IGNORED

The mysterious self-centering stock controller

Glefferson

Hi, everyone. My stock controller has a self-centering stick, and I don't know why how it's possible. It's a common model, without any springs or mods. I guess the rubber works as a spring and center the stick. Bellow some pics and a short video demonstrating the self-centering effect. Any thoughts?

1721621754739.jpg

1721621754729.jpg

1721622255463.jpg

1721621754747.jpg

4 hours ago, ave1 said:

That rubber boot is in good shape and gets it to recenter pretty well.  Older worn-out rubber boots will not do this, though.  Most of my 5200 joysticks have worn out rubber boots....

I think that the majority of (everyone’s) 5200 joysticks may have worn rubber boots but I guess that’s what Atari was banking on when designing the CX52 was that the rubber boots on them would act like self-centering without adding springs in the pots.

4 hours ago, ave1 said:

That rubber boot is in good shape and gets it to recenter pretty well.  Older worn-out rubber boots will not do this, though.  Most of my 5200 joysticks have worn out rubber boots....

Definitely the boot. That controllers in great shape and appears to have had little use. It still has the cover over the name plate. 

@Glefferson Nothing mysterious at all--it's a standard controller. 🙂 But, you've illustrated that the common assertion that Atari 5200 joysticks don't center is inaccurate.

I think what is really meant by "non-centering" is that there isn't much tactile indication of where the center/deadzone and directional axes are. These are the things cited when it's argued that, say, Pac-Man is hard to play. But the difference between something like the Atari 5200 joystick and a true free-floating joystick is pretty stark.

I think it's a combination of the boot, and well lubed control plates. I just popped my first one open and the plates are 100% dry and show no signs of ever having been lubed.

I may try this.  Anyone know what type of lube would be low friction, not gum up over time, and is compatible with the plastic used in both plates?

35 minutes ago, supersprint said:

I think it's a combination of the boot, and well lubed control plates. I just popped my first one open and the plates are 100% dry and show no signs of ever having been lubed.

I may try this.  Anyone know what type of lube would be low friction, not gum up over time, and is compatible with the plastic used in both plates?

White lithium grease is what I've always used...

• Like 1