IGNORED

Any good repair services

Recently acquired a sears tele game 2600 that someone modded previously. It worked for a few days then it stopped. So me being me I opened it and wow whoever did this I think either kinda knew what they were doing or not at all. I found it kinda funny and weird  thats the power in was zipped tied to the board. I'm no expert on any of this so I'm asking the community. Is this worth getting repaired or is it someones headache? Does anyone know a good modding service? Worst case I can get my other 2600 modded. 

20240718_112959.jpg

20240718_114621.jpg

It's eminently repairable. The first thing I'd do is pull all of that crap out and drop a simple mod on there to see what is/isn't working.

Using a cable tie to stabilise/strengthen a power jack is perfectly fine by me. I do it on 7800 jack replacements and it, along with how I make the connections and the cut in the back of the case, mean the connection is significantly stronger than stock.

As for recommending a repair service, that more depends on your location than anything else.

Edited by juansolo
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, vicsretrogames said:

Recently acquired a sears tele game 2600 that someone modded previously. It worked for a few days then it stopped. So me being me I opened it and wow whoever did this I think either kinda knew what they were doing or not at all. I found it kinda funny and weird  thats the power in was zipped tied to the board. I'm no expert on any of this so I'm asking the community. Is this worth getting repaired or is it someones headache? Does anyone know a good modding service? Worst case I can get my other 2600 modded. 

20240718_112959.jpg

20240718_114621.jpg

Whoever did the work didn't bother to install the ESD diode/cap service on the controller ports that really should have been done. Why would that replace the power jack like that though? I mean, 2600 PSUs and 3rd party variants are easy enough to come by that this wouldn't have been needed?

As @juansolo stated, it should be repairable and would require starting with removing everything that has been added to get a better look at anything else that might have been modified. I can see by the board layout that is an NTSC 2600?

But yeah, take it back to stock condition first to at least make sure it is functioning normally and then go with a replacement AV upgrade form there. If you are in the UK, then the Cleancomp might be the most affordable solution, but if in the US, then I would go with a UAV.

• 2 weeks later...