IGNORED

Season 17 - Round 13 - Decathlon

image.jpeg.5b0aae7d65eb34b16c94af3a4719e3b1.jpeg

HIGH SCORE CLUB

Season 17 Round 13

image.png.2f1f08d9a2e9c4a0c9cacdbb7e71e4d2.pngDecathlon, The Activision for Colecovision Box Artimage.jpeg.d7afc5b6f695aa8d3f1746211e000c9f.jpeg

Game Information

Game Name: Decathlon

Released by: Original Game: David Crane/Activision 1983 . CV: Action Graphics 1984.

Settings: One Player

CV HSC High Score: 10,298 ed1475 (7/2021 HSC 14).

Manual: http://adamarchive.org/archive/Manuals/ColecoVision/Decathlon%2C The Activision.pdf

Decathlon Bonus Points: Play the game & post a score=+3

Score 1,000= +2, Score 2,000= +3, Score 4,000= +4, Score 6,000= +5, Score 7,500=+7,

Score 9,000= +10, Score 10,000 & up=+12

Break a CV HSC High Score= +10 

Set a New CV HSC Score= +15

Round Ends: Sunday August 4th at 8:00pm(PST) 11:00pm (EST)

Everyone who posts a score throughout the season will be entered into a drawing at seasons end for a special prize!

The same rules and scoring system that have been used the past few seasons will be in play this season as well.  Season 17 rules: http://atariage.com/...1-cv-hsc-rule

Final Decathlon Scores

1)10,947 Rogerpoco +3 +12 +10 +15 :-o :-o

2)10,338 Mikey50 +3 +12 +10 :-o

3)10,104 ed1475 +3 +12

4)  9,820 Northcoastgamer +3 +10

5)  8,817 DuggerVideoGames +3 +7

6)  8,486 ctelkin19 +3 +7

7)  8,235 fakecortex +3 +7

8)   7,415 TheCurlyBard +3 +5

9)  6,212 Colecovision +3 +5

10)  3,410 jblenkle +3 +3

Round 13 Totals - Including Bonus Points

1){140} Rogerpoco 

2){119} Mikey50

3){107} ed1475

4){103} Northcoastgamer

5) {91}  DuggerVideoGames

6) {88}  ctelkin19

7) {85}  fakecortex

8)  {72}  TheCurlyBard

9) {65}  Colecovision

10) {37}  jblenkle

Season Standings - After 13 Rounds

1)1096 Colecovision

2)  881 DuggerVideoGames 

3)  771 Northcoastgamer

4)  746 jblenkle

5)  495 ctelkin19

6)  473 fakecortex

7)  426 ed1475

8)   341 Mikey50

9)  140 Rogerpoco 

10)  120 TheCurlyBard

11)  116 chuckwalla

12)    83 DNA128k

ColecoVision Platform Theme Video - Platform Theme Videos - LaunchBox  Community Forums

Good Luck!

decathlon-the-activision-1983.rom

Edited by Northcoastgamer
Final Score Update
  • Like 1

Woo, the WHOLE Decathlon, huh?

That's a booger!

I managed 12,038, can't find the vid, only the pic, but that's not like me, it's SOMEWHERE on my pc, lol, mislabeled.

(This is NOT a score submission, was months ago).

Few tips, if no one minds.

Go as fast as you can, and run/jump/throw at the right time.

Kidding.

Ah, first-I'm REALLY bad at the games I am bad at. Like, worse than yur Grandkids, haha. But I'm kinda also equally as good at the few things I AM good at.

Have played many, many versions of Decathlon, finding ways to "go fast", w/o using a pencil, lol(but close...), is kinda one of my fascinations in the games.

Atari 2600-Trackball, haha, same for C64 and Atari 8bits, it makes a hard game fun, lol, hitting your marks becomes the challenge, you can max the meter.

Coleco was the toughest so far, by far, to crack.

I don't prefer it, but I can go acceptably fast with a joystick, left/right, if I have to, and I was nowhere close to the individual event W/R's, trackball wouldn't cooperate with the Coleco, nothing was helping. 

I know it's already known, but the Atari Track and Field controller is the way to go, it's NOT an "easy fix", like the trackball on other systems, you gotta beat the crap out of your arms, but it's still faster, tho you still, AFAIK, can't max the meter on Coleco Decathlon. Wouldn't swear to it, but almost.

I'm sure the effect could be replicated on EMU, with pushbuttons for anyone having an X-Arcade or something similar, I'm not sure tbh. I'd try it tho, for sure, program one pushbutton to left, the other to right, and another to throw and jump.

Unlike many/most Track and Field games, you won't get false starts on the running events-something anyone would eventually figure out, but I wasted a lot of time going slower than I needed to until I figured it out, lol. 

Don't let the hurdles, 400 meter, and 1500 meter catch you out scratching your butt, lol, know when they are coming up, you don't get a rest there.

For those trying to tap-some events seem to prefer slightly different tapping speeds. Can't remember, but seems like Long Jump is fast, and Javelin is a tad slower.

Some events, say, shotput-take one quick step/tap, stop, then go like hell. Sometimes it'll put you closer to the line when you throw, with a good meter. 

Figure out how to half-ass the first 1300 meters of the 1500 meter, w/o completely screwing it up. You DO have to use more effort than any other version of Decathlon for the first 1300 meters, but not as much as the sprint.

