IGNORED

The NEW - TI 99/4A/2024 - A Dream!

I read and I keep getting surprised and it makes me dream!!!

I am reading about all the improvement…

I am thinking... "Hmmm, BUT what if you just had a “modern” computer, would that be better? And what is the constraints to make an “update”?"

Like back in the 80’s I wanted to make stuff to make money… BUT the computer was so “little” that it did not have space for ads! So... I gave up! lol, or my ideas was to big 😛 hehehe

In my mind, Why do an update on a “small part”? Why not go over the computer in total and update ALL?

PS! Love the “modern” TI, in France!

I see all the Minds that is here... So many diffrent talants that could make the new TI 99/4A/2024!

I see there are so many parts that CAN and IS updated, why not do a total project. I see Minds that can creat great stuff, in this group! 

Update ALL... AND keep the Original! I think there is potential to make a modern TI, in the group!

New Computer "box" to put it ALL in!

New “main plate” for it ALL to be connected to!

Update storage!

Update RAM!

The TI (modern) Net!

Update what can be connected! (Disk, CF, and ???)

And so on!

AND then put it all in the “modern TI” box!

What more ???

"The freedom, in computer-form!"

Maybe first, “just” a “Drawing” to MAKE the NEW “TI 99/4A/2024”?

A total project of the “TI 99/4A/2024”, where all that CAN be updated in ONE computer! So it is original AND updated! Restart/Reset and go 2024! Break the “mold” and make a NEW “TI-99/4A/2024". Just a big dream dream! 😛 hehehe ALSO… Maybe even new ideas for the old TI?

Make a NEW updated computer, that plays OLD games, BUT has the power to let imagination free flowing! Also the more modern computer are getting restricted by ads and “shit”, this old one is “growing” every day, for me!

For me, to look at all the “minor” updates, feels strange. I want to make a program I use word on my MODERN computer to fix it THEN import it into the TI (Classic99). So many things are better fixed FIRST on a modern computer, THEN imported into the TI! I wish, I could do it ALL on the “old” TI!

I must say that I LOVE Classic99, it is “kinda” has a total update! Why get out the old computer when I can do it all on my new “super computer”? But, will I trow away the old TI? NEVER!

So, all I find and great that this updating is happening! But with making a BIG update on the HOLE computer? lol OR, maybe I have to make a new company – The NEW TI???

I love to read about the updates and what people are figuring out, I am so impress with the use of new “stuff” to enhance and grow the TI!

BUT… Again, what about a fix that puts all the good minds in here going on ON BIG NEW - “TI-99/4A/2024”. I read here and is amazed by the “know how” of so many of you. I am a “mouse” compared to HUGE minds here! But, lol, even a “mouse” can dream 😛 hehehe

BUT… A new “ground” to grow the “Modern TI” on! Kinda take up what was let down in late 80’s, and then making a new TI!

1. What is a 2024 model and what should be in it?

2. Then make blueprints!

3. Then makes it!

4. Have fun with it!

It all has to be “old” AND new!?!?

First it ALL can be in mind! THEN make it!

PS! Seeing all the great Minds in here, I think that a NEW TI could be great!

So when I read this, I am, “What if… Ohhh no, it can’t!” BUT I love to read about how this “modern” computer still is living and is strong! Compared to THIS computer I am writing THIS on, this modern computer, it is gone from mind, one day… But on the shelf I have 3 TI’s that I will NEVER get rid off! Never ever! This modern I am on now, someday it will be gone and I will not miss it! But my old TI, will NEVER be thrown away!

I will keep loving my TI!!! I will keep dreaming! AND… I am sure this will not happen! BUT… I dream!

Also… I must say I am impressed with updates that are made for the TI! It also show that the platform has potential! I look at stuff that is made on the software and some of it “could” be made a long time ago! BUT there was not time for it. But with the great minds here…

You make it and is telling that potential is in the “old” computer! I am impressed with what you make and can get the TI 99/4A, to do!

