IGNORED

Kickstarter Book - Dare to Dream: Commodore and Amiga Today?

RobertB

2 hours ago, Landstalker said:

"Perhaps I can sample Landstalker's offerings unless he imposes a similar prerequisite."

Some of my recent titles.

https://www.specnext.com/software/?title=47
https://d-logames.es/product/qbee-for-zx-spectrum-next/

My Latest.
https://fusionretrobooks.com/products/head-over-heels

The programmers seem to be different in each of those games.  Are you the artist Simon Butler?

I guess one place I was going, but didn't spell it out, is I write plenty of software, but games least of all,

and to play any of them would require retro hardware other than Amiga, which shouldn't be assumed anyone in an Amiga section owns.

For Amiga I did hardware, and maybe minimal software to test/use it, and to critique it, you'd first have to build it.

For some of my simpler games I built the hardware, and that imposes obvious requirements too.

Edited by Brek Martin

This has been my (limited) understanding of what the Hombre chipset was..

Basically  2 chips- the first a controller chip similar in principle to Agnus, Alice, and Andrea. This chip featured an advance DMA engine and blitter as well as the PA-RISC processor.

The second  a display chip like Denise, Lisa, and Monica found on "Classic Amigas".

These chips and some other circuitry would be part of a PCI card??? 

Things then get a little murky, as Dave Haynie said Hombre was to form the basis of a CD32-type game console.

He's also said  that the only software that existed for the chip were a library of routines and a  3D package.. 

The design of both chips had not been finished, the display chip was the furthest along and it had been worked on by  Tim Mcdonald.

#You've also: Dr. Ed Hepler, who designed the system controller chip? 

To get a true account of what might of been, the book would very much need accounts from more than just David Haynie. 

Dave Haynie has given a brief break down of how far along things were. 

"We were on Rev 2 of most chips by the time the project was shut down. Much of Andrea had been characterized; we ran high resolution displays, copper and blitter, 24-bit modes, etc. On the other hand, only five of the 16 bitplane pointers worked, Monica's colour lookup table was all wrong, and a bug in Andrea prevented the testing of any read registers in the other chips. There was more work to do."

http://www.bambi-amiga.co.uk/amigahistory/hombre.html

Based on the above personally I don't feel David would of had access to 'hidden' information.. 

That's no slight on him, it just doesn't appear far enough along. 

I get the distinct impression it was a good 2 years away from completion. 

And we really need Tim  at the very least, to join David H. for engineering accounts. 

You never go on single source accounts. 

Edited by Lostdragon

1 hour ago, Brek Martin said:

Your turn Marcio...

What have you given to your community or scene if you wish to call it?

You don't have to be a programmer, or have any particular skill at all to give, so I'm keen to hear it.

You're right Brek... I don't have to be a programmer, engineer, artist, musician, or even a senior-age former marketing manager.

I don't have to be anything or contribute anything to the Amiga community!

I'm just here to have fun on these forums.  I delight in holding up a mirror when you "men" sling mud, venom, poop at someone, especially someone who isn't even here to defend themselves.  The mirror deflects the poop back at you, and it seemed to have worked judging by how you've lost your cool.

Doesn't feel good to be on the receiving end, eh?

7 hours ago, Landstalker said:

The last time I checked, yes.

Bloody hell... the graphics in the ZX Spectrum Next version of Head Over Heels look fantastic!

I had a pirated copy of the C64 version in the 1980's, but it didn't hold my interest as a youngster.  Couldn't understand why they had to use monochrome graphics.  Perhaps it was just a lazy port from other 8-bit platforms.  Or perhaps they resorted to monochrome to display hi-res game graphics, as going to multi-colour on the C64 requires cutting the horizontal resolution in half.

While the Amiga version escaped the monochrome madness, it did nothing to promote the machine's 16-bit glory.  With a pale, washed out palette, it made one wonder, "Why bother?"

I note that Head Over Heels on the Next is not a free product, with a price tag of US$40?  And I'm assuming you get a cut of that pie.  Which makes me wonder why you're pissed that Pleasance tried to extract an income stream from the failed Amiga Global Alliance (AGA) project.  You're obviously not opposed to creators receiving monetary compensation, at least when it comes to yourself.

