IGNORED

2024 Spring HSC - Round 10 - Spider Man vs. Kingpin

We'll conclude this season by avoiding the annual glut of crappy Marvel super hero movies and get back to super hero basics with Spider Man vs. the Kingpin. A pretty late release, and one I never played on either the SMS or Genesis. Play on any difficulty level you like.

Sorry for the late start, but this round runs July 18 - August 7th.

3188_us-Spider-Man-vs-The-Kingpin.jpg&f=

For a bonus point, let's continue the licensed property theme and play Alf - I watched the show, but never played the game. Now's my chance!

Instructions here:

https://www.smspower.org/Manuals/SpiderManVsTheKingpin-SMS-EU

Totals

1. @wongojack 13,850 (+1)
  2. @BydoEmpire 9900 (+1)
  3. @fakecortex 8800 (+1)
Edited by BydoEmpire
  • Like 1

Ooh, I remember seeing this on Genesis, but I don't remember playing it. Also, I've been watching a lot of Alf lately! So I'm eager to try out the bonus game, hahaha. Also also, I love the Marvel movies so :P We'll see if this game is any better than the worst of the bunch, lol.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BydoEmpire said:

Never played Alf before, I have no idea what I'm doing but at least a found one cat!

image.png.ffa0f2a4fbf436a0809670accdd5b344.png

I found the cat too.

It seems that if you walk to the left or right, the screens eventually loop.  I found an area where a bathing suit was required to let Alf swim, and I also found an entrance to a cave.  The gameplay in the cave was very typical 8-bit platforming nonsense, but it was a different setting anyway and felt like progress to get there.

• Like 2

Some good behind the scenes info here for Alf!

https://segaretro.org/ALF/Development

Also, now that I'm about halfway through the final season, I can confidently say that most of the description from the back of the box is bupkis, hahaha. But I guess reminding kids that Melmac was destroyed due to nuclear holocaust is a bit of a downer for a Sega game.

• Haha 2

I’ll need to rtfm for some more info, but I got into the window and that's not nothing haha. 

SMVKP - 3,300
IMG_2056.thumb.jpeg.e6e2ed3f637e9d046dbe926fb2d52c44.jpeg

I dug the opening and how it’s more story driven than what I was expecting to be a beat em up. 

Edited by fakecortex
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, fakecortex said:

I’ll need to rtfm for some more info, but I got into the window and that not nothing haha. 

SMVKP - 3,300
IMG_2056.thumb.jpeg.e6e2ed3f637e9d046dbe926fb2d52c44.jpeg

I dug the opening and how it’s more story driven than what I was expecting to be a beat em up. 

I got through the next section after the window.  Not sure where you got stuck, but there is a sort of "netting" you can wall crawl on that connects two sections.  I fought a boss and then after that went to the sewers where I couldn't figure out what to do.

The manual is helpful, but I only read it AFTER the above experimentation.  Press both buttons to bring up the menu is something I plan to try.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2024 at 10:45 AM, wongojack said:

I got through the next section after the window.  Not sure where you got stuck, but there is a sort of "netting" you can wall crawl on that connects two sections.  I fought a boss and then after that went to the sewers where I couldn't figure out what to do.

The manual is helpful, but I only read it AFTER the above experimentation.  Press both buttons to bring up the menu is something I plan to try.

I died at who I thought was the boss. I stumbled upon the menu thing when experimenting with how to successfully scale the building haha. I think I'll go give it a read and another go.

• Like 1

I played a bit yesterday.  I figured out how to defeat Croc or Lizard or whatever he's called in this world but couldn't complete the next mini-section to move on from the sewers.  I also discovered that I had inadvertently found a points pressing technique . . . let's see if you find it too.

Anyway, I definitely want to move on from that sewer section, but I dunno how much more time I'm going to give it.  We'll see.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, wongojack said:

I played a bit yesterday.  I figured out how to defeat Croc or Lizard or whatever he's called in this world but couldn't complete the next mini-section to move on from the sewers.  I also discovered that I had inadvertently found a points pressing technique . . . let's see if you find it too.

Anyway, I definitely want to move on from that sewer section, but I dunno how much more time I'm going to give it.  We'll see.

I just beat the lizard guy also, and was looking for the key when I died. Slightly better than my previous game. I really like the comic-style dialogs in between levels.

image.png.ae0e11391ae7b5f130664074d9b74157.png

Edited by BydoEmpire
  • Like 2

Forgot to upload these yesterday. Died in the sewers. There was a pit I fell down that was really tough to climb out of. May have actually died there, don’t remember. Digging the game. 

Spidey - 7,600

IMG_2094.thumb.jpeg.ceb94cbee2e82170011776cdb295bbcd.jpeg

Alf is broken, but I wish it wasn’t bc I’m into how you collect and interact with stuff. I’ll give it another go bc I now have to sell the gold I found. The cat doesn’t get you much hahaha. 

Ol’ Alfer - 2,100

IMG_2096.thumb.jpeg.b2d4da894e0527c61f0f5653f0ecf8ef.jpeg

btw Lizard is from Spider-Man, Killer Croc is from Batman ;) SO different right? hahaha 

Edited by fakecortex
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm a glutton for punishment, so I played some more Alf yesterday. I died on the swimming area. Whilst dealing with the horrible collision detection, I thought, "Since this game is essentially broken, it would be more enjoyable if there were cheat codes." But since there wasn't a Game Genie for Master System, I was doubtful that there would be any to use on my everdrive. But alas! There's a built-in invincibility code! There's also one to collect all items (good to skip right to the end with). I was then able to play through and finish the game, which is really, really short. There are a few interesting bits along the way as far as items go, so ya gotta use your brain a little bit I suppose. Glad they put the cheat in there tho, b/c without it, it would be very frustrating and unfair, haha.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/sms/588029-alf/cheats

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1