And, I keep thinking… “What if…”

BUT… Keep making stuff for the TI!

Keep it alive!

PS! OR… Make a TI 99/2024 ALL new OS based on the TI… I am reading and my Mind is dreaming! lol

• Like 2

13 hours ago, oddemann said:

I am impressed with what you make and can get the TI 99/4A, to do!

May be we call it the TI99/9A

Throwing a few ideas around, It must have :

TI99/4A compatible software/hardware + Geneve

It must have a 44pin(side port)/60pin(PEB)/36pin(Cartridge Port) available also a possible configurable GPIO size bus.

The VDP must be 9918/28/38/58/F18 compatible

New VDP mode named V9988, with modern Graphic card capability with VGA,HDMI etc

Use the original 3 sound + noise, SIDI, IBM Type Soundcard and 8 channel Analog sound

Able to use TMS99000 CPU instructions

Has USB,IC2,SDA,RS232,PIO,FDC,IDE,SATA,IR, SD card ports + others

MUST fit into the same foot print and general design of the 4A 

Has the ability to run a LINUX type Operating System     

2 Cartridge Ports, one using the standard 99/4A the other would be new design. 

Able to interface a TRINARY system, special 9/18/36 bit port (+ 0 -)

It all seems like a tall order but remember without some sort of a goal we have no direction to pursue our creative ideas with our grass roots understanding, be it in the Retro (6502,Z80.8088,TMS9900) or Pico, Arduino, STM32 or our own home-brew (made from 74 series chips or relays) camps. 

Remember we are 6 Billion Strong and we are capable of creating anything we put our minds to, Corporations are but a small integrated unit capable of developing a useful product but without our input and mental resources it is mute or defunct depending on our whim.  

Regards Arto

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Artoj said:

TI99/4A compatible software/hardware + Geneve

It must have a 44pin(side port)/60pin(PEB)/36pin(Cartridge Port) available also a possible configurable GPIO size bus.

The VDP must be 9918/28/38/58/F18 compatible

New VDP mode named V9988, with modern Graphic card capability with VGA,HDMI etc

Use the original 3 sound + noise, SIDI, IBM Type Soundcard and 8 channel Analog sound

Able to use TMS99000 CPU instructions

Has USB,IC2,SDA,RS232,PIO,FDC,IDE,SATA,IR, SD card ports + others

MUST fit into the same foot print and general design of the 4A 

Has the ability to run a LINUX type Operating System     

2 Cartridge Ports, one using the standard 99/4A the other would be new design. 

Able to interface a TRINARY system, special 9/18/36 bit port (+ 0 -)

This is good, stuff I did not think about or a "angel" to view stuff. for the TI!

And... Tank you very much for making me think ;) 

I only think one this is not good...

"MUST fit into the same foot print and general design of the 4A "

I think that with all the possibilitys today, makes the TI to small! I think that the TI must have MORE space, BUT put it ALL in one box! Maybe just use the old TI as a keyboard. But "break" the mold and make it bigger and better!
That is my dream!

I understand that one wants to keep the old TI, but...
I think that the way that the France guy has made the new TI is the way to go! A new "box" for it all to be in! A new 1 box for it all! BUT I see all the cool stuff that is made and used with the old TI and it is great! But a real NEW TI has to make use think diffrently and put it all in ONE box!

I know that the TI will have stuff made to it as it is! I love the TI no matter! But... I can dream!

Well... I dont think that size is the first and most important one to have! More important to have a computer first!

THEN see if it can be put in the old box! I think that for something like this to be made, FIRST you make the computer, THEN see where it will fit!

You have a point AND if all can be made to fit inside the old "box", why not! But first have a computer to put in. ;) So this is one of the last points to figure out! I think that the most important thing to do... Is to make a new computer, THEN we know if it will fit! LOL It sound like you have a new TI ready ;) 

BUT... this is a good point to have, that NOTHING is a hindrance for a new and better TI! Imagination has to be free, THEN later figure out space!

