speech Synthesizer with the power pass-through we can use.  You have the demo on a cartridge?

1 hour ago, acadiel said:

Well, with the second /4 system going; we could have @OLD CS1 run the mega demo on it this year with the F18A ;)  Just need a second sidecar 32K.

IMG_1943.jpeg

I may just have an extra TI 32K sidecar or three hiding downstairs. @iliketurtles was commenting on the plethora of sidecars down there the other night. . .

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ksarul said:

I may just have an extra TI 32K sidecar or three hiding downstairs. @iliketurtles was commenting on the plethora of sidecars down there the other night. . .

Yes... a proper TI 32k side car is warranted!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

We can make that happen.  I will have a spare Jedi 32k card, though it will need a power supply as neither of them seem to like internal power, anymore.  I also have a Speech Synthesizer with the power pass-through we can use.  You have the demo on a cartridge?

The /4 needs a FinalGROM to boot ROM carts.  I only have one.  We’d have to get another.  Maybe we can get someone to send us another in time for the 19th.  I can also patch yours.   I have two SD cards right now for updates, one for the /4 and one for the /4A.  (In case my patch shows any bugs.)

21 minutes ago, acadiel said:

I can also patch yours.   I have two SD cards right now for updates, one for the /4 and one for the /4A.  (In case my patch shows any bugs.)

Does the /4 patch also fix the QI problem?

16 minutes ago, acadiel said:

The Megademo running on a vanilla TI-99/4 with a plain TMS9918.  Kind of interesting!  

Speech seems louder than the 4A.