If you are going for an overall, make sure you get a good 100 meters, and long jump, and mebbe even the next event(shotput? too lazy to look and see). If not, just restart. Figure a good pace, and if you aren't there just abandon the game.

A good bit of that is something some people will easily automatically know, I don't mean to insult intelligence, but tbh, I've "been mentored", and know exactly the kind of stuff that's sometimes easy to miss/not think about. 

Gonna be a lot of arms hurting after this one...

:D

• Like 2

9,444. First stab at it. Need lots of practice. Hurdles are my downfall. Trying to get the "feel" and a "rhythm" with the Track n Field controller. I remember playing this one with a good friend of mine from Elmira Heights NY at his house about 40 years ago. Seems like yesterday. 

20240724_111545.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Northcoastgamer said:

9,820. Some improvement need a break.

20240724_120945.jpg

I actually plugged mine in last night, to give it a shot-

If you remember, I sent you a pic, beating the all-time score here, but wasn't during a tourney-

I'm gonna try to match/beat my best, 12k+. 

So close to 10K, Man, you gotta get it!!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ed1475 said:

Played with Coleco ADAM and Atari 2600 Track & Field controller.

IMG_3480.JPG

If you have a trackball-try that. I'm pretty sure it'll max the meter on ADAM. 

Like, PLEASE try it. 

I want to know. 

5 hours ago, Northcoastgamer said:

20240724_120945.jpg

Sweet controller! This will likely be a one and done for me, but I would totally try it with all sorts of controllers if I had...wait...*checks video game spreadsheet*... I have this cart! I'll give it a go with all sorts of controllers. So long as my system doesn't crap out on me. Which it likely will. I recall giving up on my system a bit ago b/c of all the glitching. But I do have an atari trackball @Rogerpoco so fwiw I'll give it a whirl.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ed1475 said:

Coleco ADAM with Atari 2600 Track & Field controller.

@Rogerpoco  I don't have the trackball.

IMG_3510.JPG

They aren't the easiest to find, but not impossible either-I really do believe ADAM/Trackball is the optimal way to play this, but ya, not many folks will have that magic combination of "stuff".

Jealous of the ADAM, Man, cool stuff!

• Like 1

Was testing out anything that’ll plug into the Colecovision (which managed not to glitch out on me!). My Atari trackball doesn’t register at all (just realized @Rogerpoco already said that). I didn’t want to damage any of my good joysticks, and luckily I found that one I got as a convention freebie a million years ago worked very nicely. I mean, the 1500 still broke my arm by the end, but the joystick held up. It’s an Epyx 500XJ, and the curved body is actually pretty comfortable. It allows for good handling of the joystick with an easy button press when needed. I also tried it facedown on a pillow for the 1500 and it worked fine. I’d like to try a trackball that works tho.

Always seemed like an impractical game to play with joysticks since I’m sure it’s caused many to break. 

The Activision Decathlon - 8,235

A new pb!

IMG_2054.thumb.jpeg.c47f87116bc2d1b5462f6dd45975b926.jpeg

Never thought I’d pick this thing back up and prefer to use it.

IMG_2055.thumb.jpeg.55199c32159467ae1b0edab4c1e3ae17.jpeg

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, fakecortex said:

Was testing out anything that’ll plug into the Colecovision (which managed not to glitch out on me!). My Atari trackball doesn’t register at all (just realized @Rogerpoco already said that). I didn’t want to damage any of my good joysticks, and luckily I found that one I got as a convention freebie a million years ago worked very nicely. I mean, the 1500 still broke my arm by the end, but the joystick held up. It’s an Epyx 500XJ, and the curved body is actually pretty comfortable. It allows for good handling of the joystick with an easy button press when needed. I also tried it facedown on a pillow for the 1500 and it worked fine. I’d like to try a trackball that works tho.

Always seemed like an impractical game to play with joysticks since I’m sure it’s caused many to break. 

The Activision Decathlon - 8,235

A new pb!

IMG_2054.thumb.jpeg.c47f87116bc2d1b5462f6dd45975b926.jpeg

Never thought I’d pick this thing back up and prefer to use it.

IMG_2055.thumb.jpeg.55199c32159467ae1b0edab4c1e3ae17.jpeg

Very nice!

Ya, I swear, I'm a really smart...dumbass, lol, and I'd managed to crack all the other versions, I really put work into this one, was SUCH a bummer that the trackball didn't work, and I honestly considered trying to get an ADAM, knowing the trackball worked with it, for the W/R's on the individual events, but it was just too much $ for one game.

That's a very good score, for a left/right stick running style. 

Real cart, too. 

Known you a while, mebbe even when you were brand new. 

You are in it for real, ain't ya?

Cool deal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/24/2024 at 11:43 AM, Northcoastgamer said:

9,444. First stab at it. Need lots of practice. Hurdles are my downfall. Trying to get the "feel" and a "rhythm" with the Track n Field controller. I remember playing this one with a good friend of mine from Elmira Heights NY at his house about 40 years ago. Seems like yesterday. 

20240724_111545.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, I have the WR on that-and I hit a hurdle.

Should fact-check myself, but I'm almost sure.

Like, sometimes if you hit a hurdle, and manage to tap just right, accidentally, you don't really slow down, I remember it being very odd.

Awesome, seeing your buddy!