I went down the path of "fit in the console".  For Geneve 2020 I threw everything on one PCB layout with crossing buses of 8-bit and 16-bit. 

Several iterations later, I settled on 32-bit NuBus which gracefully handles 8 and 16 bit data paths too.

TI pushed NuBus beginning in 1983, and used it in their S1500 Unix workstation. 

Similarly, TI's E-Bus systems had a signal for 8 or 16 bit bus cycle. 

One vestigial feature of my 4A-sized board is the original keyboard connector. One chip encodes both PS/2  and physical 4A keyboard inputs, then outputs  both 4A and Geneve compatible signals. 

I'm still stuck in hardware bring-up.

• Like 4

in the MAME subfolder on WHTECH was a project where several of the more advanced features were added into a MAME package and it was called the TI99/4a Super System which I thought would be a great name for similar project I am working on. that is until I realized the abbreviation would be TI99-4aSS. 😁  

• Haha 5

What is the TI, is set up like the modern PC?

Or put with the OLD CPU as a common startup, not the same, but in the same "foot print" as the old TI?

A modern CPU, BUT can "naturally" be set up by the old CPU. Or? I am thinking of Ubuntu that is running on the same "PC" as windows. Then the big qestion is, Should the NEW TI run on the same "system" so you could run other OS on it? Or break off and have a "pure" TI system?

I tinke that a restart on a PC that boots into a clean PC and then you start one or another program. So save as much power as possible. With Windows today, it is a stupid system... In CASE you have this or that... It starts up ALL kind of shit so you COULD start it! But I clean computer that ONLY starts up what you tell it to! I also think that Windows is opening up for other things to grow, today!

Then... should the user be a computer expert? OR the computer made by an expert that NOT has to make shit for someone to get a good pay?

I think that the TI 99/4A/2024 should be free of it ALL. BUT if you want to install a program with ads on it, then do it. But most programs a free! I think it would be cool to have a HD and load up a old program and use it AND let people have more space to make more COOL stuff!

But... Thinking all about it... Maybe a new modern TI would be full of ads in no time, as people would be payed so let it into the "new" TI. SO... Should one ONLY keep developing the OLD TI? And dream about a new cool modern TI!? But I cant stop thinking... What if... Maybe make a test ver. of the modern TI and let it grow?

But for all that is putting stuff in here... Should I put in all into ONE one pas as I get more stuff that is wanted in the new TI? Also thinking about it... maybe it could ALL be put in ON large part. If it all could be in one part and then started diffrent uses of the stuff inside? Then it could be inside the "old" TI. Is it possible? I am not an expert on that, to know if it could.

Also thinking about taking it all, that is wished on a modern TI and collect it?

But I know that the skills are inside this place to MAKE a modern TI! But is there a will? At least there is still work on the old TI, to make stuff for it!

PS! Thanks for suggestions on what a new TI should have in it!
PS!! YES more Fonts!
PS!!! Classic99 is a way to go, and make it "Modern" and then have an exampel of what could be done? OR... "ModernClassic99" to open up Space, Ram and so on... To see if there is intrest!

7 hours ago, oddemann said:

PS!!! Classic99 is a way to go, and make it "Modern" and then have an exampel of what could be done? OR... "ModernClassic99" to open up Space, Ram and so on... To see if there is intrest!

I've toyed with the idea before... especially with Application Mode that would have made it possible to write Windows applications in Extended BASIC, for instance.

But I don't think it's the right way forward. I want to see more apps for the original machine.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tursi said:

I've toyed with the idea before... especially with Application Mode that would have made it possible to write Windows applications in Extended BASIC, for instance.

But I don't think it's the right way forward. I want to see more apps for the original machine.

I don't think you need to make more programs! There was a tread about games for the TI, someone was updating many games! So there is MANY games!

