IGNORED

Does a schematic for a NanoPEB exist?

It might be of use to find out what might be wrong with my unit.

While debugging my ROM/RAM cartridge, my Nano PEB serial port seems to have died or, at least, become flaky.

I wrote and assembled a program to cycle the bank-selection circuitry.  Then I tried to send the assembly listing to my PC over a serial port so I could type the hex code into my PROM burner's hex editor.  The PC is a quintuple-boot with Windows 7 and various flavors of Linux.  I would boot into the Linux part to transfer the listing to the Windows file-system, then re-boot into Windows to actually type in the hex code.

I used Fred Kaal's Ed/Assem IV ROM image, copied into the ROM/RAM cart's PROM.  The CF lights on the NanoPEB flicker when the listing file is accessed, but the PC received no data.  The weird part is that sometimes the light would flicker once a second or so, but other times it flashes really quickly and the TI goes back to the Editor screen.  The once-a-second flash is what I expect to have, based on having done this many times over the years.

After checking that the cable was connected, I put an oscilloscope probe on the MAX232 chip and, again, no data.  Then I moved the probe to the TMS9902 chip's data output, with the same result.  The CRUOUT line into the 9902 did not change states when I tried to send the file.

K-R.

Edited by Kchula-Rrit

8 hours ago, Kchula-Rrit said:

It might be of use to find out what might be wrong with my unit.

While debugging my ROM/RAM cartridge, my Nano PEB serial port seems to have died or, at least, become flaky.

I wrote and assembled a program to cycle the bank-selection circuitry.  Then I tried to send the assembly listing to my PC over a serial port so I could type the hex code into my PROM burner's hex editor.  The PC is a quintuple-boot with Windows 7 and various flavors of Linux.  I would boot into the Linux part to transfer the listing to the Windows file-system, then re-boot into Windows to actually type in the hex code.

I used Fred Kaal's Ed/Assem IV ROM image, copied into the ROM/RAM cart's PROM.  The CF lights on the NanoPEB flicker when the listing file is accessed, but the PC received no data.  The weird part is that sometimes the light would flicker once a second or so, but other times it flashes really quickly and the TI goes back to the Editor screen.  The once-a-second flash is what I expect to have, based on having done this many times over the years.

After checking that the cable was connected, I put an oscilloscope probe on the MAX232 chip and, again, no data.  Then I moved the probe to the TMS9902 chip's data output, with the same result.  The CRUOUT line into the 9902 did not change states when I tried to send the file.

K-R.

As far as I know Jamie never released the information of any of the CF/Nano devices into the wild, nor the CLPD programs to program the chip with.

8 hours ago, RickyDean said:

As far as I know Jamie never released the information of any of the CF/Nano devices into the wild, nor the CLPD programs to program the chip with.

I can understand, so long as he's making a product, or intending to re-start production in the future.

It would be great to have some debugging or troubleshooting aids, though.

K-R.

Posted (edited)

One of my problems might be that the 9902 on my Nano just fell out of the socket.  The weight of the chip clip and oscilloscope probe pulled it right out.  Thinking the socket might be worn-out.

Mine has the RAM and EPROM (don't think it's an EEPROM) as DIP parts.  The EPROM has one pin sticking out, with a jumper to another board trace.

Might replace it with a machined socket and see if that helps.

K-R.

Edited by Kchula-Rrit
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, Kchula-Rrit said:

I can understand, so long as he's making a product, or intending to re-start production in the future.

It would be great to have some debugging or troubleshooting aids, though.

K-R.

I doubt if he'll be reproducing it as there are now new options like the Tipi, Pico Sidecar, and Apedsk, etc. He was filling a niche and things changed. You might email him and ask though. I'd like to redo the programming in one of my CF7+'s and burn a new CLPD for the other.

• Like 3

I put my logic analyzer on the 9902 and used the Ed/Assem-IV to print a file to SIO.BA=4800.DA=8.PA=N to see what signals looked-like.  The output appears to stuck high, so I'm assuming the 9902 died.  Could be the PLD...

Fortunately, the CF interface still works.

Sigh.

K-R.

6 hours ago, Kchula-Rrit said:

I put my logic analyzer on the 9902 and used the Ed/Assem-IV to print a file to SIO.BA=4800.DA=8.PA=N to see what signals looked-like.  The output appears to stuck high, so I'm assuming the 9902 died.  Could be the PLD...

Check the state of the /CTS input on the 9902. It won't transmit unless it is low.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Stuart said:

Check the state of the /CTS input on the 9902. It won't transmit unless it is low.

Thanks for the suggestion!  While checking the data-sheet I didn't read the pin functions, just looked at the pin names for the analyzer.

The CTS input is indeed high at all times.  Sounds like the MAX232 chip.

K-R.

• Like 1