IGNORED

Announcing Cosmo Cats, Hotdog, and Super Asteroids / Missile command available at Songbird

Songbird

We just released a bunch of new Lynx and Jaguar products on our site. We even have a few JagFest t-shirts and JagFest Collector Packs left from the show! Thanks as always for your tremendous support and making this such a fun hobby to share together.

Cosmo Cats JagFest Edition (limited to 100 units)

Hotdog

Super Asteroids / Missile Command

Also, check out the listing for new old stock Lynx games. We now have a ton of sealed games including Battlezone, Joust, Klax, Robotron, and more.

https://songbird-productions.com

image.thumb.png.571e5357f12b7bdb2e75542f7740c6e7.png

• Like 7

Cosmo cats is a homebrew that from what I understand was completed after several years of development. 

Hotdog was an original 90s title that was completed and shelved.

Some might say that Hotdog was going to be a bigger game, more levels etc. but what's being offered can easily be considered a completed game in my opinion.

Hope this helps!

Cosmo Cats is still in development.  The Jagfest version is highly polished, very playable, and super fun, but it doesn't have multiplayer yet.  It's solo vs. three computer enemies.  Personally I hope a few more additions are made before its release, like the "sudden death" mode that kicks in after awhile in Bomberman, making the arena gradually smaller until only one player remains.  The current version has a time limit ending matches in a draw.  I'd also like to see the "throw" and "kick" powerups added from Super Bomberman 1&2, but I don't know if those are planned.

Hotdog is also not complete, but the Jagfest version is the most complete version available.  Carl from Songbird mentioned at Jagfest that he would like to finish it up in the future, but he has several other projects lined up ahead of it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hotdog:

It boosts tons of colorful platform graphics, quite obviously inspired by games like Zool and Sonic, it has some quick tunes looping in background - fitting in style, but don’t expect memorable chiptunes here. It works and sets the cheerful mood.

Animation of characters are often very well done, with fitting style and looks.

The drawbacks are: the scrolling, albeit fast, is a bit on rough-end of sides, and the jerkiness experienced can make it difficult to really get a feel for enemies and dangerous objects/projectiles which then seem to hit you in jumping/midair situations you really cannot avoid/dodge. Hmm, frustrating.

The control of HotDog is itself good, if not perfected.

The Boss-fight (at the end of World 1) is a bit sluggish and chaotic, but one can get the hang of it with quite a lot of trial and error.

The platform action is the strong side, and sad to see the game ‘put away’ to end up as this ‘overview Demo’.

It still feels like playing through an entire short platform game though.

Graphics: 8/10

Sound: 6/10

Playability: 7,5/10

Lastability: 7/10

Other: this is a large presentation Demo, not the planned full game which were supposed to have more than 30 stages, while this has 8.’

Verdict:  

7,5/10

If you’re a Lynx collector, not much to think about here.

If you need to weigh your retrogame money and time, you may want to check out Scrapyard Dog first, if cartoon/charm/mascot platformer is what you look for.

Given that, this fully playable Demo provides colorful fun, and cheerful sound, some intriguing platform action, and quite a lot to like, before it all too suddenly ends. If you can bear with something a bit unpolished, you’ll find fun, color and charm here, together with some frustrating moments. 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/24/2024 at 10:10 PM, 4ever2600 said:

Very fair review Giles. That's pretty close to what I have thought about hotdog over the years.  Glad to see someone took the time to do a review on this title. 

Yeah, and I just didn’t even know it existed until this year, with the new run (and since I’ve picked up on collecting for the Atari Lynx - very much due to the existence of the Analogue Pocket which doesn’t put any strain on my eyes with its brilliant modern screen).

Reruns are nice; new collectors can get some exposure to whats been going on.

Still, it would’ve been cool, if also copyright-status, ownership and all that could be settled in a direction to bring some of these titles back to production, yes, have people complete them, and then publish the completed titles.

Not just HotDog, but many of games playable but left unfinished.

• Like 2