I want to make something… AGAIN and AGAIN I stop because there is not space to do all the stuff I want! I plan a game on the TI… I soon end! Why… I play a LITTLE with graphics and I am using to much! I need to split my idea into many parts to make it work… Kills my motivation and I am feed up!

IF I had a TI that had MUCH more memory and space for graphics, I might get my ideas out! As I said, back in the late 80’s I wanted to make a program for a shop to use. To promote them self… My graphical stuff killed the idea! And it was WAY to MUCH! And it was JUST the border!

Just look at how there are many different ways to improve the TI. I think that is pointing to an update COULD be OK! Like one that I like where all is put on a card and then on the TI, and it is WAY faster! Why do it half way? Or trying to get out a tiny tiny more speed of the TI!

I see so many projects that goes RIGHT outside what the TI can do! And some of it is because you can make stuff faster.

Make a NEW TI, I say! A new TI that can do internet, share stuff online. It COULD be free! But… I guess that some how it will be locked into copyright shit. So, as long as it is OLD we can do stuff on it. Because we ALL have a “real” computer!

It is kinda cool to think about, you only need electricity, then the TI is up and running! My first PC, it was a “carry-pc”, but I call it “drag-able-pc”! Do I miss it? No, never! As said before, I have TI and I will never trow it away!

AND… This might be most important… The future… Will we let the TI die with us? Or do we reinvent it so that others might go back and find the old TI?

As it is now, we that did tinker with the old TI, we still do! But do we get more NEW people into this? Nope!

But with a NEW TI, there would be so so many new people AND some will go back to the original and make stuff for it!

So I think that a modern TI would insure that the OLD TI will keep living!

BUT… First many people need to say what they want and think, and from that one knows what the future can be for the TI!

I LOVE the TI!

PS! On the other side, it might be fun to make a game, I do graphical stuff and lol someone ELSE figure out the SPACE for it all 😛 hehehe

PS!! There is a game out that I think is hinting what could be, a BIG graphical game! (don’t remember the name now)

PS!!! OR, Maybe a NEW - TI OS is the first step! And I could run it on THIS computer ;) lol

• Like 1

I am reading about updates done to the old TI, in different treads!

Some are putting the TI into the roof of what it can do! Some is making it easier to connect the old TI to modern stuff!

But… I keep thinking so much work for almost “nothing”! Most of it is GREAT and it makes the old TI look so much better! But lately I think… “Why not update ALL of the TI? And take it into the future!”

I see the old computer in parts and some small part changes to make it usable on modern equipment. BUT… Will I buy it? No, to tiny update, the ONLY thing I am thinking about is fixing to I more easily can use the OLD TI on new screens! BUT… Why not update MUCH MUCH more if I first update?

The update is so so cool! But do I take apart my TI for a “tiny” update? So fare… No way! I keep the old TV to be able to use the TI on. But, I mostly us the Classic99. More freedom and easy to use the computer and “copy past” stuff from the computer into Classic99.

SO, why not update the HOLE computer, new board and update ALL that can be updated? I think that there are so many people with skills to make a better TI, that one could give different thing for different people. And in that way make the TI as good as it can be on “old path”. Like make it ALL as good as one can!

I want a TI that has max memory, easily connected to modern TV/monitors, better sound, and easily connect online. Kinda like THIS PC I have this stuff on! BUT and very important… in the SAME space as the old TI! AND a big one… Make the TI a PROPER 16 bit computer! lol, I think that it will be a so “secret”, that virus protection is not needed 😛 hehehe

So a proper update of the OLD TI!

I think that there is so much happening that is someone was putting it ALL into the board of the old TI! I think there is so much updating going on, why not make it so you can have max memory and max of every thing else on the OLD TI! (Seen a new board here, some time ago, BUT I think it was the old TI on a new board?!?!)

BUT, that is a place to start, a “blank” board and then build up the “new” TI! (Then one should be able to put it into the TI “case”.)