And while you're not quite as senior, you look to be within a decade of Pleasance's age (75).  One would think that someone like you would be more understanding of his need as a senior to have an extra income stream or two.  Perhaps your beef is less with his search for income streams, and more to do with the AGA concept itself.  But even there, your extreme dislike is needless.  The AGA campaign drew insufficient backers, and he was ultimately forced to cancel the campaign.  The market did its job - no need to continually kick a man for it.  There were times in this thread when it sounded like you wanted to literally strangle the guy!

Perhaps you use that rage as an aphrodisiac of sorts, to fuel your artistry.  It's a shame that the rage must be directed at someone.  I don't understand, and I can't relate - I don't have an artistic bone in me.

4 hours ago, Marcio D. said:

You're right Brek... I don't have to be a programmer, engineer, artist, musician, or even a senior-age former marketing manager.

I don't have to be anything or contribute anything to the Amiga community!

I'm just here to have fun on these forums.  I delight in holding up a mirror when you "men" sling mud, venom, poop at someone, especially someone who isn't even here to defend themselves.  The mirror deflects the poop back at you, and it seemed to have worked judging by how you've lost your cool.

Doesn't feel good to be on the receiving end, eh?

I haven't lost my cool once. It would take more than you champ :D

So the answer is as I thought.

3 minutes ago, Brek Martin said:

I haven't lost my cool once. It would take more than you champ :D

So the answer is as I thought.

Yes, it takes the poop that you flung to be deflected back at you.

I merely held up the mirror that deflected... I take no credit!

4 minutes ago, youxia said:

This is getting silly. Is there really a need to remind everyone that Amiga community is forever at war with itself?

It'd only take one of you to stop responding to the other, so perhaps it's worth considering?

Naw, can't stop.

Just too fun deflecting poop back at these Pleasance-bashers.

47 minutes ago, youxia said:

This is getting silly. Is there really a need to remind everyone that Amiga community is forever at war with itself?

It'd only take one of you to stop responding to the other, so perhaps it's worth considering?

I messaged another participant of this thread 12 hours ago stating that my failure in my view is participating

beyond the point where I'm an adult myself, after what was really a reminder to myself on page one in disguise:

"I'll no longer entertain you."

It's only ego that needs to have the last word, and I shouldn't have to.

It's an integrity failure. My words didn't align with my actions.

For that I apologise to the group, and after this you may hold me accountable.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Marcio D. said:

Bloody hell... the graphics in the ZX Spectrum Next version of Head Over Heels look fantastic!

I had a pirated copy of the C64 version in the 1980's, but it didn't hold my interest as a youngster.  Couldn't understand why they had to use monochrome graphics.  Perhaps it was just a lazy port from other 8-bit platforms.  Or perhaps they resorted to monochrome to display hi-res game graphics, as going to multi-colour on the C64 requires cutting the horizontal resolution in half.

While the Amiga version escaped the monochrome madness, it did nothing to promote the machine's 16-bit glory.  With a pale, washed out palette, it made one wonder, "Why bother?"

I note that Head Over Heels on the Next is not a free product, with a price tag of US$40?  And I'm assuming you get a cut of that pie.  Which makes me wonder why you're pissed that Pleasance tried to extract an income stream from the failed Amiga Global Alliance (AGA) project.  You're obviously not opposed to creators receiving monetary compensation, at least when it comes to yourself.

And while you're not quite as senior, you look to be within a decade of Pleasance's age (75).  One would think that someone like you would be more understanding of his need as a senior to have an extra income stream or two.  Perhaps your beef is less with his search for income streams, and more to do with the AGA concept itself.  But even there, your extreme dislike is needless.  The AGA campaign drew insufficient backers, and he was ultimately forced to cancel the campaign.  The market did its job - no need to continually kick a man for it.  There were times in this thread when it sounded like you wanted to literally strangle the guy!

Perhaps you use that rage as an aphrodisiac of sorts, to fuel your artistry.  It's a shame that the rage must be directed at someone.  I don't understand, and I can't relate - I don't have an artistic bone in me.

Never mind.