IGNORED

Need feedback on new game "Flip-it" (2600)

Hi all, I am new here. Been programming in Z-80 assembly for a long time, but just recently took an interest in the Atari 2600.

Here is my first attempt at a game for the 2600. 

I think it is a novel game.

You try to clear a randomly generated screen by moving the cursor and when you press the button the 9 "cells" around the cursor will "flip" from off to on or on to off.

When these block overlap you get some tricky patterns to solve.

Has a timer that stops when the board is cleared. Timer stops at 99 too (you lose).

Looking for feedback on gameplay and also on my code (like I said I am new to 6502 assembly).

Anyway, I am excited to join the Atari 2600 community. Any questions please ask.

Thanks, Bean.

The files below are updated to version 0.1 (added sound,etc)

I have posted version 0.2 in a later post if you want to try the latest version.

Flipit_0_1.asm Flipit_0_1.bin

Edited by Bean Just Bean
Updated files
  • Like 5

It is indeed a good concept for a game. I haven't figured out a good strategy to beat it yet.

I haven't looked at the code yet, but I can see in Stella that you are using too many cycles when the cursor moves, and going over 262 lines. To see for yourself, hit Alt-L in Stella to turn on console info, and see how the number of scanlines flashes to red everytime you move the cursor.

Posted (edited)

Karl, Thanks for the feedback. I will look into the issue when moving the cursor.

That code is not very elegant, so I'm sure it can be sped up.

At the least I can move a WSYNC to the middle of the routine.

Since I posted, I have added some sound and improved the joystick response.

I still need to work on better colors, a better random number generator, and handling the reset/difficulty switches.

I also want to move the timer to the far right and put the word "FLIPIT" to the left.

As for the game, the more you play you will start to recognize patterns and how to solve them. 

When I have a new version to post should I replace the files on the original post ? Or should I just make a new post with the new version ? Sorry don't know the typical protocol.

Bean

Edited by Bean Just Bean
typo

20 minutes ago, Bean Just Bean said:

I have updated the files on the first post to the new version (I'm calling it 0.1).

They aren't showing, but I assume because I am a new member.

Can you try updating the first post again?  There are definitely no attachments in it now

I edited the post, and the attachments were there and showed up once I saved it.  Probably was related to you being a new user and still under post approval moderation.  Your future posts will not need to be approved at this point, they will show up instantly.

..Al

I've been working on the game this morning.

Version 0.2:

Timer counts down to 00, instead of up to 99

Added RESET switch handling (must reset to start game)

Change random board setup

I hate to keep changing the files in the first post, so I'm gonna post the new version here.

I think this might be the final version.

Let me know what you think,

Thanks, Bean

Flipit_0_2.asm Flipit_0_2.bin

• Like 3

Hi, welcome to the 2600 community. I have some feedback for you:

• The cursor should be 4 pixels wide instead of just 2.
  • You should be able to press fire at the same spot more than once.

but the biggest things are:

• the game jumps to 263 scanlines for a frame and then jumps to 285 for a frame before finally settling back to the normal 262.
  • the scanline count goes crazy, mostly at 310 when you reset.

These two issues would most likely cause a "jump" on a real Atari 2600. I could test the game out on it if you'd like. But keep going, I like it, even though I doubt I could ever complete one puzzle. I also like that you fit in just 2k.

If I make the cursor 4 pixels wide, then you can't tell if the cell you are at is on or off.

Making you move to fire again was kind of a hack to avoid accidental multiple fires.

Does it jump to 263 when idle, or only when you move ? 

When you fire I need to check if the board is clear and that takes a lot of time. I will have to work on that.

Same with reset, takes awhile to setup the board. I will work on it.

The puzzles do get much easier after you play it awhile, but I think I will slow the timer down some.

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement.

Bean

10 hours ago, Bean Just Bean said:

Making you move to fire again was kind of a hack to avoid accidental multiple fires.

This can be solved by using a "restrainer bit" to keep track of when the joystick is held down. Let me know if you need any examples. 

On 7/18/2024 at 3:52 PM, Karl G said:

It is indeed a good concept for a game. I haven't figured out a good strategy to beat it yet.

This is my method, which may or may not be the most efficient:

• Position cursor one up and one to the right from the bottom-left most square, press button, repeat.

This each move will either eliminate a row of three or move a single square or two squares closer to being eliminated in a group of three. Any other squares eliminated as a result of this are just a bonus clear the rest of the screen.

- James

image.thumb.png.b06958e4374c9f7c88398a60a24ce7df.png

• Like 1