I see many people doing hardware stuff on the TI and combine all to make a BIG TI! As big as it can be in the old “style”. And I think that this can help or make a road forward to a new modern TI!

What I can say… There are so many great people making great stuff for the old TI! Impressive!

SO… why not… Make the ultimate TI and THEN… maybe a MODERN TI 😛 hehehe

Well I just have to say, I read stuff and I am so impressed with what people are making and updating, for the old TI!

TI 2024 Screen2.jpg

Posted (edited)

Why forward… and HOW forward...

I have been thinking about it and... I think that it is better to use the platform that is made and make a TI OS for it!

I think that it is much easier to take what is made, why «invent» stiff all over? Better to make a «TI OS», that uses the modern computer and EVERYTHING in it!

Because all I need, I find in the modern PC! But I HATE Windows! I use it mostly, but I am on my way over to Ubuntu! Why not make a TI OS for the modern computer?

First make a OS that has stuff you need and slowly add stuff to it. And later find a way to make games for the modern TI with all the NEW stuff, but with the old stuff people know. And then start to grow the modern TI OS!

So the first OS is just a few things to make it run! Basic with all the ram. And open up the lango for the new PC. Then later make a «better» upgrade of langos for the Modern TI.

AND people can start to make scaled things on the TI OS. Like...

- Clock and date!

- Ram!

- Memory!

Make it be able to run old programs on it and then make stuff as one feels like it!

Think about it... Right now the TI uses very little memory on stuff! Then when time comes, make it better BUT still tiny!

In that way, get a TI OS that uses very little space for the OS... And then grow it as we see what is needed! Suddenly it is skills to make programs that is important! A few has the task to make a NEW OS for the TI when time comes!

I think that I would start to make stuff on the Modern TI! And I must say that I am impressed when people make stuff for the OLD TI and it works. SO little space and still it looks great! I am impressed! But thinking about it... THIS could be the trend for a NEW computer OS! A OS that uses ONLY what is needed!

I so want the space to make my stuff, I sly start and I crash hard in the ceiling... and... yahh... later... will think about it!

So a new TI... It needs to have people think about it and then make it on the modern system!

In that sense Classic99 is o the way and is showing that it is POSSIBLE to do it!

So a Beta could be to open up Classic99 to be able to use the modern computer! So there is a start! Classic99 is made on the modern computer... It could be oped up and made bigger as a test to see if people want to use it!

Classic99 – The only thing needed it to open it up to use the Ram and CPU of the modern PC... BUT keep it at the same speed!

I have been reading stuff but now with a «modern TI» in mind and I now thing that Modern TI can and SHOULD be on the modern stuff! So not a new TI, but a TI OS! It would be so great to have Ubuntu and TI OS! On my PC! Then I can have my OLD TI but play and have fun on the old AND the NEW TI!

I also think that if with more Space and Ram, the games could be so so so COOL! AND more people could make stuff for the NEW TI! I think that most people look at the money they have, spend a lot on an old computer, that is so limited! BUT with a modern TI OS, I think that more will happen on it... OR?

SO... I think that I can want this and then it is a nice and cool think to think about!

So look at the OLD TI and what can be open up and what should be added?

So, my thinking now, having been thinking about it! NO, not a tiny upgrade! But Put the TI into the “modern” size! And then figure out what is needed!

So I think that Cassic99 is a good place to start! BUT… I am not saying… You have to! Right Now I am thinking and MAYBE after many people, have been thinking about it… MAYBE!!! So… Now it is just a good dream ;) And I hope that others can think and dream about it and IF there a wish, we might be making a “Plan” for the new TI OS!

AND I KNOW, if only I dream… It is MY cool dream! So… Now I dream about the MODERN TI OS!

Odd K.

PS! The cool thing about new TI OS, is that one dos not need to think about, “Can I or Can I NOT???”

TI 99 2024 II.jpg

Edited by oddemann
  • Like 1

On 7/26/2024 at 8:54 PM, oddemann said:

Why forward… and HOW forward...

I have been thinking about it and... I think that it is better to use the platform that is made and make a TI OS for it!

I think that it is much easier to take what is made, why «invent» stiff all over? Better to make a «TI OS», that uses the modern computer and EVERYTHING in it!

Because all I need, I find in the modern PC! But I HATE Windows! I use it mostly, but I am on my way over to Ubuntu! Why not make a TI OS for the modern computer?

First make a OS that has stuff you need and slowly add stuff to it. And later find a way to make games for the modern TI with all the NEW stuff, but with the old stuff people know. And then start to grow the modern TI OS!

So the first OS is just a few things to make it run! Basic with all the ram. And open up the lango for the new PC. Then later make a «better» upgrade of langos for the Modern TI.

AND people can start to make scaled things on the TI OS. Like...

- Clock and date!

- Ram!

- Memory!

Make it be able to run old programs on it and then make stuff as one feels like it!

Think about it... Right now the TI uses very little memory on stuff! Then when time comes, make it better BUT still tiny!

In that way, get a TI OS that uses very little space for the OS... And then grow it as we see what is needed! Suddenly it is skills to make programs that is important! A few has the task to make a NEW OS for the TI when time comes!

I think that I would start to make stuff on the Modern TI! And I must say that I am impressed when people make stuff for the OLD TI and it works. SO little space and still it looks great! I am impressed! But thinking about it... THIS could be the trend for a NEW computer OS! A OS that uses ONLY what is needed!

I so want the space to make my stuff, I sly start and I crash hard in the ceiling... and... yahh... later... will think about it!

So a new TI... It needs to have people think about it and then make it on the modern system!

In that sense Classic99 is o the way and is showing that it is POSSIBLE to do it!

So a Beta could be to open up Classic99 to be able to use the modern computer! So there is a start! Classic99 is made on the modern computer... It could be oped up and made bigger as a test to see if people want to use it!

Classic99 – The only thing needed it to open it up to use the Ram and CPU of the modern PC... BUT keep it at the same speed!

I have been reading stuff but now with a «modern TI» in mind and I now thing that Modern TI can and SHOULD be on the modern stuff! So not a new TI, but a TI OS! It would be so great to have Ubuntu and TI OS! On my PC! Then I can have my OLD TI but play and have fun on the old AND the NEW TI!

I also think that if with more Space and Ram, the games could be so so so COOL! AND more people could make stuff for the NEW TI! I think that most people look at the money they have, spend a lot on an old computer, that is so limited! BUT with a modern TI OS, I think that more will happen on it... OR?

SO... I think that I can want this and then it is a nice and cool think to think about!

So look at the OLD TI and what can be open up and what should be added?

So, my thinking now, having been thinking about it! NO, not a tiny upgrade! But Put the TI into the “modern” size! And then figure out what is needed!

So I think that Cassic99 is a good place to start! BUT… I am not saying… You have to! Right Now I am thinking and MAYBE after many people, have been thinking about it… MAYBE!!! So… Now it is just a good dream ;) And I hope that others can think and dream about it and IF there a wish, we might be making a “Plan” for the new TI OS!

AND I KNOW, if only I dream… It is MY cool dream! So… Now I dream about the MODERN TI OS!

Odd K.

PS! The cool thing about new TI OS, is that one dos not need to think about, “Can I or Can I NOT???”

TI 99 2024 II.jpg

I have commented on this thread before.

But I am gearing slowly towards that. I did it before back in the 90s with my SOB and my licensed upgraded to the ti99 operating system adding in my O.P.A. Micro-Manager but I was limited back then to just 4k of new GPL code, so not much could be done.

But now thanks to new hardware like grommy2, I will be coding up soon v2 of a new ti99 os adding in a bunch of much needed things and support for all the cool new hardware out there now.

See my comments here:

Stay tuned.. your Dream Machine will occur, but I doubt in year 2024, I am aiming for 2025.

• Like 3